Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen did Prog first "Jump the Shark"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 13:29
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Prog jumped the Shark in 1969.

Dare to say I'm wrong or drunk. Stern Smile

Possibly both.

Nope, still sober.
But I'm reconsidering my statement: the year of the Shark was 1968.

I'm not quite sure why, butLOL
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
otto pankrock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 19:03
Tales From Topographic Oceans
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 19:17
"Follow You Follow Me"
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 02:45
when it started being one song per album, or four 20 minute songs. lol, in all seriousness when it became more commercial but it's back now..
nuuskamuikkunen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 06:15
That would be after the release of In the Court of the Crimson King then. Smile
mageestout View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 06:51
How about NEVER?????
Because prog is all about "jumping the shark"
Cheers,
Scott
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 21:59
Some prog fans seem to think it's when Rick Wakeman did his ice show thingy. Big smile Not sure what tour that was. King Arthur on ice maybe. Anyway, it seems like as good a moment as any.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 08:38
Originally posted by mageestout mageestout wrote:

Paying $250 to meet someone, chat with them for 4 minutes and get a photo with them. Hell, that's better than what a prostitute makes. I would never pay that amount or anything close to it to meet someone (including a prostitute), no matter who it is.

"We're only in it for the money" LOL
ProgressiveMike View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 11:42
Moshkito:
I am writing you to let you know that you are absolutely wrong in your objection to my earlier comment regarding that Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn have ruined progressive rock. I haven't been personally or professionally injured by these men.

I have been severely let down by Asia and by the band that Yes has become. For me, Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes represent the epitome of what I can only seem to describe as: that terrible eighties sound many prog bands adopted. The reason this would qualify (for me)as "jumping the shark" is because pop music in the eighties (and for the most part throughout time) have been created for the purpose of generating money. There are examples innumerable of the record industry (particularly since the late 90's) apparently signing acts of no artistic value, allowing them to sell as many albums as possible in the realm of a fad group, then allowing that group to disappear in the shadow of "the next big thing." Recall for instance the so called Nu Metal movement. Real hip with the kids for about four years, and yet even in such a small span I can only imagine the profits from the period.

This formula of (what I see as) telling the masses what's hip and what to do, then allowing the masses to do it, and then offering the masses something (almost) brand new just in time is precisely the reason I don't listen to contemporary pop music. The music these artists make is often quickly exposed to be not much more than a gimmick combined with brilliant marketing. And everyone might feel ashamed of themselves for enjoying it (and include the artist on their group of VERY guilty pleasures) if not for the next latest and greatest teen icon who mixes radio pop with electronic "dub-step."

For me, progressive rock is just the opposite. This is why I love prog so much. It's hard to argue that prog isn't self indulgent (outrageously so at times) or somewhat pretentious, but it's equally hard to argue that prog isn't at the very least excellent musicianship coupled with interesting song writing (which once again, in my not so humble opinion, are both qualities routinely absent in pop music). When Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn came onto the scene, the took a form of music and a group of musicians and taught them that music isn't about artistry, personal satisfaction with ones art, it's not about "the music," and it damn sure isn't about the fans. Music is about selling as many units as humanly possible.

Of course, I write this entirely in my own opinion and retrospect as I was not listening to music when the Buggles came on the scene, nor was I listening to prog rock (in fact I hadn't been born until 6 years later). But the one constant in my life has been an unending and ever-growing love for music. If some are unfamiliar with the feeling, it sometimes makes one rigid in ones own passions and beliefs, and unyielding in the event of encountering the passions and beliefs of another, and although I know this, I cannot help but to indulge my own pretension at times. However this post and the post previous were not to in some way get back at Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn for helping to evolve the prog sound into something much more commercial. It was simply to express that I have taken notice that Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn seem to be at the center of this change in sound.

M27Barney:
Thank you for handling my response to your post with much greater maturity than I responded to it! You have class to spare, sir. I did misunderstand the post as something vicious. I apologize for my rude response. I was quite upset at the time.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 10:09
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Prog hasn't jumped the shark at all - not even close.

Still MID-FLIGHT, baby, and there it's going to stay forever!

Yep, well said! 
There are some prog bands over the time that might have jumped the shark, but not the genre as a whole really. 

Well said,both of you.

Well said all of you.

Well I'm probably not going to get a well said for this one but prog bit the dust sometime in the mid seventies. There are a lot of bands that continued on but the whole concept had run it's course by 1975. After that it was either rehash or a complete change in style. Best example is Genesis. I remember hearing prog on FM radio when I was a kid going through my Elvis phase back in the early seventies. You<ll be lucky to hear anything like even the most mainstream early seventies prog on the radio these days. If you're lucky you might hear Aqualung or something from DSOTM.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - June 06 2013 at 10:09
Jonathan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 17:05

There was a Prog Band named Badger and they put out a Live Album that was Prog but then they put out their First Studio Album....

And it was a Soul Album. That was definately one of the first moments when Prog "Jumped the Shark".

Edited by Jonathan - June 06 2013 at 17:06
"Do not do to others as you don't want done to yourself."- Confucius
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 17:58
Originally posted by Jonathan Jonathan wrote:

There was a Prog Band named Badger and they put out a Live Album that was Prog but then they put out their First Studio Album....

And it was a Soul Album. That was definately one of the first moments when Prog "Jumped the Shark".
Ya, Badger was Tony Kaye's band after he left Yes.  I think their 1st album, "One Live Badger" is One Lousy Record LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 18:05
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Well I'm probably not going to get a well said for this one but prog bit the dust sometime in the mid seventies. There are a lot of bands that continued on but the whole concept had run it's course by 1975. After that it was either rehash or a complete change in style. Best example is Genesis. I remember hearing prog on FM radio when I was a kid going through my Elvis phase back in the early seventies. You<ll be lucky to hear anything like even the most mainstream early seventies prog on the radio these days. If you're lucky you might hear Aqualung or something from DSOTM.
When I was a kid I remember hearing "Lucky Man" & "Living in the Past" on AM radio!  Today if you hear anything from Aqualung or DSOTM it's because it's considered "classic rock" not prog Wink
Vinyl Connection View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 21:03
I wonder whether some of the things we're sharing are not so much about musicality but more those cringe-worthy moments that music periodically throws up. Like Greg Lake's $10k on-stage ancient carpets. Or indeed, 'Follow you, follow me' 
www.vinylconnection.com.au
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 00:44
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

When I was a kid I remember hearing "Lucky Man" & "Living in the Past" on AM radio!  Today if you hear anything from Aqualung or DSOTM it's because it's considered "classic rock" not prog Wink
I heard Roundabout on my sister's car radio today from a station in NY. But I guess that's classic rock. I heard the 2:35 version of Hocus Pocus all the time on AM radio when it came out as a single in '73. They also had it on a K-Tel sampler called Fantastic along with Crocodile Rock by Elton John, Little Willy by the Sweet as well as other crap by Donny Osmond, Gary Glitter, Rod Stewart and Tony Orlando & Dawn if you can believe it. Prog was a very short lived thing. I can't understand why there are so many bands here that don't fall into that category. But then again I was the one who added Larry Coryell. Probably one of the greatest guitarists who ever lived but not prog.

Prog jumped the shark a bit before Fonzie jumped the shark on Happy Days.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 00:46
Originally posted by Vinyl Connection Vinyl Connection wrote:

I wonder whether some of the things we're sharing are not so much about musicality but more those cringe-worthy moments that music periodically throws up. Like Greg Lake's $10k on-stage ancient carpets. Or indeed, 'Follow you, follow me' 
Oh, but it was a nice carpet Tongue

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 01:10
^ love that pic , looks like Cal Jam judging by the bit of the rainbow you can see on the left

yep that rug , Carl's half a ton drum riser and Emerson's 'flying' Moog. ELP jumped the shark collectivelyBig smile
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 01:33
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ love that pic , looks like Cal Jam judging by the bit of the rainbow you can see on the left

yep that rug , Carl's half a ton drum riser and Emerson's 'flying' Moog. ELP jumped the shark collectivelyBig smile
Yes it's Cal Jam. Yeah with what Keith and Carl had on stage, a carpet for Greg does not look too much of an excess LOL
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 04:06
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yeah that winged Moog was also a bit of a shark jump LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 06:48
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by Vinyl Connection Vinyl Connection wrote:

Oh, but it was a nice carpet Tongue

This is prog in all it's cheesy glory. Didn't lake get it to prevent him from getting electrocuted again. Heard something about that once.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>