FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAtmospheric CO2 Hits High Milestone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 00:39
So I thought this would have become big news at some point after the 400 ppm hit, but so far, not one media outlet has mentioned this, even as an afterthought. I'm not surprised though, especially since the shut down of electric cars went pretty much unnoticed by news outlets 12 years ago.

This is not a topic that should die off like most other topics (I don't just mean here at PA).

Is the media threatened by the oil companies, or is it a case of "well, that's something the next generations will have to deal with". Well, then don't have kids, because either they, or their kids, are going to have to try and survive in an environment not fit for human beings to live in.

What don't people get? The Earth we all know and love is not going to be the hospitable place it (barely) is now in 30 years. 30 years. That's not a lot of time in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by darkshade - June 09 2013 at 00:41
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 08:37
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

...the shut down of electric cars went pretty much unnoticed by news outlets 12 years ago.

There are a lot of electric cars in Japan these days. But I'm not sure how much it helps. They run on electricity but that electricity still has to be generated somewhere. So it comes from power plants that use nuclear energy or burn fossil fuels.
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 08:49

What don't people get? The Earth we all know and love is not going to be the hospitable place it (barely) is now in 30 years. 30 years. That's not a lot of time in the grand scheme of things.

I think people 'get it'. But realistically, what can people do about it? People are so busy taking care of their short-term problems like working to pay the rent/mortgage and earning enough money to survive day to day. Most people don't have time to find solutions to problems that are 30 years away. Modern life causes a lot of stress and distracts people from things that might be important.

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 10:04
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

I think people 'get it'. But realistically, what can people do about it? People are so busy taking care of their short-term problems like working to pay the rent/mortgage and earning enough money to survive day to day. Most people don't have time to find solutions to problems that are 30 years away. Modern life causes a lot of stress and distracts people from things that might be important.

I meant the people that CAN do something about it. Like politicians, famous/rich people because they have the time and money, etc... Anyone who CAN do something about it, or at least bring awareness to the issue.

"Going Green" spread like wildfire over the last few years, there's no reason why something like that can't be done. I must have talked to dozens of people over the past month or so, and more or less, they were not aware that our atmosphere is reaching the point of no return until I told them. The media has not brought the issue out to the public's awareness.

I understand it's hard, I don't even know what I can do about it, but the least everyone can do is spread the word, and maybe try not to drive everywhere you go, if it's close enough.

Edited by darkshade - June 09 2013 at 10:07
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 18:59
If anyone complains or is wondering why we have been getting such wacky weather lately, keep this issue in mind. It's all related.
FLAC View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 14:26
ah screw it I will enjoy life and live in the present moment I will listen to some prog drink some wine smoke some weed and when climate change destroys our planet I will have no regrets because I will die doing what I love.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 17:32
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

...the shut down of electric cars went pretty much unnoticed by news outlets 12 years ago.

There are a lot of electric cars in Japan these days. But I'm not sure how much it helps. They run on electricity but that electricity still has to be generated somewhere. So it comes from power plants that use nuclear energy or burn fossil fuels.

Indeed.
Not that cleaner running cars are a bad thing, but the real change needs to come at the core you mentioned...a change off fossil fuels.
Shame that a great candidate for the future of energy (there are of course multiple solutions needed) is nuclear energy which is seemingly trying to be killed as badly as the electric car!

Ah Darkshade we all know the answer, it's laziness. If we all made the daily, significant changes to reduce our "carbon footprint" and be more green and all that would truly make the grandest difference of all.
But that's hard.
And not even bashing (I certainly am guilty) it's just hard to do, especially in global numbers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234