Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Prog Mind
    Posted: September 18 2013 at 10:03
To me, life certainly has a value and a meaning, even if the meaning of life is sometimes hard to find.  But everyone of us has the potential to enrich the world by contributing to the creation of new and beautiful things, and to the construction of a better society with a higher quality of life for everybody.  I call this the "progressive mindset", and I feel that it is important in progressive rock (especially in classical progressive rock, most pronouncedly in the music of Yes; but also in later progressive rock styles).

Progressive rock thereby differs fundamentally from many of the music genres that have been fashionable since 1975, such as punk, hardcore, gothic and extreme metal, which express a nihilistic mindset according to which life has no meaning and all one can thrive for is to grab as big a stash as one can before one dies.

Progressive rock is refreshingly different from that, and it tells a lot that despite researching the matter for years, I haven't yet found any progressive rock that expresses extreme-right ideologies (though there are some right-wing bands, like Sol Invictus, that sometimes sound much like Tool, but that is a different, independent usage of the word "progressive rock" that has very little to do with the music of Yes, Pink Floyd, Rush, Marillion, IQ, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard etc.).  Progressive rock simply is too permeated by the progressive mindset to be a viable option for those who seek to express hate and cynicism through music.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 16:25
^
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 09:58
Whu gives a ****.
What?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 08:44
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

"Nah, I absolutely believe that human existence has value (but no meaning)

How can there be any 'value' if there is no meaning to existence? It all becomes arbitrary and totally  subjective.....kind of like prog rock reviews.
Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_(personal_and_cultural)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_of_life

Well, duh. Life is arbitary and totally subjective.

However, I suspect that "value" for a nihilist refers to intrinsic value rather than personal and cultural value, but I don't care enough to argue.
That sounds a bit nihilistic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 06:55
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

How can there be any 'value' if there is no meaning to existence? It all becomes arbitrary and totally  subjective.....kind of like prog rock reviews.
Wink

Well, duh. Life is arbitary and totally subjective.

However, I suspect that "value" for a nihilist refers to intrinsic value rather than personal and cultural value, but I don't care enough to argue.
What?
Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 00:02
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by bonestorm bonestorm wrote:

Lol. Nihilism? A person who rejects all religious principals and believes earnestly with extream skepticism all philosophical theories are obsolete. Dean, could this be you?

Hahaha... scathing reply incoming in 3, 2, 1...

Hey ThrillHouse!! Speaking of philosophical principals, I meant to tell you that I really enjoyed your album. The story is so compelling....it starts with a hand....then the rest of the human vessel becomes a mindless, memory-less drone enslaved to a company. Wooooo 110 years old he will be one day. Also, pretty sad when Jane walks in and he doesn't know who she is. :( Great guitar as well to capture that moment. Nailed it! I liked man. You should be proud of your sound you create. I find it is highly agreeable with me. Thanks so much. ;)

Spoilers!LOLLOL  
theprogmind.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2013 at 23:37

Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - August 23 2013 at 23:44
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2013 at 20:16
Originally posted by bonestorm bonestorm wrote:

Lol. Nihilism? A person who rejects all religious principals and believes earnestly with extream skepticism all philosophical theories are obsolete. Dean, could this be you?

Hey ThrillHouse!! Speaking of philosophical principals, I meant to tell you that I really enjoyed your album. The story is so compelling....it starts with a hand....then the rest of the human vessel becomes a mindless, memory-less drone enslaved to a company. Wooooo 110 years old he will be one day. Also, pretty sad when Jane walks in and he doesn't know who she is. :( Great guitar as well to capture that moment. Nailed it! I liked man. You should be proud of your sound you create. I find it is highly agreeable with me. Thanks so much. ;)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2013 at 19:27

Nah, I absolutely believe that human existence has value (but no meaning). Having read up on nihilism since, they strike me as being miserable buggers and I'm the diametric opposite of miserable.
What?
bonestorm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2013 at 19:19

Hibernal http://hibernal.bandcamp.com
"This is a stunning work of art" - Muzik Reviews
"A precious gem" - Dante's Prog
Shutoku View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2013 at 19:13
I am definitely more of a music guy than a lyric guy, and for most music I seldom take the time to figure out what is being said. In fact there are for example Beatle lyrics I've sung for 40 years I never really thought about the meaning of. For me they are sort of like an instrument, and the sound of the word is musically more important than the meaning.

Now a curious exception for me is the lyrics of Jon Anderson. His I paid more attention to and did try to decipher meaning from. Maybe because his lyrics are so strange that sort of like a Zen koan, they challenged me.

I am another who was introduced to Paramansa Yogananda largely through TFTO.  TFTO opened my mind musically, and the idea it was based on a footnote in Autobiography of a Yogi was enough for me to get a copy. 
This lead to becoming vegetarian, giving up drugs, taking up meditation, and the beginning of my spiritual journey in life.
It was all timing. If I encountered Yogananda today I wouldn't  be terribly impressed, but it was the perfect vehicle for me at the time. Today I am a Buddhist and have been for 20 or so years (Jodo Shinshu with a large Zen influence) though I do still see a one-ness in the basic teachings of religions...in fact I think of religion much like language and music and art...different cultures and epochs have their own versions which serve the same purpose. 
The problems arise when people start taking myths too literally and insisting any view other than theirs is wrong.

Anyway, in my case I cannot say that a song changed my life, though in a very real way TFTO did, in that it introduced me to really progressive music, and more deeply introduced me to Eastern spirituality.  TFTO was my gateway drug. LOL

Anyway mostly I don't pay too much attention to lyrics, but to the sounds of the vocals. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2013 at 18:25

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 18:26
Originally posted by warrplayer warrplayer wrote:

Well, while I agree with you whole heartedly about the ultimate pointlessness of human endeavor, my point was that philosophers do engage with scientists now days and this leads to verifiable experiments. You can go through any examples I provide and say, well, that is neurology, or that is psycology. But, if the experiemnt came about because of musings between a philosophy major and a neurologist then I stand by my general ascertion that philosophy can ultimately lead to greater human knowledge. Are you thinking if we went back in time and kept assasinating Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle that when we returned to the present we would find the world just as scientificly advanced as it currently is?
Unless you give an example of one such philosophy major then I cannot comment, evidence trumps hearsay.

In the days of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle philosophy covered everything - all science, mathematics, astronomy, astrology, alchemy, biology, physics, geology, physiology, psycology, sociology, music, poetry (etc) - all fell under the umberella of philosophy (philo=loving; sophia=wisdom/knowledge), it was only after the 16th century that we started to seperate out this "love of knowledge" into seperate and distinct disciplines, and in doing so created philosophy as idle pastime where it adopted a more rigid definition regarding contemplation about existence and knowledge and ethics. If we (hyperthetically) could irradicate that particular kind of "musing" from Socrates at least, he may have lived longer and given us more. If we form a different list of ancient Greeks - say Aristotle, Pythagoras and Archimedes - then philosophy (as the seperate discipline of the post-16th century) is of less importance compared to the physical sciences (ie after Aristotle). So the answer to your hyperthetical sage assasination question is probably "yes".
What?
warrplayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 17:38
Well, while I agree with you whole heartedly about the ultimate pointlessness of human endeavor, my point was that philosophers do engage with scientists now days and this leads to verifiable experiments. You can go through any examples I provide and say, well, that is neurology, or that is psycology. But, if the experiemnt came about because of musings between a philosophy major and a neurologist then I stand by my general ascertion that philosophy can ultimately lead to greater human knowledge. Are you thinking if we went back in time and kept assasinating Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle that when we returned to the present we would find the world just as scientificly advanced as it currently is?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 17:30

Sorry, What is a nillist?

Someone who doesn't recognize a misspelling. : )
Embarrassed I'm dyslexic, I wasn't picking you up on spelling. I have never bothered to remember what a nihilist is as it is a peice of information that serves no purpose.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 17:26

Someone who doesn't recognize a misspelling. : )
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 17:12

Everyone assumes that philosophy does nothing but good, yet there is little evidence of that. In its basic form, philosophy does nothing and gives us nothing, it has never produced anything of value, for every philosophical thought there is an counter train of thought that states the opposite view. One man's philosophical panacea is another man's anathema.

You seem to be confusing philosophies with philosophy. while I might agree that fully formed philoshopies of life are little better than religions, the actual job of modern philosophers is to think about and pose questions about the human condition, human behavior, etc. this is usually no longer done in a vacuum, with philosophers dialoging with socialogists, pyschiatrists, neurologists, etc. Much of this if done well, can lead to intersting thought experiments which can then lead to actual experiments that lead to new facts about the humn brain or human behavior.
Nope. I'm pretty sure I know the difference between a philosophy and philosophy to avoid such confusion, but you seem to know me better than I do.

So, to paraphrase the drummer joke - a philosopher is someone who hangs around with scientists.

The Stanford prison experiment is a perfect example. Basically we now understand how nazis are made. 
Except that's psychology not philosophy and it does not show how nazis are made and from a scientific point of view it was a flawed experiment. But that's psychology for you.

Philosopher musings on consciousness have led to experiemnts on change blindness, human memory capacity, etc, etc which have lead to new factual knowledge about how the brain works. 
Again, psychology rather than philosophy.

So, even if you found the study of major philosophies of thought to be a complete waste of time for yourself, trying to make out that science has not advanced in some small part due to philosophy isn't really a believable proposition. Sure, if you are a nillist you can rant about mankind being doomed to repeat its mistakes over and over, but that's a cop out on the question of whether philosophy as ever contributed to the store of human knowledge. It has.  
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 14:54

Everyone assumes that philosophy does nothing but good, yet there is little evidence of that. In its basic form, philosophy does nothing and gives us nothing, it has never produced anything of value, for every philosophical thought there is an counter train of thought that states the opposite view. One man's philosophical panacea is another man's anathema.

You seem to be confusing philosophies with philosophy. while I might agree that fully formed philoshopies of life are little better than religions, the actual job of modern philosophers is to think about and pose questions about the human condition, human behavior, etc. this is usually no longer done in a vacuum, with philosophers dialoging with socialogists, pyschiatrists, neurologists, etc. Much of this if done well, can lead to intersting thought experiments which can then lead to actual experiments that lead to new facts about the humn brain or human behavior.

The Stanford prison experiment is a perfect example. Basically we now understand how nazis are made. 

Philosopher musings on consciousness have led to experiemnts on change blindness, human memory capacity, etc, etc which have lead to new factual knowledge about how the brain works. 

So, even if you found the study of major philosophies of thought to be a complete waste of time for yourself, trying to make out that science has not advanced in some small part due to philosophy isn't really a believable proposition. Sure, if you are a nillist you can rant about mankind being doomed to repeat its mistakes over and over, but that's a cop out on the question of whether philosophy as ever contributed to the store of human knowledge. It has.  

Edited by warrplayer - August 21 2013 at 14:54
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 09:45
Originally posted by Second Life Syndrome Second Life Syndrome wrote:

How important are the philosophies and ideas in prog to you?  I find more and more that I often appreciate the lyrical message more than the music, at least at first.  The lyrical content often opens up the door for me to fall in love with the music!  One example: Riversea's "Out of an Ancient World".  This album is a masterpiece in my opinion, but the philosophy is what gripped me at first.  Truly, prog is music for thinking men!
If not, share your feelings about this topic!

I have always felt Prog to be music & literature combined; and I use the word "literature" here to define a style of lyric writing that included literary references, philosophy, scifi, fantasy, spirituality, and even political and social commentary. A style of music with a unique duality, with its own body & spirit, some of it good, some of it not so good. In my case I'm going to use Genesis (Gabriel-Hackett era) as an example, (Now I'm aware we all have our favorite(s)), because Genesis was a storytelling  band combined with great music, and they were one of the best at it.

At the time, ('70's) I was really into English folklore, William Blake, Tolkien, Greek mythology, some scfi, to name just a few. What appealed to me was discovering some of these references and influences in their music and I was hooked. At the same time there was an element of irony with a light  humor that kept me sitting there entertained and still listening. Now, sorry, I didn't mean to get all "high-brow" about this, but it was the first time I had found a musical mindset that coincided or balanced out with mine with all the elements mentioned above. Of course there were other bands & artists that fell into place for me. And if there is such a thing as a Prog Mind then that's when I discovered mine. There was no going back.

Smile

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 16:24
Anyone listen to T's Psychoanorexia yet? Some major philosophy and poetry in the lyrics of that album. Quite dense actually. :)

Give it a spin guys. It's great. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>