Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOzric Tentacles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ozric Tentacles
    Posted: May 13 2013 at 10:39

A band from another time, Ozric Tentacles served as the bridge from '70s cosmic rock to the organic dance and festival culture that came back into fashion during the '90s. Formed in 1983 with a debt to jazz fusion as well as space rock, the band originally included guitarist Ed Wynne, drummer Nick Van Gelder, keyboard player Joie Hinton, bassist Roly Wynne (Ed's brother), and second guitarist Gavin Griffiths (who left the group in 1984). The Ozrics played in clubs around London, meanwhile releasing six cassette-only albums beginning with 1984's Erpsongs. (All six were later collected on the Vitamin Enhanced box set, despite a threatened lawsuit from the Kellogg's cereal company for questionable artwork.) In 1987, Merv Pepler replaced Van Gelder, and synthesizer player Steve Everett was also added.
Ozric Tentacles' first major release, the 1990 album Erpland, foreshadowed the crusty movement, a British parallel to America's hippie movement of the '60s. Crusties borrowed the hippies' organic dress plus the cosmic thinking of new agers, and spent most of their time traveling around England to various festivals and outdoor gatherings. The movement fit in perfectly with bands like Ozric Tentacles and the Levellers, and The Ozrics' 1991 album Strangeitude became their biggest seller yet, occasioning a U.S. contract with Capitol. After the British-only Afterswish and Live Underslunky, 1993's Jurassic Shift -- featuring flutest John Egan, who would become known for his on-stage trance-dancing during the group's live performances, and new bassist Zia Geelani in addition to original bassist Roly Wynne, who departed the band in 1992 -- hit number 11 on the British charts, quite a feat for a self-produced album released on The Ozrics' own Dovetail label. The album was released in America by IRS Records, as was 1994's Arborescence. Neither album translated well with American audiences -- despite the band's first U.S. tour in 1994 -- and Hinton and Pepler left the band that year to devote their energies to their dance side project, Eat Static, releasing several albums on Planet Dog Records.

Ozric Tentacles returned to their Dovetail label for 1995's Become the Other, featuring new members Rad and Seaweed, who also appeared on 1997's Curious Corn. Ed Wynne's brother Roly, whose later life had been plagued with difficulties, committed suicide in 1999, a tragic development for the Wynne and Ozrics families. However, the band forged on, closing out the decade with the release of Waterfall Cities that year, and during the summer of 2000 The Ozrics resurfaced with Swirly Termination. The band also released Hidden Step in 2000, followed by the EP Pyramidion in 2002. Live at the Pongmasters Ball arrived in 2002 as well, their first venture to be released on both CD and DVD.

By 2004's Spirals in Hyperspace, Ozric Tentacles were largely guided by sole original member Ed Wynne, who was responsible for guitar, keyboards, and beat programming on the studio effort, which nevertheless included appearances from previous Ozrics contributors Zia, Seaweed, John Egan, and Merv Pepler, plus drummer Schoo (who had replaced Rad after the former's departure following a 2000 U.S. tour), Ed Wynne's wife Brandi Wynne on bass, and even space rock/electronica guitar legend Steve Hillage. Released in 2006, The Floor's Too Far Away continued the trend of Ozrics domination by Ed Wynne. A live appearance from June 2007 was documented in 2008's Sunrise Festival disc, and 2009 saw the release of a new studio album, The Yumyum Tree. Inspired by Lewis Carroll, the latter album featured, in addition to Ed Wynne in the leadership role, Brandi Wynne on keyboards along with bassist Vinny Shillito and drummer Roy Brosh. Yet another permutation of the latter-day Ozrics was a true Wynne family affair, with Ed joined by his son -- and the late Roly's nephew -- Silas on synths, wife Brandi back on bass replacing Shillito, and Ollie Seagle on drums.

[Taken from All Music Guide]

What can I say? I love this band! I think they started declining a bit with the release of The Floor Is Too Far Away, but things picked up a bit with The YumYum Tree, but I remain on the fence with Paper Monkeys. Any other fans here?

Favorite albums:

Arborescence (maybe my favorite all-around Ozrics album)
Waterfall Cities
Pungent Effulgent
Jurassic Shift
The Hidden Step
Erpland

Edited by Mirror Image - May 13 2013 at 13:05
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 10:46
Ozric Tentacles are awesome live. A great band to check out live!
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 10:49
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

I wish I could see them! I doubt they'll ever come my way though. Anyway, do you have any favorite albums?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 11:47
Nobody likes Ozric Tentacles on this forum? WTF? Shocked
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 12:19
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Maybe Progarchives is too RIO.WinkEmbarrassed
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 12:35

This band is long dead and gone.

Today, this is the "Ozric Family Band" and it no longer has any resemblance to the earlier band. Mom plays the bass, dad the guitar and son the keyboards, and their last album is nice, and Brandy is playing a lot better ... but in the end ... it is a sad throwback, and not anywhere near their very best with "Erpland" and "Strangeitude". In my book, their glory ended when John left ... the atmospheric excursions died and the music suffered.

Sad part of this band, has also been their inability to afford a proper sound person to work with them in touring around, and in two shows here in Portland, about 2 or 3 years apart, I think, they sounded absolutely terrible, and both times (and the one at La Luna in 1995), they had issues with the sound system and for several minutes more than once, the keyboards could not be heard, and once, Ed's keyboard went unplugged and Ed had to close the song down because Brandy and the kid and drummer could not continue, and the band could not improvise from there, except a 12 beat close!

If all it is, is a glorified rock band, there are plenty better ones around, that do not have to excuse their music behing an idea, and song ... with a lousy setup that doesn't work!

Very frustrating, and if my name was ED, I would not allow that to happen and hurt the music and the band.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 12:49

Maybe Progarchives is too RIO.WinkEmbarrassed

:D Perhaps!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 12:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

This band is long dead and gone.

Today, this is the "Ozric Family Band" and it no longer has any resemblance to the earlier band. Mom plays the bass, dad the guitar and son the keyboards, and their last album is nice, and Brandy is playing a lot better ... but in the end ... it is a sad throwback, and not anywhere near their very best with "Erpland" and "Strangeitude". In my book, their glory ended when John left ... the atmospheric excursions died and the music suffered.

Sad part of this band, has also been their inability to afford a proper sound person to work with them in touring around, and in two shows here in Portland, about 2 or 3 years apart, I think, they sounded absolutely terrible, and both times (and the one at La Luna in 1995), they had issues with the sound system and for several minutes more than once, the keyboards could not be heard, and once, Ed's keyboard went unplugged and Ed had to close the song down because Brandy and the kid and drummer could not continue, and the band could not improvise from there, except a 12 beat close!

If all it is, is a glorified rock band, there are plenty better ones around, that do not have to excuse their music behing an idea, and song ... with a lousy setup that doesn't work!

Very frustrating, and if my name was ED, I would not allow that to happen and hurt the music and the band.

I agree and disagree. I've never heard them live but because a few bad apples in a concert's sound doesn't mean anything to me especially since I wasn't there and bad things can happen in a live performance. I think Pungent Effulgent through Waterfall Cities are their best work. I'm not too impressed with the band nowadays. Paper Monkeys was quite disappointing on many levels. I did like The YumYum Tree a good bit though. Anyway, I'm glad I'm not as jaded as you are.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 13:03
All great bands deteriorate over time. Nothing lasts forever, especially in progressive rock. I mean look at Gentle Giant, Yes, and Genesis. What sellouts they became.  
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 13:32
Strangeitude and Jurassic Shift are my favorites....but I like most of them in that period .
Haven't played them for a while.....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 14:44
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Strangeitude and Jurassic Shift are my favorites....but I like most of them in that period .
Haven't played them for a while.....

Strangeitude is quite good but isn't as good as Jurassic Shift IMHO. Arborescence is another favorite that just gets better and better with each successive listen.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 14:55
Love OT but when Zia Geelani left, I feel that the music suffered! Waterfall Cities is a prog masterpiece. 

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 14:58
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Love OT but when Zia Geelani left, I feel that the music suffered! Waterfall Cities is a prog masterpiece. 

Love Waterfall Cities. One of my favorites. Any favorite songs from this album?
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 15:16

I wish I could see them! I doubt they'll ever come my way though. Anyway, do you have any favorite albums?

You should check some of their live albums out . Sunrise Festival is just terrific, great setlist (late 80's early 90's) and lineup.

As for the studio albums my favourites are Pungent Effulgent and Arborescence.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 17:58
Originally posted by MFP MFP wrote:

You should check some of their live albums out . Sunrise Festival is just terrific, great setlist (late 80's early 90's) and lineup.

As for the studio albums my favourites are Pungent Effulgent and Arborescence.

Yes, Sunrise Festival is quite good indeed. I also like Live At The Pongmaster's Ball. Arborescence have been a favorite of mine for years. Pungent Effulgent is as well. If I had to pick three albums, it would be Arborescence, Waterfall Cities, and Jurassic Shift.

Edited by Mirror Image - May 13 2013 at 17:59
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 19:38
What I don't understand is....why the over-reliance on programmed drums. Surely there is some die-hard fan of the band who is a drummer, that would love to opportunity to drum on one of their albums. The live drum sound is sorely missed in the Ozrics, and as much as I still love them and buy their albums, it's getting harder to be really impressed with their newer releases (I think I gave `Paper Monkeys' a pretty fair review).

As much as I hate to say this, the self titled Mantric Muse album from 2012 totally wipes the floor with every Ozrics album since `The Hidden Step', it's listed here:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=39575

Honestly, there's no reason a new Ozrics album can't be this good. They need to seriously step up again if they want to hold off this downward slide.

Sorry, I really do like the band (`Waterfall Cities' is especially important to me), but I'm disappointed they can't seem to get their act together anymore....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 21:22
I completely agree Aussie-Byrd-Brother. I don't understand the need to program drums when Ozrics have always used a real drummer. I really don't know what's happened to this band but we can all argue about the current state of the band all day long. This said, to keep things positive around here, I think discussing the music of theirs we actually enjoy is a lot more productive than continuing to discuss how they have disappointed us. Let's be honest here, Ed Wynne is a still a creative musician and even though he's made some missteps, he still deserves to be given a fair chance. I mean he doesn't have Seaweed, Joie, Zia, John, Merv, etc., but lets hope the next release will have more accomplished musicians to help Ed make better music.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 22:50
Pungent Effulgent is my favorite, but all the ones from around that time are great. I also really like the early "cassette" material. The low point for me would be Swirly Termination/Spirals In Hyperspace, but both have stuff that save it from being a total disaster.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 00:16
Anyone buy the Vitamin Enhanced boxset, which is CD releases of their six original cassette releases?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 13:48

I agree and disagree. I've never heard them live but because a few bad apples in a concert's sound doesn't mean anything to me especially since I wasn't there and bad things can happen in a live performance. I think Pungent Effulgent through Waterfall Cities are their best work. I'm not too impressed with the band nowadays. Paper Monkeys was quite disappointing on many levels. I did like The YumYum Tree a good bit though. Anyway, I'm glad I'm not as jaded as you are.

Not jaded at all .. .seen them 3 times ... and photographed them! ... so if you think that's jaded ... fine ... but you missed me wanting to have them protect their work a bit better to ensure the quality comes through ... not the garbage!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>