Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFemale Prog Composers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 08:57
Early Kate Bush, "Never For Ever", "Lionheart", etc.
Curved Air
CKnoxW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 11:16
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Oh duh!  Hiromi! 

Dammit! You said it first!

Edited by CKnoxW - July 23 2013 at 12:58
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 10:47

Annamaria Pinna from Vajra
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 12:49
I remember Dalbello composing some interesting stuff. Nicely off the wall.

Edited by npjnpj - July 23 2013 at 12:50
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 15:05
Et hop! Patricia Dallio, former keyboard player of Art Zoyd from 1979 to 2009:
http://patriciadallio.com/

She released 9 solo albums and played on 13 Art Zoyd albums.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 19:09
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Et hop! Patricia Dallio, former keyboard player of Art Zoyd from 1979 to 2009:
http://patriciadallio.com/

She released 9 solo albums and played on 13 Art Zoyd albums.
I love her music.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 19:37
Originally posted by waterinsilence waterinsilence wrote:

This is one of the most interesting threads.

It is quite true that women are looked on mostly as vocalists. As a composer (also vocalist/instrumentalist) - I have gotten many a strange look when I say I'm a composer first. Especially here in Europe.

In any case, I do hope more women would take the leap. I know many colleagues who have written incredible songs and they have all ended up having to "duo" with male artists to get ahead.

Such is the case with Norri Bucci who is a impeccable lead guitarist. She is a vocalist..but has composed and performed a kind of instrumental Jazz fusion style for years. Her vids can be found on Y.T. ..she has a brilliant way of improvising. She is an amazing guitarist. April Lawton who played guitar for Ramatam in the 70's was also amazing and has remained an unsung hero for decades. I personally did not care for the style of the band, but she was very influential to me and drived my ambition to be a clean player. People then, did not understand her. She was playing Rock guitar...but also played in the style of John McLaughlin and obviously played outstanding on Classical. She was a monster player of extreme measures. She may have been the first female guitarist to open the big door by working with Jimi Hendrix's drummer Mitch Mitchell and getting signed to a major label like Atlantic. She was fast , clean and extremely diverse...unlike some of the male guitarists who enjoyed fame while they were taken seriously. To me....she was a God.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 13:20
Hi,

The more I read this, the more depressed I get.

History of Music is ... almost exclusively a boy's club that spends a lot of its time comparing weewee's!

If there is one thing that the 20th century has helped with, is allow women to stand up and show that they can also do this, and not have to hide and play George Sand, for your imagination, or dereliction.

The 21st Century, will likely be the century of the emancipation of woman in the arts ... which, to my way of seeing things would be good ... and hopefully it will help slow down the weewee men's club from the arts and give everyone a fair chance all around.

Sadly, some nations, and continents are further behind than others ... it's really hard NOT to see women, taking hold in the arts in so many places, that it is down right scary, and one can only hope that this succeeds in time, and help the art, the world and its spirit, function the way it was meant to be.

Edited by moshkito - July 24 2013 at 13:27
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 13:12
Please have a open mind when reading my post. To clear the air of any misjudgements on my behalf or anyone else's, I here by state that my intentions are not to create a debate over transsexualism and I do NOT hold discrimination towards any sexual desire or race of humans in general.
Wikipedia states rumours about April Lawton that surfaced and generated through circles of the music business when I traveled the road in the 70's. She was rumoured to be transsexual and they were confirmed by FANNY guitarist June Millington in a 2010 interview for GuitarGearHeads.

Male musicians who had morals/values in the 70's had long discusssions with me regarding how this was a plot to submarine her career. It was discrimination from male guitarists that were jealous over the realization that she was a superior musician to them. By spreading the rumour to justify in their own small , but bleak world that April Lawton was in fact a male and not a female was not only discriminating to the life of transsexuals , but to women in general. Some of the more famous "Rock stars" in the 60's would look at me and shake their heads ...which was a indication that they wish to not engage in the conversation. They understood that I respected her talents and understood the value of my intentions, but refused to comment.

Regarding rumours confirmed by June Millington, I can only say that close musician friends of mine created fantasy stories about me to satisfy their own egos. Journalists have a cheapy desire to print anything stated by an artist in higher circles of the industry. whether it be a lie that hurts innocent people or the truth to hurt the actions of someone else. Discrimination against transsexuals often involves those with certain religious beliefs or cultural values. Many people have a lack of understanding of what it means to be transgender. BINGO!  A perfect plot designed by jealous musicians to lower the amount of appreaciation for April Lawton's accomplishments as a diverse female guitarist. You might find this depressing, but instead let us value the truth of what goes on in the industry. I have worked/traveled with over 30 female artists and they have all been discriminated against by musicians, agents, managers, executives....and that is corruption in the numbers. I can't convince the world that we are all just people, but I'd surely like to ask people to think or ponder over what they read.  

sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 14:25
Getting hold of the new Tarja album tomorrow and I'm kind of wondering what its gonna be like. From the little I've heard thus far it seems good - who knows, perhaps I'll have to recommend her here finally if the music is prog enough.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 17:25
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Please have a open mind when reading my post. To clear the air of any misjudgements on my behalf or anyone else's, I here by state that my intentions are not to create a debate over transsexualism and I do NOT hold discrimination towards any sexual desire or race of humans in general.
Wikipedia states rumours about April Lawton that surfaced and generated through circles of the music business when I traveled the road in the 70's. She was rumoured to be transsexual and they were confirmed by FANNY guitarist June Millington in a 2010 interview for GuitarGearHeads.

Male musicians who had morals/values in the 70's had long discusssions with me regarding how this was a plot to submarine her career. It was discrimination from male guitarists that were jealous over the realization that she was a superior musician to them. By spreading the rumour to justify in their own small , but bleak world that April Lawton was in fact a male and not a female was not only discriminating to the life of transsexuals , but to women in general. Some of the more famous "Rock stars" in the 60's would look at me and shake their heads ...which was a indication that they wish to not engage in the conversation. They understood that I respected her talents and understood the value of my intentions, but refused to comment.

Regarding rumours confirmed by June Millington, I can only say that close musician friends of mine created fantasy stories about me to satisfy their own egos. Journalists have a cheapy desire to print anything stated by an artist in higher circles of the industry. whether it be a lie that hurts innocent people or the truth to hurt the actions of someone else. Discrimination against transsexuals often involves those with certain religious beliefs or cultural values. Many people have a lack of understanding of what it means to be transgender. BINGO!  A perfect plot designed by jealous musicians to lower the amount of appreaciation for April Lawton's accomplishments as a diverse female guitarist. You might find this depressing, but instead let us value the truth of what goes on in the industry. I have worked/traveled with over 30 female artists and they have all been discriminated against by musicians, agents, managers, executives....and that is corruption in the numbers. I can't convince the world that we are all just people, but I'd surely like to ask people to think or ponder over what they read.  

As a teenager in the 70's I remember a huge controversy about professional women's tennis player Dr Renee Richards.  Many were claiming it wasn't fair since she was transsexual - it was like a male player vs a female.  She finally went to court to fight an official ban and won, but that was a sport where there was a physical competition to determine a clear "winner".  Discrimination against a transsexual musician is plain silly.  I never heard Emo/Wakeman/Banks/etc complain that since Wendy Carlos used to be Walter that it somehow was unfair.

Contrary to the fact that us PA members spend hours ranking the 10 best keyboard/guitar/bassoon players, musicianship isn't a competition where a definitive winner can be determined Wink 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 01:10
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

As a teenager in the 70's I remember a huge controversy about professional women's tennis player Dr Renee Richards.  Many were claiming it wasn't fair since she was transsexual - it was like a male player vs a female.  She finally went to court to fight an official ban and won, but that was a sport where there was a physical competition to determine a clear "winner".  Discrimination against a transsexual musician is plain silly.  I never heard Emo/Wakeman/Banks/etc complain that since Wendy Carlos used to be Walter that it somehow was unfair.

Contrary to the fact that us PA members spend hours ranking the 10 best keyboard/guitar/bassoon players, musicianship isn't a competition where a definitive winner can be determined Wink 
April Lawton was not a transsexual. That's a lie invented by guitarists of the 70's who were jealous and feared being upstaged by a woman. It was not silly to make up lies like that in the 70's to destroy someone's reputation. The world was very different then and not made up of the contrived moronic garbage in the media today....such as..everyone wanting to have 15 minutes of fame or debates over stupied far fetched world predictions on talk shows for the purpose of good ratings and profit. Emo/Wakeman/Banks are keyboardists and keyboardists will never get the attention that guitarists do from a rock audience. Maybe Emo with his stupied ribbon controller between his legs and stabbing Lemmy's knifes into an organ or Wakeman dressed in ridicoulous robes surrounded by bubble or smoke machines may have drawn some morons for attention, but no one on stage can draw the entire audience's attention like a lead guitarist .
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 01:21

Whoooa??? Wait a minute. Let's back the tryanni-train up a moment. Wendy Carlos was Walter Carlos?
In any case, A Clock Work Orange was a great soundtrack. He bitch or not. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 09:34
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Whoooa??? Wait a minute. Let's back the tryanni-train up a moment. Wendy Carlos was Walter Carlos?
In any case, A Clock Work Orange was a great soundtrack. He bitch or not. :)
Poor Wendy. Often bashed on Prog sites. Disliked by Emerson.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 10:59

April Lawton was not a transsexual. That's a lie invented by guitarists of the 70's who were jealous and feared being upstaged by a woman. It was not silly to make up lies like that in the 70's to destroy someone's reputation. The world was very different then and not made up of the contrived moronic garbage in the media today....such as..everyone wanting to have 15 minutes of fame or debates over stupied far fetched world predictions on talk shows for the purpose of good ratings and profit. Emo/Wakeman/Banks are keyboardists and keyboardists will never get the attention that guitarists do from a rock audience. Maybe Emo with his stupied ribbon controller between his legs and stabbing Lemmy's knifes into an organ or Wakeman dressed in ridicoulous robes surrounded by bubble or smoke machines may have drawn some morons for attention, but no one on stage can draw the entire audience's attention like a lead guitarist .

As I said, I have no idea who April Lawton was, but her wiki page states: 

"Lawton gave no interviews, refused to discuss her past, and she was rumoured to be transsexual — rumours confirmed by her friend, Fanny guitarist June Millington, in a 2010 interview for GuitarGearHeads.[1]"

Also, why all the hate for Emo/Wakey/keyboardists?
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 15:17
^^ why does Emerson hate Wendy or Walter Carlos???

He better have a good reason. Lol. Seriously though Toddler, why?
Love to know. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 02:58

As I said, I have no idea who April Lawton was, but her wiki page states: 

"Lawton gave no interviews, refused to discuss her past, and she was rumoured to be transsexual — rumours confirmed by her friend, Fanny guitarist June Millington, in a 2010 interview for GuitarGearHeads.[1]"

Also, why all the hate for Emo/Wakey/keyboardists?
wiki lies. June Millington lies. Wiki has printed falsehood in the past. Any musician, dead or alive, can have a friend come foward and confirm this and that. It doesn't mean it's the truth. Emerson and Wakeman were both impeccable keyboardists, but they dressed in the same clothes and used the same stage gimmicks as any rocker from the 70's that is disrespected on P.A.  Stage gimmicks have nothing to do with musicianship. Their purpose was to shock the drug heads in the audience. To attract attention of the cosmic burn outs who may have thought that YES were God . So robes, gowns, and capes came across as a mysterious foreplay that seperated these humans on stage from dopeheads in the audience and so they were worshipped..and even on the next day when everyone got up for work. You could be working in a bank and co-workers would say..."I saw YES last night and it was like seeing God." A very overrated 24/7 reference on the east coast around the time of that cheap version of Mahavishnu I heard on Relayer. Emerson looked like a fool stabbing his organ, his flying piano bit, rubbing a control ribby between his legs in Tarkus and destroying an organ in the same fashion that Townshend or Hendrix would destroy a guitar. But at least Hendrix had the courage and honesty to openly state how embarrased he felt about garbage like that years later and that it was all gimmicks and far from the music.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 03:07
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^^ why does Emerson hate Wendy or Walter Carlos???

He better have a good reason. Lol. Seriously though Toddler, why?
Love to know. :)
I was under the assumption that Emerson respected Carlos until one day...a well informed member of Progarchives corrected me. This was a few years ago (I think?) and cannot recall the reason why Emo disliked Carlos' music or perhaps his approach to Classical. Someone on P.A. who is very informative and well respected posted a reply and explained the history on that. I'll have to research it or find the post on P.A.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 08:00
Why should I care what an artist "looks" like when I use my ears to listen to his/her music? Knowing if an artist is male, female or trans or whatever else has a matter only when this state is reflected into his/her art.

Do you prefer Seamus or Mademoiselle Nobs?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 14:47
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Do you prefer Seamus or Mademoiselle Nobs?

Seamus was more fun. My dog's name!

And the Mlle ... would be too expensive for me to afford and buy!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>