FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Shaving Den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 09:32
My word, I had no idea I'd left it so long between posts here - you people must be on tenterhooks wondering what's new in my wonderful world of shaving obsession.

My sincere apologies.

This thread will be updated with photographs & illustrations as soon as possible, but in the meantime, as I'm sure you're all now grateful I've bumped this thread to page one, I feel it's my duty to give you a general overview of the last 8 months or so...

Well -

The DE razor count has now grown from 9 to 17 & you'll be glad to know my constant searching for certain razors bore fruit - the rotation now includes a 1964 HD Rocket (which I thought at first was an Aristocrat Junior, but you all know how easy a mistake that is to make), a 1959 Gillette flair tip and an Italian Fatip Grande, the handle of which I've replaced with that from a Merkur 23C - longer & heavier than the Fatip original, so really balances out that large open comb head.

In addition to the DE stable, also dabbling in SE with the addition of a 1912 Gem (blades still available from Connaught Shaving if you're interested) - great little razor once you get the angle right & now in regular rotation.

Now...

... I don't want anyone here to get woprried & I know I've always said in the past they scare me, but I'm now finally the owner of 2 different kinds of straight (or cut-throat) razors. One is a modern version, known colloquially as a 'shavette' - like a traditional straight razor, but takes disposable blades, so you've no problems with honing/stropping as you'll agree can put people off. The other is a traditional straight razor by Kropp of Sheffield - now try not to get too excited, but I do have a photo of this available:

Isn't she a beauty? Difficult to date, but definitely between 1920 & 1935 & in cracking condition... not used yet, as I've sent her to be serviced & honed.

Once she's back with me & I use her for the first time - you'll be the first to know about it.

Until then, faithful acolytes, I shall leave you in anticipation.

Pip Pip

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 09:39
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

now try not to get too excited

I'm trying, I'm trying...
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 09:45
I know what you're thinking Alan - "why did he try the 1912 SE when he found the Schick 'L' type too mild?". Well I have to say if anything I was surprised how aggressive the 1912 is; personally, I think it's down to the larger head & thicker blade

Edited by Jim Garten - July 25 2014 at 09:47

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 10:21

I know what you're thinking Alan - "why did he try the 1912 SE when he found the Schick 'L' type too mild?". Well I have to say if anything I was surprised how aggressive the 1912 is; personally, I think it's down to the larger head & thicker blade
Nah, I was too busy thinking about the old Merkur 23C.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 10:25
My beard is braided ala Zak Wilde but if I did shave I would use one of the modern multi blade razors now available like a weed whacker.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 02:21
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Nah, I was too busy thinking about the old Merkur 23C.

Fair enough, but I've not sacrificed a Merkur 23C head; the handle was bought from a friend on The Shaving Room forum...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 03:54
Being a weirdie-beardie I find the most indispensable item in my facial hair grooming kit to be a fine pair of scissors. There is nothing worse in my estimation than stray hairs poking over the line of the upper lip to impinge on the quaffing of beer, leaving a the 'tache sodden and with rivulets of ale dribbling from the corners of ones mouth. A fine pair of scissors to neatly trim the 'tache in-line with the cupid's bow soon remedies this problem and over many years of trial and error using a wide variety of scissors ranging from those designed for the trimming of finger nails to items that would be better kept for the cutting of wall-paper or trimming of the privet hedge (erm... I mean that not in the euphemistic sense you understand...) I have by happenstance chanced upon the ideal implement in my good lady's sewing box (erm... again, not a euphemism) - a pair of Fiskar needlework scissors

Fearing the wrath of "her in doors" if ever caught using them in a bathroom situation, I duly purchased a pair of my own for a modest price from Amazon and have not regretted the choice. Having a fine-point and superb cutting edge renders them the ideal grooming scissor for 'tache and beard, triming the goatie to neat proportions that would make van Dyke proud to render in oil on canvas. They can even be used on unruly hairs that have the propensity to extend from other locations that were hitherto unknown in my younger years and can render the overgrown thicket of the impending "granddad brow" back to its former glory. Topiary has never been so pleasurable. 

Highly recommended - 5-stars.

Edited by Dean - July 29 2014 at 04:00
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 06:06
A splendid post if I may say so. Beautifully written and informative to boot.

It is in the trimming of one's goatee where I have to admit to being a tad (dare I say it) modern in that I use an electrically powered contrivance called a Beard Trimmer which not only controls one's beard/moustache combination, but also prevents the eyebrows from going Denis Healy (something which is inevitable for me for some reason if allowed to get out of control).

It also has attachments!

No longer does nasal & ear hair bring wookie comparisons.

So this small contraption does indeed bring forth a heartfelt "huzzah for Wahl" from me.

Edited by Jim Garten - July 29 2014 at 06:07

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 16:56
Even though I'm extremely pro Beard I do, however, very much enjoy this thread and learn about the refined subculture behind the art of shaving. That being said it really is an art just as much as growing a proper beard is...if your not folically challenged of course. Fortunately for my preferences I have quite a crop of hair on my face, which really has made my face not see the light of day for about a year and a half now. Having hairs as thick as bloody BX cables I've always dreaded shaving. Anything from getting the razor bumps under my neck or feeling like my face was dipped in hot sauce it's never been a grooming technique I could do on a regular basis weather I apply all the heat your face before shaving methods or enveloping my face in all kinds of lotions and balms.
But mainly, I prefer my trusty Stache scissors and beard oils. :)

It's great to be refined. Keep on doing what you feel most comfortable doing.

Shave on!

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 17:12
Call me cowardly, but I would recommend safety scissors (those with a slightly curved tip) as a useful addition to one's toilet implements. Less chance of a nasty nip, when handled properly of course.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 02:16
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Fortunately for my preferences I have quite a crop of hair on my face, which really has made my face not see the light of day for about a year and a half now. Having hairs as thick as bloody BX cables I've always dreaded shaving. Anything from getting the razor bumps under my neck or feeling like my face was dipped in hot sauce it's never been a grooming technique I could do on a regular basis

Thick beard hairs are no obstacle whatsoever to one of these:

The beast that is the Muhle R41 - takes a bit of taming, but once done & your face prepped with a good shaving cream (I'd suggest Truefitt & Hill Number 10) never canned goo, I guarantee you would get a damned fine, irritation free shave

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 15:15
I use these to trim my modified Van Dyke...but my scissors are pretty old and need to be sharpened.
I shave the rest of the beard with throw away Bic razors......call me a philistine.
Embarrassed

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456