Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Metal and Dream Theater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 14:29
Nope... but they are influenced by them :-). Even a big name act like Symphony X are greatly influenced by Dream Theater.
Bronsonia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 14:19
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Just my opinion... and completely different than yours I guess

I understand they were influential but how is it that I like those bands who were supposedly heavily influenced by them yet at the same time I can't listen to Dream Theater? Also would you say Eternity X sound just like Dream Theater?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 14:15
Well, even Dream Theater get compared to Dream Theater, so no one can escape the band's grasp.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 14:11
Interesting that you almost sound offended by this... but the fact is that Dream Theater is the single most influential progressive metal act. They were one of the first progressive metal acts to have a keyboard player in the lineup that had an equal role to the guitarist. I´d say that´s one of the things where they really sounded different from other contemporary acts in the late eighties/early nineties. Their virtuosity level was also incredible. Usually in those days metal acts had one, maybe two outstanding musicians in the lineup and the rest were solid, but here was an act where every member was incredibly skilled and got to show it.

You mention Fates Warning and Queensr˙che, which are definitely also two of the most influential progressive metal acts on the scene (along with maybe Watchtower and Dream Theater, that´s about it in my book) and I think you´ll find quite a few reviews where the artist in question is compared to those two.

The other acts you mention are to my ears not very original sounding or Unique. They are great acts, but that´s a completely different story. Many of the ideas they use are influenced by the four acts I mention above.

Just my opinion... and completely different than yours I guess
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 14:01
Originally posted by Earendil Earendil wrote:

I think it's because they are so massively influential.  They really solidified progressive metal as a genre and inspired many bands to play progressive metal.
So, what you are saying is this: influence is the criterion by which other bands are measured against DT ... did I get that right?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 07 2013 at 14:01
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 13:58
Because John Petrucci is a bear and can kill you, Jordan Rudess is a magical wizard who can kill you, John Myung is a ninja and can kill you, James LaBrie is a pirate and can kill you, and Mike Mangini is a genie.... and can kill you.

Also, Mike Portnoy and other past members can kill you.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 13:54
I use Dream Theater in my reviews to quite often state that THIS BAND DOESN'T SOUND LIKE DREAM THEATER. That normally means they're good.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 13:51
I think it's because they are so massively influential.  They really solidified progressive metal as a genre and inspired many bands to play progressive metal.
Bronsonia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 13:30
Sorry if this has been said a million times. I haven't used this forum in a long time.

Practically every single prog metal review I read on here, Dream Theater is mentioned. I know Dream Theater are very popular and they influenced many bands, but why is it so hard for people to not compare every single prog metal band to them? They weren't the first of their kind by any means. I am personally not a fan of them but I somewhat like the genre and it is a bit frustrating to me seeing every single band in the genre being compared to them. Even bands that don't really sound like them but are prog metal are still compared to them. A lot of people just instantly call these bands "Dream Theater clones". It really takes away from bands who try to be original and have their own unique sound. 

Personally I don't get all the fuss about Dream Theater. There are just too many other bands out there and to me it makes no sense to just pick one and say it's the best, mainly because they've had backing by major labels and MTV.  What about bands like Queensryche, Fates Warning and Shadow Gallery? Or even less known, underrated bands like Eternity X and Ice Age? None of those bands sound like Dream Theater yet I guarantee you will find reviews where people just compare them to Dream Theater. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12