0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 Electronic Albums From The 90s
    Posted: May 09 2013 at 09:16
When the summer starts to get out of its hibernation, the electronic albums of my collection suddenly decide to flash themselves to me in a most alluring manner. This happens every summer, and here,in this poll, are some 20 albums which I all have and adore.

Vote away - and even if you only know of one or two - then feel free to write down your thoughts. I do these because of the banter - not the competitionSmile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 09:22
I'm pretty ignorant to this genre in general,   I think I've heard just two of these, and I voted for the Aphex Twin.  Alan (ColorofMoney91) recommended it a while back, and it a nice chilling album.  I think I've listened to that Material album as well (after hearing/reading your praises), and it was a doozy too.  But I'll pick Aphex.

Until fairly recently, I pretty much avoided/wrote off music like this, not really appreciating the synthetic buzzes, lack of guitars, robotic beats (in some of the stuff), and generally the static, ambient nature of a lot of it.  But I've expanded my tastes just a little bit over the past year.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 09:51
Lifeforms. Easy.

There are others but the brush is so broard there's no point in listing them.

What?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 09:52
Good list!

My vote goes to FSOL. I think Lifeforms is one of the best albums ever recorded. In fact The Orbs ultraworld is not that far behind.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 11:03
Moon Safari is incredible
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 11:08
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I'm pretty ignorant to this genre in general,   I think I've heard just two of these, and I voted for the Aphex Twin.  Alan (ColorofMoney91) recommended it a while back, and it a nice chilling album.  I think I've listened to that Material album as well (after hearing/reading your praises), and it was a doozy too.  But I'll pick Aphex.

Until fairly recently, I pretty much avoided/wrote off music like this, not really appreciating the synthetic buzzes, lack of guitars, robotic beats (in some of the stuff), and generally the static, ambient nature of a lot of it.  But I've expanded my tastes just a little bit over the past year.

Good pick Steve-O. Tell you the truth, I struggled a bit with electronic music to begin with too, but then I started meeting people in the know who "taught" me to stop my rock expectations, and I honestly haven't looked back since.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 11:11
Must admit that I had a sneaking suspicion that Blacksword would go for LifeformsLOL 
I'm glad you jumped on the bandwagon as well Dean. 
Truly a milestone album. I'm not at all surprised to know that Fripp was into these guys.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 11:14
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Quite correctomundo. 
I remember writing it off back when it got released. Too much publicity and stardom from those MTV vids - that I didn't wanna touch them with a ten foot pole. I felt similarly about Prodigy. If it was mainstream, I was outta thereLOL 
It has since then grown immensely on me, and this is one of those magical albums that also speaks to women.

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 11:30
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Must admit that I had a sneaking suspicion that Blacksword would go for LifeformsLOL 
Truly a milestone album. I'm not at all surprised to know that Fripp was into these guys.

Fripp also done some work with The Orb on the FFWD project. Worth a listen..

Global Communications 76:14 is also superb, and would definitely be in my top 3 electronica albums.

Also Pete Namlooks Definitive Ambient Collection Vol 1, is very good.

Pete Namlook - Sextant (Live at XS)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 11:49
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Global Communications 76:14 is also superb, and would definitely be in my top 3 electronica albums.

Thanks a lot for that clip. That was beautiful.

Agree about Global Communication - that album was actually one of the very first electronica albums I boughtBig smile I have however seen a fair deal of reviewers writing it off as boring....Ermm

- Douglas Adams
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 12:08
Several great albums here - voted for Aphex Twin
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 12:39

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Thanks a lot for that clip. That was beautiful.
Agree about Global Communication - that album was actually one of the very first electronica albums I boughtBig smile I have however seen a fair deal of reviewers writing it off as boring....Ermm

You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed it..

Global Communication did a one off gig at the British Library in London a few years back. They played all of 76:14. It was quite a night, and coincided with a Sci Fi convention at the library. So some of the audience were dressed as Wookies and storm troopers! That place took on a very strange atmosphere that night, I can tell you..
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 12:39
I know very few, but Selected Ambient Works pt 1 is quite excellent in every way.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 13:23
I always considered that KLF release as more of a straight up dance record, though fun nevertheless. I'll go with FSOL's Lifeforms, although I'm actually a bit more partial to Dead Cities.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 13:57
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

I always considered that KLF release as more of a straight up dance
record, though fun nevertheless. I'll go with FSOL's Lifeforms, although
I'm actually a bit more partial to Dead Cities.

I agree about KLF.

However, if you have 44 mins to spare check out this KLF album "Chill Out" Totally different vibe.

The KLF - Chill Out

jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 14:34

I'll go with Global Communication's classic. So relaxing and chilled, with great melodies... It's the kind of music I love listening to on long airplane trips... and since I'm not going anywhere far this summer (UnhappyCry), it'll have to do... The track "14:31"s the most well-known classic - didn't Air sample this for one of their tracks? - but everything on it is great.

I know you limited it to 20 - I'd have added 808 State's Ex:el and Underworld's Dubnobasswithmyheadman, two classics that mixed 'indie' with e music (they're in that 1991 poll about Nirvana, that's why I'm thinking of those lately...).

This one's much more recent, but every time I hear something off of Trentemoller's album The Last Resort, I'm blow away...

Edited by jude111 - May 09 2013 at 14:44
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 14:57
I particularly liked that Aphex Twin record.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 04:10
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

I'll go with Global Communication's classic. So relaxing and chilled, with great melodies... It's the kind of music I love listening to on long airplane trips... and since I'm not going anywhere far this summer (UnhappyCry), it'll have to do... The track "14:31"s the most well-known classic - didn't Air sample this for one of their tracks? - but everything on it is great.
I know you limited it to 20 - I'd have added 808 State's Ex:el and Underworld's Dubnobasswithmyheadman, two classics that mixed 'indie' with e music (they're in that 1991 poll about Nirvana, that's why I'm thinking of those lately...).
This one's much more recent, but every time I hear something off of Trentemoller's album The Last Resort, I'm blow away...

I probably should and could've listed 25 albums(let's face it, I could very easily do one with double that. The 90s were brilliant in that aspect), but I was fixing to meet up with a friend of mine when I was making the poll, and I just didn't have time for more.... Love that Underworld album too.

Anyways to the saucy bit: you know Trentemøller? I had no idea people outside of Denmark know of him.
I have seen him play numerous of times in a place called Dunkel. A club in Cph that stays open till 11 or 12 the next morning. I remember slushing about in there with Trentemøller lighting things up in the DJ booth. Good times

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 04:18

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Quite correctomundo. 
I remember writing it off back when it got released. Too much publicity and stardom from those MTV vids - that I didn't wanna touch them with a ten foot pole. I felt similarly about Prodigy. If it was mainstream, I was outta thereLOL 
It has since then grown immensely on me, and this is one of those magical albums that also speaks to women.

Dave, my friend, I think they became much more interesting after `Moon Safari', as good as it is. Like you, I tend to think it overshadows everything else they've done, kind of like that first Portishead album got taken up by the yuppie/dinner party crowd too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE `Pocket Sympohonies', such an icy, cold album from them. All their albums are interesting, now that I think about it.

But I voted for the Orb's first, that bubbly little double album! I have a lot of love ORBLivion too.

I also love those original versions of the early Porcupine Tree albums like `Up The DownStair', `The Sky Moves Sideways', `Voyage 34' etc with the programmed drumming, made me think `this is what the Orb might sound like if they were a prog band'! That was when PTree fused electronic dance with prog to wonderful results!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 04:44
I only have Moon Safari and Virgin Suicides from them, of which I like the latter more. I just thought people would respond better to this one in a poll(let's face it, PA is the world turned upside-down when it comes to most modern music).

Portishead went on to do better things, I agree as well. Third is far superior imo, and I vividly remember those pre-indie-emo kids(who in fact just were yuppies with hippie philosophies) that instantly took them in, and sorta made Portishead into a 'niche' band, if that makes any sort of sense. It's also around that time, when people(read:music magazines) started calling them trip hop.

Back to electronic, I had a feeling you'd go for Orb. Brilliant album and one of my fave chill out resources. Incidentally Mikedimike, did you catch their collaboration with Gilmour from 10 called Metallic Spheres? Man I love that record!

Early PT? Is early PT. You know I am a sucker for those years, and you have a point about The Orb connection, and call me crazy, but don't you think that Steven(who is widely renown for knowing 90% of the recorded music history) drew a little influence from there?

Gotta admit though, as much as I love the early original versions, I do have quite a thing for the updated version of Up the Downstairs with Gavin on the drums. Still very much like the original, only with drumming.

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 10 2013 at 04:46

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>