FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFemale Prog Composers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 10:46
Rae Howell is composer extraordinaire of wonderful Aussie Post Rock/Chamber rock SUNWRAE.

I believe Anna Holmgren gets some credit for ANGLAGARD creations. 

I know these are stretching 'outside' of progworld, but:  Back in the day, Sandy Denny, Claire Hammill, Laura Nyro, and Nina Hagen were receiving writing/composition credits; 
in the last decade Kaki King, Emily Autumn, Anneke van Giersbergen, and Tal Wilkenfeld have created stunning compositions. 

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 03:19
Julie Slick is a virtuoso bass player and composer very much in the prog realm. She has played with the Adrian Belew Power Trio and Crimson ProjeKct, among other bands. I'm surprised she hasn't been mentioned yet.

Here's a song from her new solo album (which hasn't been added to PA yet). Very interesting stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKFmZrRu7UQ
horla View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 05:05
Zeena Parkins? Lindsay Cooper?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 10:09
Originally posted by AugustChill AugustChill wrote:

I know of co composers. There's this Heavy Prog band call Kiss Me Deadly from NYC. 
Out of the 7 songs they released this year she was the vox melody composer and one track called the Wind was her composition. 

www.kissmedeadlynyc.info

Are you being paid to plug this band? Does "she" have a name?
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 22:51
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Speaking of all female prog bands, the Japanese psych/prog band "Angel in Heavy Syrup" should get a mention here for having female composers.

Thanks for this.  One of the best things I've heard out of Japan, and I've only heard one song so far.
I love Japanese culture but I'm finding the music a bit like the modern movies they make.  Maybe
there will one day be a new wave of Japanese prog that won't be so chaotic and violent, as some
of the movies are.  It' strange to see such a noble culture put out such stuff like they do.  We probably
just aren't seeing a lot of the good stuff, but who knows how to find it.  Like I say, maybe it's yet
to be created.

I'm surprised to not have anyone mention Virginia Astley.

Check out from: From Gardens Where We Feel Secure

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Soniq Circus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 08:51
There's also one of Mikael Åkerfeldt's favourite composers, folk/prog/psych artist Linda Perhacs. Def worth a listen..:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBd-SjQxpQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 12:08
Originally posted by Soniq Circus Soniq Circus wrote:

There's also one of Mikael Åkerfeldt's favourite composers, folk/prog/psych artist Linda Perhacs. Def worth a listen..:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBd-SjQxpQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Good point. I think she's in prog folk on PA. I remember her suggestion.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 23:09
One of my favorite bands, Introitus, has a female singer, Anna Bender.  As far as I know, her husband composes the music, but she write the lyrics.  Does that count?  Even if it doesn't, I want to throw their name out there: I LOVE their music.Thumbs Up  Someone mentioned Dead Can Dance---I love those weird female vox tracks.  So good.

Edited by Second Life Syndrome - May 24 2013 at 23:09
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 00:00
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

Along with OOIOO Ex-Girl, Ni-Hao!, and a sh*tload of other Japanese girl bands who released awesome weird-o music. The answer is always in Japan!!!

Ya, I mentioned "Angel in Heavy Syrup" earlier...great prog/psych Japanese girl band...

That's what I get for not checking this thread earlier. Angel'in Heavy Syrup is one of Japanese rock's great tragedies, having lapsed into inactivity because bassist-vocalist Mineko went to live with her serviceman husband in Germany or somewhere in Europe. (Can we have a big collective "Oh, well!")

AiTS recorded four impressive if not amazing modern dreamy psych albums, and they all more or less went out of print right after they were issued. The exception was the IV, the final CD, which was issued on Monotremata and can still be acquired for a reasonable, don't-have-to-hock-a-vital-organ price. LOL! The CDs have some killer instrumentals, too.

Of the two remaining guitarists, Fusao Toda was one-half of Christine 23 Onna with vocalist-synthesist-weirdo boyfriend Masonna (Maso Yamazaki's pseudonym), and they later added two members and started calling themselves Acid Eater. Mine Nakao formed a band called She Brings The Rainbow that is no longer active, the only bit of info being that the band is defunct due to "Mine's personal circumstances."

In the mid-late '90s, I stumbled upon a ton of cool non-prog female-centric Japanese rock, of which the Syrup remains my favorite discovery. I tried to avoid the noise rock stuff that's so prevalent (see: Acid Eater, Mainliner, Jojo Hiroshige and his long-running band Hijokaidan) and tracked down, with varying degrees of difficulty, CDs by Slapp Happy Humphrey (Mineko's pre-Syrup hippy psych trio), Shizuka (aka Shizuka Miura, RIP), Onna Kodomo, Mady Gula Blue Heaven, OOIOO (didn't like them that much), Bleach 03 (all-girl post-punk trio), avant-vocalist Haco and her predecessor band After Dinner, ex-Girl (decent at first but didn't wear well) and the first few CDs by Noodles are great (from the fourth on, they're more alt-rock, more hipster). EDIT: I just read that Shizuka died in January, 2010 (cause of death: suicide).

Sadly, that "scene" seemed to have vaporized by the mid-2000s, unless somebody can inform me. Some of those CDs weren't cheap to come by, either. If another band could pick up Angel'in Heavy Syrup's torch, I'd be all over that!

Edited by verslibre - May 29 2013 at 00:46
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 01:58

Edited by Svetonio - May 29 2013 at 02:15
SoundscapeMN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 15:55
Kimbra
Janelle Monae
Timbre
Brooke Waggoner
Emily Kokal/Jenny Lee Lindberg/Theresa Wayman

http://last.fm/user/SoundscapeMN
http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 18:31
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by AugustChill AugustChill wrote:

I know of co composers. There's this Heavy Prog band call Kiss Me Deadly from NYC. 
Out of the 7 songs they released this year she was the vox melody composer and one track called the Wind was her composition. 

www.kissmedeadlynyc.info

Are you being paid to plug this band? Does "she" have a name?

Roslyn Grey is the name of the vox melody composer with Kiss Me Deadly. August is their guitar player.
Unfortunately they didn't make it into Crossover when we evaluated them recently - their music was considered to have too much of an alternative rock slant, and not enough prog content.
Darksky1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 13:53
I know of a fairly new band on the scene called Stolen Earth. The lead singer Heidi Widdup, used to be in Mostly autumn, they have just released a new track (youtube link) as a warm up to the second album and she wrote it and I think is writing loads of other stuff for the cd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2TtakiwxVs

Don't know why the link isn't active, will have to copy and paste to watch but well worth itApprove

Edited by Darksky1 - June 01 2013 at 13:54
waterinsilence View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 19:56
This is one of the most interesting threads.

It is quite true that women are looked on mostly as vocalists. As a composer (also vocalist/instrumentalist) - I have gotten many a strange look when I say I'm a composer first. Especially here in Europe.

In any case, I do hope more women would take the leap. I know many colleagues who have written incredible songs and they have all ended up having to "duo" with male artists to get ahead.

Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 13:40
Originally posted by waterinsilence waterinsilence wrote:

This is one of the most interesting threads.
It is quite true that women are looked on mostly as vocalists. As a composer (also vocalist/instrumentalist) - I have gotten many a strange look when I say I'm a composer first. Especially here in Europe.
In any case, I do hope more women would take the leap. I know many colleagues who have written incredible songs and they have all ended up having to "duo" with male artists to get ahead.

I have met only 2 women personally that write Prog rock and only 1 of them seems to consider herself a composer. (Now theres you i guess as well! :) ) I wish there were more women out there willing to take that leap and actually fully compose music. Plus in my search for a mate it would be much more awesome if there were more women composers to meet. Haha
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 13:50
Have anyone mentioned Hedvig Mollestad trio yet?

And while not on PA, Kari Rueslåtten is recognized within this category  elsewhere.

Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
franklinv View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Zpam Konzert

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 00:35
I fully agree with you,I have never seen any female composer as well yet.....

EDIT: Removed spam links and said goodbye. (DX)

Edited by DamoXt7942 - June 06 2013 at 04:09
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2013 at 16:44
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

There are tons of bands like Univers Zero, Present, The Mars Volta, that seem to be generally led by musically by one person.

I'm not looking for women in prog. I know that's been done on this site.

What I'm asking about is where are the female main composers?

What elements of culture have made it so that females are rarely the main composers in prog groups? Even groups like Akphaezya, Within Temptation, Koenjihyakkei etc, has a guy writing most of the music.

Can you also find examples of females lead composing?

I know this question is worded terribly and it's not meant to be sexist. I just want to know.

That's a good question. I haven't read beyond this OP yet, but I am hard-pressed to think of ANY.

I must research this!
Progging the Rock, Rocking the Prog.

soundcloud.com/withinareverie

withinareverie.blogspot.com

facebook.com/withinareverie

Twitter: @WithinaReverie
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 03:31
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

And while not on PA, Kari Rueslåtten is recognized within this category  elsewhere.

Kari Rueslåtten has now been added to PA - in Prog Folk. http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8254. Approve
efoman2 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 09:11
LOL Someone said Jon Anderson.

Gotta appreciate a good bit of humor. I had a friend who said she went to see Yes in Louisville, KY and somehow got backstage afterward (I didn't ask how). She said she head Jon Anderson cracking some remarks about how backward people in Kentucky were and it ticked her off...so she said "Yeah...well at least our men don't go around wearing women's sneakers!"

Edited by efoman2 - July 08 2013 at 09:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>