FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAtmospheric CO2 Hits High Milestone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 21:17
Dear Kim, please attack South Korea. Make sure you use your sorry ass nukes. Make sure you make the Chinese get very upset and try to somehow make the Russians go along with you. We need a full thermonuclear war quickly to get rid of ourselves and save the planet. We suck too much. Save us, Kim.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 21:30
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Dear Kim, please attack South Korea. Make sure you use your sorry ass nukes. Make sure you make the Chinese get very upset and try to somehow make the Russians go along with you. We need a full thermonuclear war quickly to get rid of ourselves and save the planet. We suck too much. Save us, Kim.

If you address him as Dear Leader, maybe our Dear Leader will be tempted to listen to your wise advice!
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 22:10
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

While I strongly support environmental issues, there is also one problem which is not so easy to deal with.  And that is the fact that this planet was not meant to support 7+ billion humans on it. 

How many humans was it meant to support?  I'm not sure what that means, anyway - it sounds like the earth was designed and somehow we've exceeded specifications.

If your number is quite a bit smaller, and you think that is truly the solution, how do you solve this problem without resorting to rather drastic measures?

It was meant to support me and 20 of my closest friends, all of which are coincidentally, female and hot.  Tongue

As I said it is not an easy problem to deal with.  The best way is to not only support contraception, but advocate it (which will take the cooperation of lots of religious organizations), distribute it freely (not just condoms, but the pill) and also fully support abortion rights.  Other than that there isn't much we can do that isn't drastic, except wait for nature to take her course. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 07:11
I find it slightly curious that limiting the human population is the first measure you talk about.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 07:29
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I find it slightly curious that limiting the human population is the first measure you talk about.

From a certain point of view, it can be a good idea, but only on a long term, at least one generation. And waiting 20 or 30 years for limiting the number of drivers, gas users, factory operators... and, therefore, the amount of CO² produced... Well, good luck!
If we're looking for a "quick" solution (if there's a quick solution... Ermm), the first drastic measure one could think about would be to limit the number of cars (or bikes, or buses, etc...), the use of coal and oil as sources of energy, etc...
And I'm not sure it could be done in a dozen years.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 08:09
Or we could plant trees.
What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 10:11

While I strongly support environmental issues, there is also one problem which is not so easy to deal with.  And that is the fact that this planet was not meant to support 7+ billion humans on it. 

How many humans was it meant to support?  I'm not sure what that means, anyway - it sounds like the earth was designed and somehow we've exceeded specifications.

If your number is quite a bit smaller, and you think that is truly the solution, how do you solve this problem without resorting to rather drastic measures?

It was meant to support me and 20 of my closest friends, all of which are coincidentally, female and hot.  Tongue

As I said it is not an easy problem to deal with.  The best way is to not only support contraception, but advocate it (which will take the cooperation of lots of religious organizations), distribute it freely (not just condoms, but the pill) and also fully support abortion rights.  Other than that there isn't much we can do that isn't drastic, except wait for nature to take her course. 

As I said, we're doing all of this now.  The birth rate in 2011 for the United States was an all-time low.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 11:23
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 11:35

Timely!

"Blame television"? Why not... but it sounds a bit harsh. Ermm

And if people start using trains rather than individual cars, leading to the (probable) disappearance of trafic jams and/or fogs, could we blame video games like Train Simulator 2013? Clown
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 13:38
This would be something to look forward to..

Planned-opolis.

Edited by Blacksword - May 13 2013 at 13:38
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 21:05
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Or we could plant trees.

Thanks. I was beginning to think I was crazy or something for thinking this.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 21:22

Or we could plant trees.

Well... sort-of. You certainly can't stop global warming that way, unfortunately.
Hail Eris!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 01:33
Originally posted by Gamemako Gamemako wrote:

Or we could plant trees.

Well... sort-of. You certainly can't stop global warming that way, unfortunately.
Before man over-ran the planet much of Europe was forest, as was North America and China, temperatures were not 5.5°C warmer so there is no certainty in the study, their model is perhaps a little too simplistic. Trees are not the only plants that sequesters carbon, they all do - the trick is not to release it out again..
What?
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 00:36
A couple million people will have to die, probably in the US, for our lawmakers to finally think the human toll is outweighing the hit to industry that CO2 limits will incur. Then it will be a bit too late, of course.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 09:51
You don't hear too much about this, but UN Agenda 21 which was kicked off in 1992, is a programme of structured sustainable development, implemented locally at the national level.

UN Agenda 21 - Wiki

It is however non binding, and rather vague overall, unless the plan is to enforce this initiative at some point. I don't know how they would do that in the face of mass opposition.

Edited by Blacksword - May 15 2013 at 09:52
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 10:00
make more coral reefs
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 10:32
Ermm 
Ca² + 2HCO3 → CaCO3 + H2O + CO2
I see a potential flaw in this plan
What?
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 11:22
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

A couple million people will have to die, probably in the US, for our lawmakers to finally think the human toll is outweighing the hit to industry that CO2 limits will incur. Then it will be a bit too late, of course.

Huh, couldn't we rather, like, promote contraception, instead of mass murder (if I understood the idea of this post)? Confused
Or, even better, to shut down factories, no matter how high the rate of unemployment would rise?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 11:31
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Huh, couldn't we rather, like, promote contraception, instead of mass murder (if I understood the idea of this post)? Confused
Or, even better, to shut down factories, no matter how high the rate of unemployment would rise?
Yup, you misunderstood his post.

What he means is it will take some natural catastrophe that kills millions of people before the government will enact any legislation that affects how industry can limit CO2 emissions.

Edited by Dean - May 15 2013 at 11:31
What?
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 11:55

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Yup, you misunderstood his post.

What he means is it will take some natural catastrophe that kills millions of people before the government will enact any legislation that affects how industry can limit CO2 emissions.

Blame my lack of comprehension of the English grammar (but such an extremist idea coming from stonebeard would have surprised me!)

Fun fact: yesterday, the French-German TV channel Arte broadcasted two documentaries about the false "green energies".
Question: am I the only one to think that describing biomass/biofuel as a renewable energy is most stupid and nonsensical?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>