Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Metal and Dream Theater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 00:38
Dream Theatre are to prog metal, what Yes is to prog. Not the inventors of their genre, but perhaps the biggest faces of the genre.
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 00:45
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Because John Petrucci is a bear and can kill you, Jordan Rudess is a magical wizard who can kill you, John Myung is a ninja and can kill you, James LaBrie is a pirate and can kill you, and Mike Mangini is a genie.... and can kill you.

Also, Mike Portnoy and other past members can kill you.

for some reason I read this whole post with this guy's voice

Edited by bytor2112 - May 08 2013 at 00:47
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 03:44
They are just a convenient benchmark for those of us not highly expert in Metal, if a review tells me that I can expect something 'similar to DT's Octavarium period but with shorter and more accessible songs and more emphasis on the guitars and less in the keyboards' I get more useful information that if it says that 'the style is similar to Constellation X in their album "Amžina kruizas palei galaktika šviesos greičiu", you know that album where they had Laszlo Petrukovitch as guest on 3rd lead guitar and bassist Jon Myinski was having a nervous breakdown due to drug abuse'.

Of course if the band's music has nothing to do with DT they should not be compared but let's face it, many Prog Metal bands have something to do with DT.
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 03:49
When someone's reviewing a prog metal album, they might find that in order to portray a certain concept or image to the reader, they have to make a comparison to DT, because they know that lots of people know Dream Theater's music, and comparing the music to DT is the best way to describe the music.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 05:36
As far as the vanilla Prog Metal sub genre goes, Dream Theater have an unquestionably huge influence on that genre. Yes, many of the early bands like Fates Warning, Queensryche, Psychotic Waltz, Sieges Even, Symphony X, Vanden Plas etc don't sound too close to them as they were doing their own thing with the same influences DT had (I reckon this is why there are many similarities between the bands but distinct differences as well).  However, through the 90's DT alone sold massive amounts of albums and from the 2000's onwards we've been getting bands that take DT as their single biggest influence. Now the genre is filled with the likes of Pathosray, Suspyre, Andromeda, Myrath, Votum, Adagio, Pagan's Mind etc, who all sound very similar to DT but maybe watered down a bit, leaving a rather stale and stagnent genre.

Of course there are stand out bands that doent sound like DT, the likes of Riverside and To-Mera are completely unique and it can only be hoped that the next generation of Prog Metal bands take their influences from these two.  
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 05:43
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Of course there are stand out bands that doent sound like DT, the likes of Riverside and To-Mera are completely unique and it can only be hoped that the next generation of Prog Metal bands take their influences from these two.  

Be sure that there will be someone on PA that would complain that too much reviews make a connection between Riverside and all prog metal cds.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 10:40
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

Dream Theatre are to prog metal, what Yes is to prog. Not the inventors of their genre, but perhaps the biggest faces of the genre.

When it comes to prog rock, I think you have to include the entire Big 6 from the 70's as the biggest face of prog rock, even if Yes is your preference.

Dream Theater has gotten so big now, that they aren't even compared to their influences anymore, because they are THE influence.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 21:38

Because John Petrucci is a bear and can kill you, Jordan Rudess is a magical wizard who can kill you, John Myung is a ninja and can kill you, James LaBrie is a pirate and can kill you, and Mike Mangini is a genie.... and can kill you.

Truth!!!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 00:58
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

for some reason I read this whole post with this guy's voice

HAHA Yes! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12