Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What Prog bands are conspicuous by their absence?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat Prog bands are conspicuous by their absence?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Prog bands are conspicuous by their absence?
    Posted: May 11 2013 at 21:29
Early this week I was getting my prog show ready and going through a number of longish tracks I'd like to play, and decided to, for research and anecdotal reasons, to search online and see what was currently happening with these bands. The odd thing is a couple of them I couldn't even find anything recent - D'arcana and Simon Says come to mind. And was curious as why that is given how any one could not hear the pounding surge of the prog swell that's happening in the field of music. Prog is getting more mention in the media as well as noticed in the mainstream drawing in new fans and new bands, but not even a Facebook site for these guys (unless I'm looking in the wrong place).

My question is - do you know of any bands out there who might be missing the boat while this prog spike is happening, and you'd like to see recording or playing?
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 21:48
Paul, Simon Says had a new track on a recent various artists 3 disc concept album release called `The Stories Of H.P Lovecraft - A SyNphonic Collection', the piece was `The Wailing Wall'!

But I know your frustration...these days, with Facebook (not that I personally use it really), Bandcamp etc, it's easier than ever for bands/artists to easily keep their fans and interested newcomers up to date on their current releases, live shows, projects etc.

I've certainly on a few occasions accidently come across a new release that's been out for some time, and yet had no knowledge or had any exposure to the information at all from some acts.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 22:01
The medium is the message. I think the best bet is to stay close to this website actually. PA is quite solid keeping up with the releases that are new. Also, establishing a solid Amazon account by listing off favourites and rating certain purchases that you made will give you updates via email. Another would be radio. Sirius radio has a ton of prog stations and I hear they can be handy. Lastly, subscribe to burningshed.com it's an English prog site that can send you updates as well. All you have to do is check off what prog genres you love. :)

Happy updating my friend. Hope you are never late for what you like :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
novasolis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 23:50
A.C.T.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 01:02
My first reaction was no news from them, but I quickly checked their facebook page and it seems they are mixing a new album and it might be out in June.  Phew! Smile

Edited by rogerthat - May 12 2013 at 01:03
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 01:04
I feel Discipline is sorely underrepresented. Their most recent album has a 24 minute epic that in my book dunks all over the vast majority of those made by classic groups
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 11:24
I agree with novasolis; A.C.T has been gone too long.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 12:10
I don't know D'Arcana but I love Simon Says Tardigrade, I look forward to a new release!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 12:18
For me it's Anekdoten. It's been their longest period between studio albums by far. A Time Of day was the last one released in 2007 !   Too long a wait, although I understand they are working on it.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 12:45
Harvey Milk, the avant-metal act from Athens GA, could really benefit from striking while the iron is hot.  They seem to have a fairly relaxed attitude about releasing music, going on and off hiatus at odd points in their career.  It's been only about 3 years since their last album, which was received well and was kind of a return to form, but since then it's been real quiet and there's no real talk of future releases, and no real news on their website (no updates since 2009, last I checked).  I understand they're all family men now with other commitments, and the band is not really a top priority for them, at least not any more.  But as a fan, I wish they'd take more advantage of the momentum when they get it.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 13:18
I miss Fates Warning, but I will be seeing them in concert nov 20th. Thank god!!
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 20:50
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I miss Fates Warning, but I will be seeing them in concert nov 20th. Thank god!!

Check the Arch / Matheos album from 2011.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 10:33
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

Check the Arch / Matheos album from 2011.

Oh I bought that sucker the day it was released. Great album too! Neurotically wired is a fantastic track. Also, OSI is a great way to hear Jim Matheos play amazing once again. Still miss Fates though...the true lIne up with Ray Alder
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 10:41
I know Symphonic Holocaust was an experiment, but I'd sure like to hear what Morte Macabre could come up with if they decided to make a new album. I think it would gather much attention from proggers all over.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 11:48
Hi,

None of the bands, none of the time!

Unless you want cheap wine!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 15:15
There is such an abundance of good new stuff going on out there that the absence of old favorites isn't conspicuous...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 17:46

The medium is the message. I think the best bet is to stay close to this website actually. PA is quite solid keeping up with the releases that are new. Also, establishing a solid Amazon account by listing off favourites and rating certain purchases that you made will give you updates via email. Another would be radio. Sirius radio has a ton of prog stations and I hear they can be handy. Lastly, subscribe to burningshed.com it's an English prog site that can send you updates as well. All you have to do is check off what prog genres you love. :)

What? Sirius has prog stations? Last I checked (sometime last year), there was no such thing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 06:31

Haha!! I can eat these words no problem!!! Fates are back with a new album this oct 1st!!!

Yeah baby!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 06:34
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

What? Sirius has prog stations? Last I checked (sometime last year), there was no such thing.

Marshi. The best is an ap called Live 365 radio. It carries all prog stations over the globe.
Check out Storm Chronicles radio, progulus and prog FM.
There are many more though! It's a great ap. ;)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 07:20
Where are Dungen???
Seriously, I've seen them receiving a lot of rave reviews - especially from The States. Sure we've now got Steve working undercover over there trying to get you people into some Swedish music, but it's more than that.
I think a good deal of the RYMers and beat kids over there who've fallen completely for current acts such as Tame Impala - finally hear where all this comes from. The 60s obviously, but even moreso Dungen.
The whole 60s psych rock revival is enjoing a momentary peak, and this band who probably has done the 60s better than anyone since the 60s, would be wise in putting out a record methinksBig smile 

or maybe I'm just getting a little impatient waiting for a new album.....it's that damn Reine Fiske who's always up and about playing on other artists' releases...

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>