Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zeppelin Celebration Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Led Zeppelin Celebration Day
    Posted: May 07 2013 at 02:46
Forgive me, as I might be late in learning this. Have any of you seen/heard clips from the Zep reunion concert? OMG! They're awful! I mean, really, really, really bad!!!

And they released this crap to the public! I simply cannot comprehend how any musicians with the least bit of integrity could do that. It's appalling.

Page, who was never good, is downright sloppy with tons of mistakes. Plant's voice is shot. He lets the audience sing a lot of the parts, or he sings an octave lower or in a different key. God, he's horrific.

The only one who does a great job is John Paul Jones. He was always my favorite member of the band. In the vid, he plays keys and bass pedals on 'Stairway.' He never got his due.

Anyway, avoid this DVD/CD! The YT clips I viewed shocked me. RIP, Zep. (Never was a big fan anyway.)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 07:07
It's been out for a while now.
To be honest it's not brilliant but for a one-off reunion it's not that bad. Plant does sing most of the songs in a lower key but considering most of the originals are in a key that few mortals can reach, he's entitled to drop them a bit at his age.
And since you've never been a big fan anyway, it's not really surprising that you're not impressed with it.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 07:15
Genesis shifted down a key or two here and there on their 2007 tour. These guys reach a certain age and cannot hit those notes. It's fairly common and hardly crime of the century.

I've not seen the Zep reunion film, but I suspect it's mediocre at best, and probably better if you were there. A bunch of guys in their sixties playing music from over 40 years ago, but minus the energy, charisma and sexuality with which it was supposed to be presented the first time round, is never going to be that great is it? Best avoided if it upsets you.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 07:23
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

A bunch of guys in their sixties fifties playing music from over 40 years ago, but minus the energy, charisma and sexuality with which it was supposed to be presented the first time round, is never going to be that great is it? Best avoided if it upsets you.

You just described my band almost perfectly Andy.Tongue
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 06:45
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

A bunch of guys in their sixties fifties playing music from over 40 years ago, but minus the energy, charisma and sexuality with which it was supposed to be presented the first time round, is never going to be that great is it? Best avoided if it upsets you.

You just described my band almost perfectly Andy.Tongue

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 08:25
Enjoyable and recommended.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 09:21
I've been keen to buy it for a while now, and I've purposely avoided watching/listening to any previews.  Generally, it bothers me when a band changes the keys to their songs (though it's definitely understandable), as I consider the original key to be a key (ha) part of the song itself.  And I would have expected Zeppelin to do this - Plant's voice is a lot different these days, and I think he still has the chops to pull off a good vocal performance, albeit in a different register from Zeppelin's usual range (witness his album with Ally Krauss).  I'm enough of a Zeppelin fan that I would like to own the CD and/or DVD just to take part in the occasion, which I really didn't think would ever happen.  Generally, reviews have been quite positive - probably from people who are sympathetic to the demands on the band that this material presents at such an advanced age.  Could a younger cover band have done it better?  Probably.  But the sense of occasion, especially for a band this near and dear to my heart, is probably worth enduring a few bum notes and adjusted key signatures.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 22:21
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Generally, it bothers me when a band changes the keys to their songs (though it's definitely understandable), as I consider the original key to be a key (ha) part of the song itself.

Me too.

I think Celebration Day is alright. I'd rather hear a comfortable Robert Plant than not, because I suspect it wouldn't be a cool listen hearing him try to hit all those high notes. LOL
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 03:55
Originally posted by humor4u1959 humor4u1959 wrote:

Plant's voice is shot. He lets the audience sing a lot of the parts, or he sings an octave lower or in a different key. God, he's horrific.

Listening to it now, I wish my voice was as "shot" as Plant's, he can still sing higher than I can!

The only bit I can hear him "letting the audience sing" is the "ah ah" bits in "Black Dog", which he's done for years anyway.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 06:17
What??
That's a great concert with high energies, just as I would expect Zep to be. I'm so happy I bought it.
Of course before buying it, I thought it might be bad, but after listening to the first song from a friend's copy I thought " Ok I'm getting this!!"
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 06:58
I have it. Not watched  it yet  but the general consensus seems to be that it is amazing. The bits  I have seen look great.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 08:01

Forgive me, as I might be late in learning this. Have any of you seen/heard clips from the Zep reunion concert? OMG! They're awful! I mean, really, really, really bad!!!

And they released this crap to the public! I simply cannot comprehend how any musicians with the least bit of integrity could do that. It's appalling.

Page, who was never good, is downright sloppy with tons of mistakes. Plant's voice is shot. He lets the audience sing a lot of the parts, or he sings an octave lower or in a different key. God, he's horrific.

The only one who does a great job is John Paul Jones. He was always my favorite member of the band. In the vid, he plays keys and bass pedals on 'Stairway.' He never got his due.

Anyway, avoid this DVD/CD! The YT clips I viewed shocked me. RIP, Zep. (Never was a big fan anyway.)

Jimmy Page was very accomplished as a player in the early 60's...but what the hell happened? I have recording sessions of Page with Sonny Boy Williamson where his guitar contains zero distortion. His sound has the tone quality of a George Benson. He was much cleaner when he played on the YARDBIRDS album LITTLE GAMES..but still on a downslide at that point in time and specifically on electric. He was VERY schooled in the area of the open tuning style European Folk. He mastered most or all of the guitar styles evident on Pentangle and Fairport Convention albums. Some of the Led Zeppelin songs contained more than 14 or 15 chord variations, yet his electric playing was often horrific. What the hell happened to him? Jeff Beck was his understudy so figure that one out? I just never understood how a guitar player with all that knowledge could end up sounding like a 10 year old frustrated with the pentatonic scale.  
humor4u1959 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 22:48

Genesis shifted down a key or two here and there on their 2007 tour. These guys reach a certain age and cannot hit those notes. It's fairly common and hardly crime of the century.

I've not seen the Zep reunion film, but I suspect it's mediocre at best, and probably better if you were there. A bunch of guys in their sixties playing music from over 40 years ago, but minus the energy, charisma and sexuality with which it was supposed to be presented the first time round, is never going to be that great is it? Best avoided if it upsets you.

Uh...I have news for you. Genesis lowered the key on ALL songs on their 2007 tour except for 2, 'Follow You, Follow Me' and another one that escapes me now. They said this in interviews. But, Collins sounded good! I have no problem with that.

Plant, on the other hand, was horrible. As a musician, yes, it upsets me when bands put out crap and seem to have no pride. They know how dumb some die-hard fans can be. And they laugh all the way to the bank.
humor4u1959 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 23:02
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Jimmy Page was very accomplished as a player in the early 60's...but what the hell happened? I have recording sessions of Page with Sonny Boy Williamson where his guitar contains zero distortion. His sound has the tone quality of a George Benson. He was much cleaner when he played on the YARDBIRDS album LITTLE GAMES..but still on a downslide at that point in time and specifically on electric. He was VERY schooled in the area of the open tuning style European Folk. He mastered most or all of the guitar styles evident on Pentangle and Fairport Convention albums. Some of the Led Zeppelin songs contained more than 14 or 15 chord variations, yet his electric playing was often horrific. What the hell happened to him? Jeff Beck was his understudy so figure that one out? I just never understood how a guitar player with all that knowledge could end up sounding like a 10 year old frustrated with the pentatonic scale.  

Thank you, Toddler! First of all, Page was a heroin addict for a long time, but one cannot blame his playing on that. Keith Richards did some of his best stuff while he was a junkie.
I never thought Page was a great guitarist. Beck is head and shoulders above him and he no longer uses a pick.
Don't get me wrong. I love some Zep stuff. I think Page is excellent on Rain Song, for instance. It's just that I was shocked when I heard and saw these reunion clips after people who were there told me, "They were tremendous!" Shows how musically clueless fans can be when it comes to their old favorites. I'd complain even if my favorite band did a gig like that.

Edited by humor4u1959 - May 09 2013 at 23:04
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 06:20

Uh...I have news for you. Genesis lowered the key on ALL songs on their 2007 tour except for 2, 'Follow You, Follow Me' and another one that escapes me now. They said this in interviews. But, Collins sounded good! I have no problem with that.

Plant, on the other hand, was horrible. As a musician, yes, it upsets me when bands put out crap and seem to have no pride. They know how dumb some die-hard fans can be. And they laugh all the way to the bank.
So you're saying we're dumb for buying Celebration Day? Nice.

Actually, I find some of Plant's vocals are improved in the lower register. I don't hear his vocals as horrible at all.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 07:24

I've not seen all the Genesis 'when in Rome' film. Only a few tracks where they played in lower keys. I didn't think it sounded that bad, although the set list put me off enduring the entire concert for two hours - or whatever length it was.

Comebacks and reunions have been all the rage for the last 5 years or so. It's a nostalgia thing, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it per se. These shows may be the only chance for younger fans to see these bands. They're never going to be as good as they were when they were all skinny 20 somethings, stoned out of their minds, full of hope ambition and fresh ideas, but there's no law spoken or otherwise that says musicans should stop working when they hit 40 or whatever.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 08:02

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Thank you, Toddler! First of all, Page was a heroin addict for a long time, but one cannot blame his playing on that
I think some of the sloppy playing on later albums can be blamed on that (partly). I'm thinking of the dreadful solo on "Hots on for Nowhere". Also, The Stones were waiting to use the studio so Page was in a rush.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 18:25

I managed to see the whole show on you tube before it was taken down....imo they were pretty good for a bunch of old guys. No group that old who hadn't played in a while  is as good as they used to be nor will they sound exactly the same. Anyone who expects that probably has their head up their ***.

Smile

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 23:50

1- Oh you didn't like it? So don't buy it, don't download it, don't listen to it. Is it so hard?

2- Form a band and go sing almost 50 years after you formed it. Let's see if you can sing so well as back then.
Elastic Murray View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 07:15
I enjoy Celebration Day. Sorry for being so dumb.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>