Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWere the Doors progressive?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
humor4u1959 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Were the Doors progressive?
    Posted: May 17 2013 at 02:41
I think they were. Their music was quite a bit more complex than other bands back then. I'd like you to post your choice of song(s) that best demonstrate the Doors' progressive side. Thanks so much!
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 05:20

The DOORS were very progressive rock.

Edited by Svetonio - May 17 2013 at 05:35
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 05:33
Silly question really. The Doors were perhaps the ultimate progressive rock band, that is without ever playing 'prog'.
They were among the very first acts who brought the arts into the rock template. Nietszche, Baudelaire, Kerouac, Ginsberg, ancient Greek tragedies, Native American spiritually and etc etc etc - and that is just in the lyrics.
The music mixed rock with classical piano sprees, cabaret, circus themes, folk, free improv, jazz, blues and flamenco.

One of the most progressive bands of all time imo.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 06:30
Bluesy Psychedelic Rock and Acid Rock, in what has later been seen as Art Rock (but wasn't at the time), they were never Progressive Rock, they followed a parallel path of their own that can be regarded as a progressive approach and mindset (which was not uncommon back then). Influential on the development of Prog certainly, (which is why we list them here in Proto-Prog), but none of their songs are Prog Rock within the late 60s early 70s framework, nor did it ever seem to be heading in that direction.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 06:39
At least we agree on where to put them. Proto is indeed the right place.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 06:53
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Bluesy Psychedelic Rock and Acid Rock, in what has later been seen as Art Rock (but wasn't at the time), they were never Progressive Rock, they followed a parallel path of their own that can be regarded as a progressive approach and mindset (which was not uncommon back then). Influential on the development of Prog certainly, (which is why we list them here in Proto-Prog), but none of their songs are Prog Rock within the late 60s early 70s framework, nor did it ever seem to be heading in that direction.
Nothing else to add.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 08:46
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Nothing else to add.

I disagree. The Doors were U.S. '60s progressive rock act without a doubt. The Doors just weren't a part of English Progressive Rock Movement what virtualy makes above mentioned "late 60s early 70s framework". The Doors regulary ought to be in Archives as Psych, or Eclectic, or Crossover prog act - nevermind in which one section of those exactly, but that section ought to be a progressive rock category, not "proto prog".

Edited by Svetonio - May 17 2013 at 08:46
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 09:22
Progressive related to many other bands then? Yes.
Progressive rock..? No.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 10:07
I like them a lot, that's enough for me. Labels are something the industri needs for promotion, reviewers for categorization. As I listener it doesn't matter.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 10:19
Yes
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 11:06
They certainly had their progy and experimental songs, but overall I don't consider them as a prog band.
Like David said they mixed a lot of styles. Diverse but not prog.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 11:07
No. But they are prog or prog-related enough to warrant inclusion here. Wait... they already are here. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 11:19
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Nothing else to add.

I disagree. The Doors were U.S. '60s progressive rock act without a doubt. The Doors just weren't a part of English Progressive Rock Movement what virtually makes above mentioned "late 60s early 70s framework". The Doors regulary ought to be in Archives as Psych, or Eclectic, or Crossover prog act - nevermind in which one section of those exactly, but that section ought to be a progressive rock category, not "proto prog".
You cannot reinvent the history of Progressive Rock to make it fit your idealised dream of what happened back then or to slot in your favourite artists, that is simply revisionist and wrong. Nor can you redefine what Prog Rock is to make them fit - if they were not described as Progressive Rock in their own timeframe we cannot decribe them as such now.

The Doors do not fit into any of those subgenres, even Psych is wholly inapproriate because they never made a Psychedelic Progressive Rock record (if that less-than subtle distinction flies over your head then I suggest you read the Psych/Space Rock genre definition) ... we do not add every Psychedelic Rock band there ever was into that genre, just as we do not add every Avant Garde composer into Avant Prog or every Electric Folk Rock artist into Prog Folk.
What?
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 12:38
They are THE DOORS. Nuff said. Bigger than any genre. That's it.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 12:46
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

They are THE DOORS. Nuff said. Bigger than any genre. That's it.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 12:56
^exactomundo.

- Douglas Adams
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:09
Open minded prog approach : check
Some prog moments : check
Ahead of their time : check
Good musicianship : check

The Doors were influential in the development of the prog scene for sure, maybe among the first prog bands, but definitely proto prog.

"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:12
I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:18

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Nothing else to add.
I disagree. The Doors were U.S. '60s progressive rock act without a doubt. The Doors just weren't a part of English Progressive Rock Movement what virtually makes above mentioned "late 60s early 70s framework". The Doors regulary ought to be in Archives as Psych, or Eclectic, or Crossover prog act - nevermind in which one section of those exactly, but that section ought to be a progressive rock category, not "proto prog".

You cannot reinvent the history of Progressive Rock to make it fit your idealised dream of what happened back then or to slot in your favourite artists, that is simply revisionist and wrong. Nor can you redefine what Prog Rock is to make them fit - if they were not described as Progressive Rock in their own timeframe we cannot decribe them as such now.

The Doors do not fit into any of those subgenres, even Psych is wholly inapproriate because they never made a Psychedelic Progressive Rock record (if that less-than subtle distinction flies over your head then I suggest you read the Psych/Space Rock genre definition) ... we do not add every Psychedelic Rock band there ever was into that genre, just as we do nat add every Avant Garde composer into Avant Prog or every Electric Folk Rock artist into Prog Folk.

I can't reinvent history of Progressive Rock, but there are some musicologists who can do it and who alredy did it!

A long time ago I meet Koja ("Koya") who was leader of  Šarlo Akrobata, a Punk trio from New Belgrade, Serbia, because he use to live just a few blocks away from my place.

Šarlo Akrobata trio were 100% punk outfit when released that material what on very misterious way qualified them for Prog  Archives. Well,  because of so called "patriotic" reason, I would be happy because one punk bass player from my street is in PA'  RIO / Avant Prog section, where the legends like THE DOORS "can not be" included, because "not every avant band is prog" and so on, but ... Confused 

I find one "prog" video of Šarlo Akrobata. I just wish that The Doors fan(s) notice how sounds a PUNK band that has an advantage as "RIO / Avant prog" over The Doors.

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3696
"... Today, we can take a broader look at the band from prog rock perspective: their inovation and elements of art rock / avant Rock ..."

This song is their athem. Maybe nice punk song, but Prog???!!

Regards!

Edited by Svetonio - May 17 2013 at 13:50
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:30
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn.

My favourite Jim Morrison quote. Texas Radio and the Big Beat baby

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>