Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDennis DeYoung

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dennis DeYoung
    Posted: May 13 2013 at 01:13
This is a glaring omission, especially in light of his outstanding release One Hundred Years From Now, released in Canada in 2007 and the U.S. and elsewhere in 2009. It is every bit as prog-rock as any early Styx, Kansas or Spock's Beard album, and is sadly overlooked. I was just made aware of its absence on the site when I came here to review it..

Granted, some people are still upset over Mr. Roboto and Desert Moon, but the guy is one of the premiere American progressive rock composers/singers/composers of all time.

seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 04:30
http://www.dennisdeyoung.com/
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/dennis-deyoung-mn0000241635

In the absence of any music samples to support the suggestion I've added all the tubes i could find from the ''One Hundred Years From Now'' album.

Edited by seventhsojourn - May 13 2013 at 04:31
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 12:00
Thanks for the suggestion, John, but I think the problem here will be that this is an artist who is related to a band that is related to prog. The above tubes aren't really doing it for me from a prog perspective, sorry. 
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 13:48
Whether you like him or not, Dennis DeYoung is among the inventors of the genre. Compare the above song "This Time Next Year" with Spock's Beard's "Fourth of July" from the album Snow.

The problem is, so many people have imitated Dennis DeYoung, that what he does sounds traditional by now - but he's the one who invented that tradition!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 13:58
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

Whether you like him or not, Dennis DeYoung is among the inventors of the genre. Compare the above song "This Time Next Year" with Spock's Beard's "Fourth of July" from the album Snow.

The problem is, so many people have imitated Dennis DeYoung, that what he does sounds traditional by now - but he's the one who invented that tradition!

Whether I like him or not is completely irrelevant. And where exactly did I say I didn't like him?

However, what is relevant is that on the evidence of the above videos I don't hear enough prog to pitch him to a subgenre team. Styx themselves are in Prog Related. If you can provide more prog-oriented samples I will happily listen to them.  
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 14:04
Oh, I'm so weary of this online world where everything is argumentative and shoved in your face constantly, I really don't have the energy or patience for it anymore.

All of the above songs sound like progressive rock to me - just as progressive as Spock's Beard, Neal Morse, Kansas, etc. DeYoung's influence on many current progressive rock bands is glaringly obvious.

That's the extent of energy I'm investing in this, turning off email notify of replies, present it if you want, don't if you don't.
 Post Reply Post Reply