Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGalahad - Andrew Wild "One for the record"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Galahad - Andrew Wild "One for the record"
    Posted: May 11 2013 at 22:25

ANDREW WILD                                    ONE FOR THE RECORD

Some time back in 1991 I became aware of a band from Dorset called Galahad. Now, one thing led to another and over the years it is safe to say that I have done my best to review their music in a totally fair and objective manner, and have failed at every turn. I mean, Stu has stayed at my house, I’m pretty sure it was he who introduced me to Artur Chachlowski (who twenty years later is still one of my best friends) and I know for a fact that Stu was the person who suggested to Big Big Train that they send me their demo tape, which started me thinking that maybe I could approach bands to see if they would send me music to write about instead of buying it all the time. So, one way or another the band has had quite a considerable impact on my life. Galahad are the only prog band I have ever taken my wife to see, not that she had any choice to be honest as it was when we were guests at Stu and Lin’s wedding. That is one of my favourite memories of the band, as I remember standing outside in the sunshine with Neil, Mark and Karl chatting about music and the scene for what seemed like hours.

That is what this book is all about for me. Memories. When it is mentioned about Spence falling asleep at a Suzi Quatro gig it reminded me of seeing him sprawled across three chairs at the side of the stage at Walthamstow when they supported The Enid, with Robert John Gidfrey in full flow. I was told then that he would sleep anywhere, at anytime, and often did. Over the years I have reviewed everything they have released, and still have the single (and the Fatea flexi!) as well as tapes (including the Polish versions) and of course all the CDs. I still have the letter where Stu says that one day he will ask me to write their biography, but I’m so glad that they didn’t as Andrew Wild has achieved something that I know I could never have managed. Although he really only got to know the guys through the writing of the book and previously hadn’t heard any of their music, he has captured an incredible story and has produced something that is absolutely compelling.

Nearly everyone involved with the band has been interviewed, and there is a feeling of a band that have been through a lot but are still having fun and enjoying themselves all these years down the line. While I write this I have the accompanying DVD playing in the corner of the screen, and the intro from Tim Ashton says it all (although I didn’t recognise him to be honest!). The DVD contains concert clips from through the years, with the early ones fascinating for me as I didn’t see the first incarnations while others transport me back through time, to when the prog scene may not have made anyone any money (does it now?) but boy was it fun as everyone knew each other and met up at all the gigs.

If you only buy one book about a prog band this year then make it this one, and if you buy two then get this one and Andrew’s other essential tome, on Twelfth Night.

So there we have it, yet another totally unbiased review which is totally objective. When you go and buy this you will know exactly what I mean. Oh yeah, maybe I ought to mention that some of my reviews have been reproduced in the book as well, although of course that has no bearing on my giving it five stars…..

All five volumes of The Progressive Underground now available
https://www.amazon.com/Kev-Rowland/e/B07RJVRB2X
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 04:47
Just order my signed copy! Just hope for not too many photos, i want more stories...
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 13:54
You'll find plenty of historical facts on the band, their recording sessions, their line up changes, their gigs, every songs and every covers they did! And all this with the dates! Their also some short stories surrounding those facts and their life on the road, the ups and downs of a band. If you want some juicy stories about the band and their members, you won't find in this book, because the guys are too good! No drugs, no big addiction, Galahad are not the big star of rockn'roll, but simple guys making music with passion without looking desperately for success. Like they said "The Story of the World's most Famous Unsuccessful band". A band that i have evolve in a good way over the years and that are at their peak now with Karl Groom as a producer. 
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Post Reply Post Reply