Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2013, the rebirth of Neoprog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 01:41
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Frost - The Rockfield Files

Want to get my hands on this one. I did enjoy their first album 'Milliontown' and John Mitchell as a guitarist I think I'd put in my top 10 of all time favourites. Very very good player. One of Neo's best.
Nice to see it made your list for 2013 as well, Richard. Sorry the year hasn't been as good as the last for you, but it sounds like 'The Rockfield files' put a smile on your face.

cheers Nicholas, yep its been an ok year for me but then I simply don't have enough time or money to sift through everything out there. To some extent The Three Monks and Frost pulled the year back for me. Add possibly my favourite Spocks Beard album to date and Steven Wilson's superb album then perhaps I am being a bit overly down on the year. Some decent debuts as well  from Fright Pig , Sound Of Contact and Lifesigns. Did I say it was not  a great yearCoolLOL

And a big cheers you, Richard! Merry Christmas as well!
I'm glad to see and hear that 2013 gave you a few great spins...I think it's been an exceptional year for Neo Prog releases as well. I think one of the better Neo albums this year was Cosmograf's The Man Left In Space and T's Psychoanorexia. Catch ya in 2014 where I know and will be talking about IQ's upcoming new abum.
I think it's gonna be great, but FREQUENCY will be very tough to top!

IQ are always reliable so should be good although this will be the first album without any influence from Martin Orford so would be interesting to see if there is going to be a change of direction away from their signature sound. Would they risk it?! Ok probably not.Cool

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 02:35

IQ are always reliable so should be good although this will be the first album without any influence from Martin Orford so would be interesting to see if there is going to be a change of direction away from their signature sound. Would they risk it?! Ok probably not.Cool

Probably won't but probably should!

The band has nothing to lose, and now would be the perfect opportunity for them to defiantly surprise us. `Frequency' offered little glimpses of what a new keyboard player could offer, while still playing it safe and not shaking the Orford sound too much.

But whatever they offer, one thing is for sure, they've never put out a single lousy album (everyone can argue amongst themselves over the merits or lack of of `Nomzamo' and `..Sitting Comfortably' if they like), so I doubt they'll disappoint us this time. They don't feel the need to drop an allbum every single year, they take their time crafting their work, to amazing results!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 18:55
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Probably won't but probably should!

The band has nothing to lose, and now would be the perfect opportunity for them to defiantly surprise us. `Frequency' offered little glimpses of what a new keyboard player could offer, while still playing it safe and not shaking the Orford sound too much.

But whatever they offer, one thing is for sure, they've never put out a single lousy album (everyone can argue amongst themselves over the merits or lack of of `Nomzamo' and `..Sitting Comfortably' if they like), so I doubt they'll disappoint us this time. They don't feel the need to drop an allbum every single year, they take their time crafting their work, to amazing results!

Great, optimistic attitude mr. Michael. I'm sure things are gonna materialize very well in the studio, and some familiar players are back into the fold. I'm especially excited about having Tim Esau on bass while Paul Cookieman returns to the snare throne. I'm very excited and yes it is my most anticipated release of 2014.
5 years is long enough for this progger!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 19:01

Frost - The Rockfield Files

Want to get my hands on this one. I did enjoy their first album 'Milliontown' and John Mitchell as a guitarist I think I'd put in my top 10 of all time favourites. Very very good player. One of Neo's best.
Nice to see it made your list for 2013 as well, Richard. Sorry the year hasn't been as good as the last for you, but it sounds like 'The Rockfield files' put a smile on your face.

cheers Nicholas, yep its been an ok year for me but then I simply don't have enough time or money to sift through everything out there. To some extent The Three Monks and Frost pulled the year back for me. Add possibly my favourite Spocks Beard album to date and Steven Wilson's superb album then perhaps I am being a bit overly down on the year. Some decent debuts as well  from Fright Pig , Sound Of Contact and Lifesigns. Did I say it was not  a great yearCoolLOL

And a big cheers you, Richard! Merry Christmas as well!
I'm glad to see and hear that 2013 gave you a few great spins...I think it's been an exceptional year for Neo Prog releases as well. I think one of the better Neo albums this year was Cosmograf's The Man Left In Space and T's Psychoanorexia. Catch ya in 2014 where I know and will be talking about IQ's upcoming new abum.
I think it's gonna be great, but FREQUENCY will be very tough to top!

I sense no fear and no risk. IQ has a formula and its working. I think our little Neo hearts are in for it real good.
I would hope the next album would be a good blend between Frequency and The Seventh House.
Looking forward to another 13-14min epic. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 11:47
It Bites are still neo after all these years.
milesm1uk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 10:28
Lets hope so, I love Prog Metal but I am a Neo Prog fan more. My teenage years were around the time of IQ, Marillion, Pendragon, Twelfth Night and Galahad  the list can go on.... to name a few were up and coming and appearing on the Friday Rock Show etc.
Miles
OLD ROCKERS RULE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678