Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Your favorite, everybody's worst (and vice versa)?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour favorite, everybody's worst (and vice versa)?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 15:25
Why do so many of us on PA, except me of course, really dislike a momentary lapse of reason by Floyd??
I think it is a really good album and I think that people don't like it cause roger waters is gone, so roger waters lovers love to bash the sh*t out of this album. Personally, I understand that every track on AMLOR is not amazing, but most of them are. D.G's guitar on SORROW, NOT YET ANOTHER MOVIE and TERMINAL FROST o
Is nothing short of sublime.

Come on my fellow proggers. Why the serious hate for this one?? Love to know.
:)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 15:28
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Morsenator Morsenator wrote:

Tubular Bells is my 12th or so favourite Mike Oldfield album (some albums I rank well over it are TB II&III, Platinum, Five Miles Out and Guitars)

My favourite Jean Michel Jarre album is Oxygene 7-13, which I absolutely love.

Perelandra is one of my favourites from Glass Hammer.

I agree on Mike Oldfield although I think his run of albums from Tubular Bells to Discovery is fantastic and then after that there are still gems like Songs Of Distant Earth and Amarok. So putting TB at number 12 in a Mike Oldfield list is no disgraceSmile

JM Jarre - wouldn't be able to go with that although I do like that album

I'm a big GH fan but my collection only starts from Chronometree . I'm going to have to hunt down that album. BTW I rated Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted as a 5 star album (although GH have several imo)

Yeah, no disgrace to TB was intended Tongue I just don't think it's such a full-blown masterpiece many people regard it as. Ommadawn, Amarok and TSoDE etc. are in a whole different level to it. And yeah, you need to get Perelandra, there are some great tracks there. Time Marches On is maybe my fav GH song.

yep I now have Time Marches On ...would you believe on 3 seperate CD's ,all acquired in the last week or so

Perelandra
The Compilations
Live and Revived

(the last two might be the same version)

agreed its an absolutely brilliant track.. killer hook,love itHeadbanger

yay Approve
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 15:30
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Why do so many of us on PA, except me of course, really dislike a momentary lapse of reason by Floyd??
I think it is a really good album and I think that people don't like it cause roger waters is gone, so roger waters lovers love to bash the sh*t out of this album. Personally, I understand that every track on AMLOR is not amazing, but most of them are. D.G's guitar on SORROW, NOT YET ANOTHER MOVIE and TERMINAL FROST o

Sorrow and Yet Another Movie are both stunning songs, full of emotion.
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 15:33

No hate here...in the vinyl days, I spent 90% of my time on side 1.  I love "Learning to Fly", "On the Turning Away", and "One Slip" is one of my all-time fave PF songs...it's one of my favourite songs period. Clap
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 15:36

Tubular Bells is my 12th or so favourite Mike Oldfield album (some albums I rank well over it are TB II&III, Platinum, Five Miles Out and Guitars)My favourite Jean Michel Jarre album is Oxygene 7-13, which I absolutely love.Perelandra is one of my favourites from Glass Hammer.

I agree on Mike Oldfield although I think his run of albums from Tubular Bells to Discovery is fantastic and then after that there are still gems like Songs Of Distant Earth and Amarok. So putting TB at number 12 in a Mike Oldfield list is no disgraceSmile
I'm a big GH fan but my collection only starts from Chronometree . I'm going to have to hunt down that album. BTW I rated Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted as a 5 star album (although GH have several imo)

Yeah, no disgrace to TB was intended Tongue I just don't think it's such a full-blown masterpiece many people regard it as. Ommadawn, Amarok and TSoDE etc. are in a whole different level to it. And yeah, you need to get Perelandra, there are some great tracks there. Time Marches On is maybe my fav GH song.

yep I now have Time Marches On ...would you believe on 3 seperate CD's ,all acquired in the last week or so
Perelandra
The Compilations
Live and Revived
yay Approve

I absolutely love JARRE's OXYGENE album. Nothing short of a masterpiece. EQUINOX is up there as well.
As for Oldfield's OMMADAWN album. Amazing, and it make me giggle like crazy everytime I see the album cover cause he looks exactly like Elija Wood. Lol
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 16:07
Oh, and I am one of the few who consider "Hergest Ridge" to be the best album of Mike Oldfield.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 16:11
^I've opened up to that recently. I may even prefer it to Tubular Bells. That's a big statement coming from me as I spent a couple of years using TB as background music for my katas.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 17:36
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Oh, and I am one of the few who consider "Hergest Ridge" to be the best album of Mike Oldfield.

Is that the one with former Triumvirat singer Barry Palmer?
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 19:32

I love every note of it, especially the live renditions. So full of life and spirit.
Back then I thought that The Final Cut was the last PF album, and it made me sad that I didn't like it. I didn't like The Wall that much either so I stopped considering myself a Floyd fan. But with AMLOR and Bell I came back into the fold.  Thumbs Up

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 00:38
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

that came much later with Discovery I think.Discovery is a very fine album. Love the song Poison Arrows (which has Palmer). Funny that I never made the connection between Triumvirat and OldfieldBig smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 00:42

Tubular Bells is my 12th or so favourite Mike Oldfield album (some albums I rank well over it are TB II&III, Platinum, Five Miles Out and Guitars)My favourite Jean Michel Jarre album is Oxygene 7-13, which I absolutely love.Perelandra is one of my favourites from Glass Hammer.

Perelandra
The Compilations
Live and Revived
yay Approve

I absolutely love JARRE's OXYGENE album. Nothing short of a masterpiece. EQUINOX is up there as well.
As for Oldfield's OMMADAWN album. Amazing, and it make me giggle like crazy everytime I see the album cover cause he looks exactly like Elija Wood. Lol

Magnetic Fields is pretty impressive stuff as well and has Jarre's first side long track.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 05:39

Momentary Lapse is rather mediocre for me, it has its moments - Division Bell on the other hand, is a near-masterpiece, their best since Animals.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 07:26

Well, it's my favourite Oldfield album too.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 10:42

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

that came much later with Discovery I think.Discovery is a very fine album. Love the song Poison Arrows (which has Palmer). Funny that I never made the connection between Triumvirat and OldfieldBig smile
Hi, Richard, thanks.
   I read that Oldfield, upon hearing Triumvirat's Pompeii album with Palmer, was so impressed that he wanted him to get involved as a singer, but at first Barry said he wanted to give priority to his solo album project he had been currently working on, but later came
a singing commitment. I'll have to hear that Discovery.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 12:14
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Momentary Lapse is rather mediocre for me, it has its moments - Division Bell on the other hand, is a near-masterpiece, their best since Animals.

For me it's the other way around with Dell being  very dull to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789