Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2013, the rebirth of Neoprog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 16:04
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

2.- Marillion is no longer Prog at all

check "Gaza" from their recent album, when you have 17 spare minutes of your time
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 16:13
just glanced at Neo-Prog's 2012 Top, same old, same old (with BAROCK PROJECT being hardly Neo-Prog musically). But there are some lovely NEW bands out there, which are carrying the genre's torch like ALSO EDEN. Any recommendations of that kind?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 16:31
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

check "Gaza" from their recent album, when you have 17 spare minutes of your time

I heard it.

It's well crafted POP IMO

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 19:29
I'm listening to Comedy Of Errors (Fanfare And Fantasy) for the first time right now.  I would say it's some quite tasty neo-prog stuff! Somewhat reminiscent of 90s Pendragon, if I had to put a label on it.

As for Marillion since Seasons End, Crossover for sure...
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 03:11

I heard it.

I hate to break our cycle of agreement Ivan, but you are, I think, very wrong about Marillion. They remain, to me, one of the finest progressive bands in the world.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 03:44
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I heard it.

I hate to break our cycle of agreement Ivan, but you are, I think, very wrong about Marillion. They remain, to me, one of the finest progressive bands in the world.
I'm with Ivan since after having bought Afraid Of Sunlight.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 14:46
Ambient-rock is not prog. Even when it gets all cathartic.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 18:39

I'd love to see more people turned into that true Neo-Prog from the 80s, Marillion, IQ, Pallas, Twelfth Night, etc. I just can't get why every bloody hipster here in Ukraine (I believe you folks got the same situation in the area you live in, the internets made all youth equal, didn't they) knows all Post-Punk from Joy Division to The Sound or even more obscure bands. But when it comes to other 80s gems, the same way romantic and touching as his "Garlands" or "Strange Times", all brilliant albums if you ask me, he just didn't know them. And don't want to. Looks like you just can't tumblr sad pictures with Fish, he's not instagrammable. Darn posers!

But what we see now is mostly New Prog Renaissance, with Steven Wilson in Billboard and Marillion selling out their tours. That's lovely

I really wish I could get into neoprog.  i've tried with IQ and Marillion and i feel like i'm really missing out, but it just does nothing for me.  Is there an aspect i should focus on to get into?  i like the keys and guitar to some extent and the 80s sound on those early albums really isn't that bad.  advice?Unhappy
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 19:01
IQ got better later on. "Dark Matter" is the ultimate, but "Ever" is also very good.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 00:45
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

I really wish I could get into neoprog.  i've tried with IQ and Marillion and i feel like i'm really missing out, but it just does nothing for me.  Is there an aspect i should focus on to get into?  i like the keys and guitar to some extent and the 80s sound on those early albums really isn't that bad.  advice?Unhappy

I think you should concentrate on those times more. Neo-Prog is a very 80s movement, from "Forgotten Sons" signature lyrics to these cheesy keyboard tones. I tend to see it in that very vein, on par with THE CURE, THE SMITHS and TEARS FOR FEARS, if you ask me. The only thing different was the influences, post-punkers liked Bowie and THE CLASH, neo-proggers liked Hammil and GENESIS, and everybody loved PINK FLOYD So the key to get into that particular Prog genre is to think outside the "prog" box, I guess
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 15:24
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

IQ got better later on. "Dark Matter" is the ultimate, but "Ever" is also very good.

they got more professional but not necessarily 'better'. I still believe Tales From The Lush Attic and The Wake to be the equal of Frequency and Dark Matter. The earlier albums are more inspired but lack on production values. Frequency is the most polished album I've heard from anyone in a very long time except maybe Martin Orford's The Old Road.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 15:37
Neo-prog to me, simply put, symphonic prog in structure but without being rooted in 1970's technology / lyrical concepts.  The three 'classic' Neo bands, IQ, Marillion and Pendagon have evolved their sound over the years to match technology.  The twelve strings have been replaced by distorted heavily effected sweeping guitars, the Mellotrons and organs have been replaced by modern keyboard technology.  Gone are the sweeping tales of elves and mythical creatures replaced by modern gritty tales of love or urban noir.  You can watch the progression of those three bands as their careers evolved, stylistically the music is somewhat similar (Marillion being the exception) but the sound is totally different and has progressed over the years.  The Neo classic bands have evolved and with it, so has the genre.  Yes, I have no problem what so ever including a brand new band in the Neo genre if it fits what the genre has evolved to.

Yeah, when it was initially labeled, it was a few bands but as those pioneers evolved, so did the definition of the genre.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 19:54
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

they got more professional but not necessarily 'better'. I still believe Tales From The Lush Attic and The Wake to be the equal of Frequency and Dark Matter. The earlier albums are more inspired but lack on production values. Frequency is the most polished album I've heard from anyone in a very long time except maybe Martin Orford's The Old Road.

I maybe agree on Tales from the Lush Attic. It's a lovely album. The Wake sounds well... not quite as lush! It seems a bit sparse to me now, anyway, as I recall.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 23:01
Progjester-thanks for the input.

Roland-excellent, excellent explanation of neoprog. it all makes sense now. Wink
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 14:28

I maybe agree on Tales from the Lush Attic. It's a lovely album. The Wake sounds well... not quite as lush! It seems a bit sparse to me now, anyway, as I recall.

its meant to be although I reckon IQ never bettered Widows Peak and The Magic Roundabout for sheer raw emotional power
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 14:34
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Neo-prog to me, simply put, symphonic prog in structure but without being rooted in 1970's technology / lyrical concepts.  The three 'classic' Neo bands, IQ, Marillion and Pendagon have evolved their sound over the years to match technology.  The twelve strings have been replaced by distorted heavily effected sweeping guitars, the Mellotrons and organs have been replaced by modern keyboard technology.  Gone are the sweeping tales of elves and mythical creatures replaced by modern gritty tales of love or urban noir.  You can watch the progression of those three bands as their careers evolved, stylistically the music is somewhat similar (Marillion being the exception) but the sound is totally different and has progressed over the years.  The Neo classic bands have evolved and with it, so has the genre.  Yes, I have no problem what so ever including a brand new band in the Neo genre if it fits what the genre has evolved to.

Yeah, when it was initially labeled, it was a few bands but as those pioneers evolved, so did the definition of the genre.

The neo prog bands always used gritty emotional themes. The lyrics were a lot more meaningfull to me as they dealt with horrid feelings that I was having at the time (early eighties) as I tried to grow into a man. Misplaced Childhood was freighteningly good as were the first couple of IQ albums. I think gradually these bands have lost their emotional edge but have replaced it with more polished , well produced albums. They understand their audience well. The idea of evolution is totally a matter of opinion. I see it as change that is not better but I'm happy to go with it all the same. I would rather Marillion and IQ still existed than not.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 14:43
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I'm listening to Comedy Of Errors (Fanfare And Fantasy) for the first time right now.  I would say it's some quite tasty neo-prog stuff! Somewhat reminiscent of 90s Pendragon, if I had to put a label on it.As for Marillion since Seasons End, Crossover for sure...

Agreed cause albums like MARBLES and BRAVE, which are MARILLIONS best I find with HOGARTH, seem to not have that Neo feel to it. Doesn't sound symphonic to me in anyway.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 14:48

My man. You forgot ARENA. They are among the major 3 where by I would put them ahead of PENDRAGON in a heart beat. Good point though. Interesting.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 14:54

The neo prog bands always used gritty emotional themes. The lyrics were a lot more meaningfull to me as they dealt with horrid feelings that I was having at the time (early eighties) as I tried to grow into a man. Misplaced Childhood was freighteningly good as were the first couple of IQ albums. I think gradually these bands have lost their emotional edge but have replaced it with more polished , well produced albums. They understand their audience well. The idea of evolution is totally a matter of opinion. I see it as change that is not better but I'm happy to go with it all the same. I would rather Marillion and IQ still existed than not.

IQ are just brilliant when it comes to lyrical themes and meanings in their music. You want to talk about about music that looks right into your the heart of your core being listen to the albums Subterenea, the seventh house, Ever andThe wake and after you do you'll be a changed man. Speaking to you Mr. Rolland cause I know Richard already has. Enjoy if you already haven't. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 14:57
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I heard it.

Well they (MARILLION) are still prog just a different breed of prog. Theya re not NEO anymore.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>