Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2013, the rebirth of Neoprog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 13:37
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Has anyone been enjoying Clive Nolan's `Alchemy' prog/stage show/rock opera as much as me?!

Such a lovely gothic and romantic work, so much effort has gone into the lavish production, with interesting characters, wonderful arrangements and flawlessly grand performances!

I think fans of Wakeman's `Journey...' would really go for a lot of this album!

I really enjoyed the performance of the rock opera "She" by Caamora, another Nolan's project, the "Alchemy" is the suite, can't wait to see that in DVD.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 15:07
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Can we say that IQ are the kings of Neo prog? Too bold? I think they've been so consistant since 1993 by keeping their sound in check with the Neo genre itself and expanding it beautifully. FREQUENCY was brilliant! Modern Neo at its best!! Lol

That works for me ...I'm a fan of IQ , but I often have trouble seeing the difference (tech aside..) between some modern symphonic bands and the neo prog bands.
IMHO neo prog doesn't get any better than Dark Matter and Frequency.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 03:50
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Can we say that IQ are the kings of Neo prog? Too bold? I think they've been so consistant since 1993 by keeping their sound in check with the Neo genre itself and expanding it beautifully. FREQUENCY was brilliant! Modern Neo at its best!! Lol

That works for me ...I'm a fan of IQ , but I often have trouble seeing the difference (tech aside..) between some modern symphonic bands and the neo prog bands.

Yes, i think the same, for a long time, both of you. You can't be a newcomer forever... Same thing could be said for Marillion, but there are not symphonic rock.

Emile M. Cioran

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 09:54
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Yes, i think the same, for a long time, both of you. You can't be a newcomer forever... Same thing could be said for Marillion, but there are not symphonic rock.

I would never discount Marillion with in a lot of Neo categories, but for the best all time? I think IQ.
Marillion doesn't fit the Neo spectrum of sound anymore. They sound like a good progressive rock group with some symphonic nature. I think Marillion decided to lose their bonified Neo sound they had after season's End.
Very special album though and good! :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Guitar Noir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 17:12

Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

I would never discount Marillion with in a lot of Neo categories, but for the best all time? I think IQ.
Marillion doesn't fit the Neo spectrum of sound anymore. They sound like a good progressive rock group with some symphonic nature. I think Marillion decided to lose their bonified Neo sound they had after season's End.
Very special album though and good! :)

The last traces of neo on a Mariilion cd, to my ears, are on Afraid Of Sunlight.  After that it was a whole new ball game.
"Sometimes the afterglow isn't enough and we have to move on." Steve Hackett
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 19:27

Nick, I wonder if you've heard a wonderful Neo band called Twin Age? They don't exist anymore (to my knowledge), but their first two albums are superb, especially the second one here:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1358

The singer is not the greatest, but still has a very distinctive style!

Thanks for the 411 on Twin Age, I liked the music and I will check them out.  The singer is kinda
80's rock sounding, but I don't care, its hard to escape the timbre of one's own voice.

Is your avatar from the movie "Krull"?

Cheers!
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 07:50
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Nick, I wonder if you've heard a wonderful Neo band called Twin Age? They don't exist anymore (to my knowledge), but their first two albums are superb, especially the second one here:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1358

The singer is not the greatest, but still has a very distinctive style!
Thanks for the 411 on Twin Age, I liked the music and I will check them out.  The singer is kinda80's rock sounding, but I don't care, its hard to escape the timbre of one's own voice.Is your avatar from the movie "Krull"?Cheers!

Hey there Dennis! I hope you can track those first two Twin Age albums down still, especially `Lialim High', I cherish both of them very much! The singer does grow on you the more you listen to the albums, the main problem is that occasionally (especially more on the first album `Month of the Year) the music is overloaded with too many lyrics. `Lialim High' has greater stretches of instrumental passages!

My avatar is from the 70's sci-fi movie `The Black Hole', that was the evil lead robot Maximillian! Kind of the Frankenstein's monster to the mad scientist in the flick!
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 10:00

Hey there Dennis! I hope you can track those first two Twin Age albums down still, especially `Lialim High', I cherish both of them very much! The singer does grow on you the more you listen to the albums, the main problem is that occasionally (especially more on the first album `Month of the Year) the music is overloaded with too many lyrics. `Lialim High' has greater stretches of instrumental passages!

My avatar is from the 70's sci-fi movie `The Black Hole', that was the evil lead robot Maximillian! Kind of the Frankenstein's monster to the mad scientist in the flick!

The Black Hole!  That's where I saw it.

Thanks so much for the referral for Lialim High.  My buddy helped me track it down.  I love the fast swinging
drums on the1st song.  Very groovin!Cool

Cheers!
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 10:21
^ yeah. Those Twin Age albums are a really hard find.
Hope you find them.

Also. If Anyone is interested. There is a band called BEYOND TWILIGHT and the album is called SECTION X and the album, to me, borders on a Neo prog metal sound that is quite fantastic. The keyboardist in the band is absolutely fantastic and reminds me of the great Clive Nolan. Anyway, if your looking for something different give the album a go.
It's found under the prog metal genre listing here.

Enjoy friends!

Oh a SECTION X is one of thee most bazzare concept albums I've ever heard.
It's about brain mapping and cloning. Seriously weird but awesome.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2013 at 21:26
No worries, Dennis, I hope you like it! Especially enjoy that final instrumental track `The Final Decision'!

The description of your album sounds cool, Nick!

I've got an album (which I bought at the exact time as those Twin Age albums) called `When Silence Will Be Unbearable' from 1996 by a band called Taliesyn. They're not on the Prog Archives, and there's barely a trace of them on the net, but they almost fit that same description you mentioned above - Neo-prog metal - with a ton of keyboards, crunchy riffs and a distinctive female singer! I think you in particular would really go for them! 70's Genesis with a harder grunt and a tough female singer. I'll have to see if I can find any clips of it.

Perhaps I should consider getting them added to the Archives, it's a fine little album!

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Taliesyn/When_Silence_Will_Be_Unbearable/18117
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 09:08
^ cool Micheal. Yeah. Check out the section x album.
Tracks 1,2,7,8 are distinctly Neo to me with a beautiful edge.
Strong choruses in those songs as well, especially the 9min epic ending track Section x. :)
I'll check out that band link as well that you sent me on metal Archives. Boy, I should join that site at some point. Lol.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 09:18
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Hey there Dennis! I hope you can track those first two Twin Age albums down still, especially `Lialim High', I cherish both of them very much! The singer does grow on you the more you listen to the albums, the main problem is that occasionally (especially more on the first album `Month of the Year) the music is overloaded with too many lyrics. `Lialim High' has greater stretches of instrumental passages! My avatar is from the 70's sci-fi movie `The Black Hole', that was the evil lead robot Maximillian! Kind of the Frankenstein's monster to the mad scientist in the flick!

The Black Hole!  That's where I saw it.

Thanks so much for the referral for Lialim High.  My buddy helped me track it down.  I love the fast swinging

drums on the1st song.  Very groovin!Cool

Cheers!

Hey Dennis! Let me know if you end up loving Twin Age or if you get a hold of any of their albums. ;)
And I'd be happy to recommend for Neo prog if you like.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 01:50
I'm wondering if we should start a proper Neo Appreciation Thread (although surely there's already one floating around here somewhere?), but this will have to do for now!

I wanted to ask...does anyone know if IQ's `Frequency' is a concept album, or at least know what a lot of the tracks are about? I'd never paid as close a listen until right now, and I was curious to know what anyone knows (or thinks) about the words of the album!
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 05:14

I'm wondering if we should start a proper Neo Appreciation Thread (although surely there's already one floating around here somewhere?), but this will have to do for now!

I wanted to ask...does anyone know if IQ's `Frequency' is a concept album, or at least know what a lot of the tracks are about? I'd never paid as close a listen until right now, and I was curious to know what anyone knows (or thinks) about the words of the album!

Not a concept according with Jerry Lucky interview :

JL: Many of your albums seem to have, if not concepts, general themes…is that a fair observation?

PN: We did originally discuss the idea of making ‘Frequency’ a concept album but in the end the concept was distilled into the title track. For me, albums are always a snapshot of where we are individually and collectively at the time and when I’m working on lyrics it’s often true that a certain mood or atmosphere will work itself into all the songs. ‘The Wake’ and ‘Subterranea’ are definite concepts, in that they have a story running through them and the lyrics are written in a more narrative style but I view the other albums as collections of impressions. On ‘Frequency’, there’s more of a reflective lyrical mood, I found myself thinking back on the early days of the band and there are references to that in ‘Life Support’ and ‘Closer’.

In sea of tranquility web site, another quote from Pete :

"
The songs on this album aren't linked lyrically, there isn't a narrative which carries through them all, but there are musical phrases which are re-used and there's an overall atmosphere which binds them all together."

Emile M. Cioran

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 16:43

A Neo thread!! Love it. Let's do it! If we can't find one of course. ;)

As for Frequency it is, in my opinion, a theme album and not a concept album. The songs don't link lyrically through a narrative point of view. Also. I find that FREQUENCY is set up a lot in the way of how POWER WONDOWS was by RUSH, strictly from a theme standpoint. All the songs deal with power (electricity) and technology of How that power has been used. It's a very clever album and it did remind me of how RUSH structured power Windows, which was based on all different forms of power technology. It really is a sensational album. Glad you got to hear it.
:)
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 09:34
Now that we're almost at the end of 2013, it's time to revive this discussion.  How have things panned out? 

The top albums of 2013:

Of which the top 50 has 8 Neo albums.  8 albums in the top 50 of the year looks good, certainly.

But the top 50 of 2012 had 8 Neo albums as well, and the top 50 of 2011 also had 8 Neo albums.

So what's new about 2013, exactly?

Edited by Stool Man - December 14 2013 at 09:45
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 09:49
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Now that we're almost at the end of 2013, it's time to revive this discussion.  How have things panned out? 

Listen. I think it's been great with in the genre itself, and I guess maybe we could say it has been a rebirthing.

T, THE PYCHEDELIC ENSEMBLE, DEAD HEROES CLUB, COMEDY OF ERRORS and AIRBAG have all released terrific albums. It's been a great year for NEO. Best in a long time.

Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 10:42
But why better than in 2012?  Same number of highly rated Neo albums.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 01:43
I don't think I have any neo prog albums in my 2013 list of favourite albums , which seems to be mainly crossover or symphonic. I haven't checked out the Comedy of Errors or Airbag releases though. Come to think of it may not have bought any 2013 neo prog albums this year other than the reissue of Tales From The Lush Attic.

Which one should I get then?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 02:39
Richard, just about everyone I know loves the Comedy of Errors one, but to me it was the dud of the year. Certainly pleasant, melodic and upbeat, but so wishy washy I thought Charlie Brown was playing on it! It grew on me a little, but it's so squeaky clean I want to roll around in mud after I listen to it!

But even some of my good friends like Tom Ozric and Nick rate it very highly, so clearly I'm the one with the problem!

The most recent by Flamborough Head from a few months ago sits right at the top of Neo for me, check out Tsizrmay's (I bet I got that name wrong lol!) review from a few days ago, he totally praised it far better than I could have!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>