FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe 5 most valuable prog pieces you own

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 5 most valuable prog pieces you own
    Posted: May 13 2013 at 19:59
It seems that being into prog eventually turns us all into music collectors in one way or another.  

What are the 5 most valuable pieces in your prog collection?  It could be that super-rare import CD or 7" vinyl long out of print or concert program from the Tales from Topographic Oceans tour or...

1)  Thick as a Brick vinyl with the original full size foldout newspaper cover.
2)  Autographed copy of Robert Fripp's "Exposure" signed at a 1979 Frippertronics show at Tower Records.
3)  My set of 4 King Crimson vinyl bootlegs of various '73 & '74 concerts ("Senabular", "Un Reve Sans Consequence Speciale", "Doctor D" & "Heretic") all purchased in the mid 70's at a shop called "Underground Records" near San Jose State University.
4)  The illustrated 20 page booklet that came in my vinyl copy of "The Young Person's Guide to King Crimson."    
5)  My complete set of all 5 Devil Doll CD's (minus the first album "The Mark of the Beast" which had only a single copy pressed).

AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 22:24
Transatlantic The Whirlwind Deluxe Edition autographed by all four members (sorry no Gildenlow)
Neal Morse One with autograph (my first Morse cd and first one he autographed). I would mention all the other ones he has autographed and rightly so they are very valuable to me. Also his Testimony book which is autographed too!
Opeth Still Life Vinyl
Dream Theater Orange vinyl special edition number #340 
Dream Theater Awake only autographed by Mike Portnoy in fact a few months before him and DT split.

Not a lot of old school prog, but I like the newer stuff more anyway. I do cherish my Yes Close to the Edge vinyl, and all my Rush, other Yes, ELP, Genesis, DT (Scenes from a Memory especially), Pink Floyd, and on and on

Edited by AlexDOM - May 13 2013 at 22:25
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 22:38
Gold THRAK cd signed by Trey, Ade, Tony and Robert.

Soundscapes laminates (Radiophonics, A Blessing of Tears, That Which Passes).

My Dark Side of the Moon scarf.   

Trey Gunn The Third Star (laminate) signed and numbered.

A Tull flute pin.   

A Zappa Tattoo.

Edited by Barbu - May 13 2013 at 22:50
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 07:30
UK's debut album on vinyl, signed by Bill Bruford

Captain Beefheart - Lick My Decals off, Baby, initial CD edition on Enigma/Retro, which promptly went bust and out of print and the album hasn't been readily available for 20 years now.

Zappa "Baby Snakes" original picture disc LP.

Camel - "On the Road 1982" and "Never Let Go" live CDs signed by Andy Latimer and Colin Bass.

Zappa "One Size Fits All" vinyl signed by Napoleon Murphy Brock.

My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 07:39
I've got the CD of `Cherry Six', the pre-Goblin band, signed by the band! My pride and joy, and brings good memories of their wonderful Melbourne Goblin concert from last year.

Apparently the first pressing of Glass Hammer's `The Inconsolable Secret' is commanding crazy money on Amazon?? The band mentioned one of the sellers in there was wanting over $300 for it?! Is it really that hard to obtain already?

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - May 14 2013 at 10:12
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 07:48
I have some stuff that's going for high prices on Amazon too.  I'm not sure that's a true measure of value, at least until someone is willing to pay that much for it.   I have an LP on Deutsche Gramophon, a double album of Karlheinz Stockhausen's piece "Hymnen", that I was surprised to learn was quite valuable now.

I think the most I've ever paid for a single LP is R. Stevie Moore's "What's the Point???" LP, which I bought from R. Stevie himself for about $45.  It's the first ever release on the Cuneiform label, and it's signed by the artist.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 08:15
I have an original copy of Kaleidoscope's A Tangerine Dream (Proto Prog) - in the mid 70s these were changing hands for £200 - in the recent past they've gone for over £700 ($1100) on eBay. Other than that, nothing of any monetary value - the original UK release Magical Mystery Tour double-EP's goes for £15 each - what seems valuable is often not.

However, I have a lot of albums of high sentimental value and they mean a lot more to me than any price ticket value.
What?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 09:51
Original German EMI Electrola lp of Helmut Koellen's solo album You Won't See Me,(Prog-related) long out of print, and not on Cd.
Joachim Kuhn's album Snow In The Desert, on lp, complete with a gigantic poster of a photo of Kuhn.
A Harvest CD of the rare and only album by Jail (Prog-related) called You Can Help Me, which also includes the band's single, Julie.
Remastered Cd copy of Brainstorm's debut record Smile Awhile, with bonus tracks
2002 remaster to Cd of Triumvirat's Illusions On A Double Dimple, with singles tracks added

Edited by presdoug - May 14 2013 at 09:54
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 09:54
The only thing I have that would have a high monetary value would be Magma's Studio Zund, which I regret buying and will probably flog at some point when I can be bothered.

Other than that I have:

One of the first 25 CD copies of White Willow's Terminal Twilight signed by Jacob and Lars.
The Pax Cecilia's Blessed are the Bonds on CD, something you cant get any more.
Drawn's A New World? which only had a pressing of about 1000 copies.
Tartar Lamb II- Polyimage of Known Exits on vinyl.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 09:57
I have the original Nonsutch by  XTC  with the printing  on the  plastic CD  case.  Butthatisn'tprog.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 09:57
My space baris starting toscrew up
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 18:56
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Yeah, right, like you'd ever part with it Andy LOL ... and I'm sure that if you ever did you'd donate the proceeds back to the band. Approve
What?
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 19:39
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Yeah, right, like you'd ever part with it Andy LOL ... and I'm sure that if you ever did you'd donate the proceeds back to the band. Approve

Not a chance! I don't think I'd part with any of the 4 I mentioned, all too good or hold too much "sentimental" (not sure that's really the word I want but it'll do for now) value.

As for donating, I could probably stretch to splitting 50/50.Wink
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

pfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 10:04
pawn hearts vinyl - i bought it for like $20 new lol
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 10:44
Originally posted by pfloyd pfloyd wrote:

I had the import vinyl version...so your's includes the foldout sleeve of them saluting each other in front of the recording studio/reported haunted house?  I think the story goes it was the same place Genesis recorded Foxtrot and according to Peter & Jill Gabriel the house is haunted.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 11:03
Hmmmm hard one to answer really....

I have an original vinyl pressing of Soft Machine's second album from 69. That's probably one I could get a few bucks for out there in the internet. (I'll never sell though...)
Canzoniere del Lazio - Miradas. An RPI folk obscurity that I was lucky enough to get my hands on - without me knowing about it beforehand that is. I bought this guy's old LP collection, and Miradas was part of that(apparently he had grown tired of prog altogether and just needed some space at his new houseErmmApproveBig smileLOL)
Pink Floyd - Plays the Animals. Bootleg cd from 77 with all of Animals n Wish You Were Here performedBig smile
Klaus Schulze - Blackdance on vinyl - original pressing and all. It's pretty beat and you know it's been played before, but man that sound! WOW

That's all for now, but I am forgetting a fair deal of records I suspect....I'll post again, when my brain works properly(don't hold your breath though....)
Also, I've never understood the attraction of autographs - be that Humphrey Bogart's, Chris Squire's, Jenna Jameson's or simply a cast of Dolly Parton's left boob(ok, that last one I'd understand). I respect others who do so, but the mere thought of finally meeting one of my idols, and then asking them to write down their name on something, feels strangely like something the IRS would ask..... Whatever happened to the handshake? (don't answer that - the signature lasts 'forever' - and who can you really share a handshake with, other than the precipitant of it?) 

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 15 2013 at 11:05
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 11:54
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hmmmm hard one to answer really....
Also, I've never understood the attraction of autographs - be that Humphrey Bogart's, Chris Squire's, Jenna Jameson's or simply a cast of Dolly Parton's left boob(ok, that last one I'd understand). I respect others who do so, but the mere thought of finally meeting one of my idols, and then asking them to write down their name on something, feels strangely like something the IRS would ask..... Whatever happened to the handshake? (don't answer that - the signature lasts 'forever' - and who can you really share a handshake with, other than the precipitant of it?) 

I agree with you about autographs, but when I saw Robert Fripp on the 1979 Frippertronics tour at my local Tower Records, you only got to meet him if you got in the autograph line with a copy of Exposure...not a King Crimson album...RF was very specific, it had to be a copy of Exposure Wink.  I actually went through the line twice.  First time I got the autograph and spoke with him for a couple minutes.  Second time, the drummer I was playing with came through the line with me and I mentioned to RF that I was a bass player, my friend was a drummer, and our practice space was only a couple miles away...and if he wasn't doing anything after the Tower Records appearance would he like to play?  He politely turned me down...but, hey...at least I tried!  

He probably decided my 18 year old bass playing self and drummer friend weren't a "small, mobile, intelligent unit" or something LOL

Oh ya, I also remember someone bringing a Chapman Stick to the demo and asking RF to sign it and he refused.  What a day!

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 12:00

^ perhaps you should have taken a hula-hoop so he could refuse to jump through it. Wink

What?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 12:06
I don't really see the appeal in autographs either, except that people often go, "oooh!" and they are impressed by you if you own some.  That counts for something.

Oooh! I almost forgot.  One of my prized possessions is a handwritten letter from Dave Stewart I got from him in 1991, in response to my fan letter after National Health got released on CD for the first time (I got the address from the liner notes, and he encouraged we write to him: "we answer all letters").  If email had been available then, I probably would have written and received an email, which somehow isn't as memorable as an actual piece of paper sent from another country, written in his beautiful penmanship.

Edited by HolyMoly - May 15 2013 at 12:07

-Kehlog Albran
pfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 12:10
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by pfloyd pfloyd wrote:

I had the import vinyl version...so your's includes the foldout sleeve of them saluting each other in front of the recording studio/reported haunted house?  I think the story goes it was the same place Genesis recorded Foxtrot and according to Peter & Jill Gabriel the house is haunted.

Indeed it does! I had never heard that before, very interesting. Right now its framed above my work desk. love the album cover. 
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>