FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

The Shaving Den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Shaving Den
    Posted: Yesterday at 09:32
My word, I had no idea I'd left it so long between posts here - you people must be on tenterhooks wondering what's new in my wonderful world of shaving obsession.

My sincere apologies.

This thread will be updated with photographs & illustrations as soon as possible, but in the meantime, as I'm sure you're all now grateful I've bumped this thread to page one, I feel it's my duty to give you a general overview of the last 8 months or so...

Well -

The DE razor count has now grown from 9 to 17 & you'll be glad to know my constant searching for certain razors bore fruit - the rotation now includes a 1964 HD Rocket (which I thought at first was an Aristocrat Junior, but you all know how easy a mistake that is to make), a 1959 Gillette flair tip and an Italian Fatip Grande, the handle of which I've replaced with that from a Merkur 23C - longer & heavier than the Fatip original, so really balances out that large open comb head.

In addition to the DE stable, also dabbling in SE with the addition of a 1912 Gem (blades still available from Connaught Shaving if you're interested) - great little razor once you get the angle right & now in regular rotation.

Now...

... I don't want anyone here to get woprried & I know I've always said in the past they scare me, but I'm now finally the owner of 2 different kinds of straight (or cut-throat) razors. One is a modern version, known colloquially as a 'shavette' - like a traditional straight razor, but takes disposable blades, so you've no problems with honing/stropping as you'll agree can put people off. The other is a traditional straight razor by Kropp of Sheffield - now try not to get too excited, but I do have a photo of this available:

Isn't she a beauty? Difficult to date, but definitely between 1920 & 1935 & in cracking condition... not used yet, as I've sent her to be serviced & honed.

Once she's back with me & I use her for the first time - you'll be the first to know about it.

Until then, faithful acolytes, I shall leave you in anticipation.

Pip Pip

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 09:39
Originally posted by Jim Garten

now try not to get too excited

I'm trying, I'm trying...
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 09:45
I know what you're thinking Alan - "why did he try the 1912 SE when he found the Schick 'L' type too mild?". Well I have to say if anything I was surprised how aggressive the 1912 is; personally, I think it's down to the larger head & thicker blade

Edited by Jim Garten - Yesterday at 09:47

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:21
Originally posted by Jim Garten

I know what you're thinking Alan - "why did he try the 1912 SE when he found the Schick 'L' type too mild?". Well I have to say if anything I was surprised how aggressive the 1912 is; personally, I think it's down to the larger head & thicker blade
Nah, I was too busy thinking about the old Merkur 23C.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:25
My beard is braided ala Zak Wilde but if I did shave I would use one of the modern multi blade razors now available like a weed whacker.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456