Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWere the Doors progressive?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 13:50
The Doors weren't psychedelic?

Hmmm....from my experience, they went along with mushrooms quite well.

Anyway, from a progressive psychedelic standpoint, the monk bought lunch.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 14:15
The Doors did some great tracks.

Love how their music was used at the beginning of the "Apocalypse Now" movie.

I read the drummer John Densmore's autobiography "Riders On The Storm", a very interesting book that has a lot of information about the band without the typical sensationalism.

I've heard that the recent documentary DVD "When You're Strange" is very good but I haven't had a chance to see it yet.
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 16:41
R.I.P. Ray Manzarek

Edited by Larree - May 20 2013 at 16:42
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 17:00
Damn, the news I never wanted to hear. Ray Manzarek passed away.

RIP, Ray.
Thank you for the music that means so much to me.

Edited by NotAProghead - May 20 2013 at 17:01
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 17:06
RIP Ray Manzarek
Pietro Otello Romano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 16:25
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ermm I don't think anyone's questioning their worthiness for Proto Prog.

I do!... I don't think Doors were any good at all, on my opinion  they were just a overvalued commercial band, in line with the time that were generally on an higher level than now, but as a phenomenon they were not better than U2 or Michael Jackson. They are the shame of Prog Archives. I am sorry for the Doors fan but on my opinion they shouldn't be here at all!   LOL
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful

what we pretend to be."

Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 16:43
^ No. No.....

Edited by Horizons - April 27 2014 at 16:51
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 16:57
Originally posted by Pietro Otello Romano Pietro Otello Romano wrote:

I do!... I don't think Doors were any good at all, on my opinion  they were just a overvalued commercial band, in line with the time that were generally on an higher level than now, but as a phenomenon they were not better than U2 or Michael Jackson. They are the shame of Prog Archives. I am sorry for the Doors fan but on my opinion they shouldn't be here at all!   LOL
Sorry, but opinion and preference is irrelevant, they can be the worse band in the whole world ever for all it matters. We don't judge the quality of the artist when including them in the archive. 
What?
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 17:46
The Doors were one of the most innovative and experimental bands of late 60s, so they were definitely some kind of protoype of prog. Pretty much close to what we call prog actually, way closer than The Beatles.
This night wounds time.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 18:46

Bzuh? "Overvalued commercial band"? It's well past April Fool's Day, so I have to assume you're being serious, if not a bit depleted in cognitive ability. The Doors certainly had hit singles, but I would suggest that they were not at all "commercial" in either composition, lyrics or philosophy. Far from it. If anything, they spurned greater commercial success.

For instance, Jim Morrison refused to censor the song "Light My Fire" on the Ed Sullivan Show, and they were never invited back again. Even the Rolling Stones, the supposed bad boys of rock, backed down and changed the lyrics of "Let's Spend the Night Together" for the Sullivan Show due to its enormous popularity. But Morrison did not care.

Definitely proto-prog, and certainly more adventurous than half the bands labeled prog.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
ElectricWanderer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 07:50
I've always liked The Doors, but I've also noticed that there is a very persistent group of people among "classic rock" music listeners who absolutely despise them. I've never understood it. Probably it's just another one of these cases where a band became very successful and didn't fit into their tastes so they feel compelled to find any excuse to push them down.

POR also mentioned U2, which is an another good example of this. I know a lot of people who "hate" U2. As far as I know, none of them ever listened to any of the albums U2 made at their peak. They just know some of the overplayed hits and have a vague general image of Bono being some sort of an a****le. Hence, U2 must suck. Sure.

The Doors are great.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 15:29
I don't like The Doors or U2. The Doors are one of those bands that when a song by them comes on the radio I have to turn it off. Its interesting that Robert Plant dubbed The Stranglers 'The British Doors' yet I like The Stranglers. 

I bought Joshua Tree but found it just gave me a headache and I got rid pretty quickly. The way 80's music was produced often had that affect on me though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 04:59
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I don't like The Doors or U2. The Doors are one of those bands that when a song by them comes on the radio I have to turn it off. Its interesting that Robert Plant dubbed The Stranglers 'The British Doors' yet I like The Stranglers. 

I bought Joshua Tree but found it just gave me a headache and I got rid pretty quickly. The way 80's music was produced often had that affect on me though.

I am totally agree, and above all I don't think they are prog at all. There are artists refused by the administrators that even if is debatable if they are better than the Doors, at least they are in the boundaries of progrock: Cat Stevens (Foreigner suite), Joe Jackson (Heaven and Hell, Night Music) etc... Consequentially my question is about the the nature of this site, is it a site about prog music, or just a site of good contemporary music? Because if its the latter, it is ever trickier, which are the parameter to discern the good music from the "bad"? Is Morricone bad music? Or are the Pooh, (that are listed here) good music?

what we pretend to be."

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 19:23
It's a site about prog and prog-related music. Some is good, some bad, and nothing's better than the Doors. Smile

Anyway the aim of the site is to present prog rock in its various forms. I hope you've seen About page: http://www.progarchives.com/about_us.asp
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 07:11

I am totally agree, and above all I don't think they are prog at all. There are artists refused by the administrators that even if is debatable if they are better than the Doors, at least they are in the boundaries of progrock: Cat Stevens (Foreigner suite), Joe Jackson (Heaven and Hell, Night Music) etc... Consequentially my question is about the the nature of this site, is it a site about prog music, or just a site of good contemporary music? Because if its the latter, it is ever trickier, which are the parameter to discern the good music from the "bad"? Is Morricone bad music? Or are the Pooh, (that are listed here) good music?

No-one is claiming that the Doors were a Prog band. They are listed here as Proto Prog which means (amongst other things) that they AIN'T a Prog band. They are however deemed to have contributed to that bridge between Psyche and Prog that occurred during the late 60's. As Dean has already pointed out, there are no parameters on PA to discern good music from bad music: artists are considered for inclusion based on their relevance to Prog Rock. Cat Stevens was nominated but rejected here: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74623&KW=Cat+Stevens
but I can't find a similar nomination for Joe Jackson (whose work I like and he's written a symphony but that doesn't make him relevant to Prog Rock) Are the Pooh a band you think worthy of inclusion or are you just talking s.h.i.t.e?

Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 05:43
today marks a 1 year anniversary of a sad tragedy that happened on this day last year: this man died from bile duct cancer...

Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 07:33
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

No-one is claiming that the Doors were a Prog band. They are listed here as Proto Prog which means (amongst other things) that they AIN'T a Prog band. They are however deemed to have contributed to that bridge between Psyche and Prog that occurred during the late 60's. As Dean has already pointed out, there are no parameters on PA to discern good music from bad music: artists are considered for inclusion based on their relevance to Prog Rock. Cat Stevens was nominated but rejected here: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74623&KW=Cat+Stevens
but I can't find a similar nomination for Joe Jackson (whose work I like and he's written a symphony but that doesn't make him relevant to Prog Rock) Are the Pooh a band you think worthy of inclusion or are you just talking s.h.i.t.e?

No I don`t think at all that Pooh are worty of inclusion, I just let you know that they are already included. Check the link: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3832
and get the information before talking s.h.i.t.e.
all the best

what we pretend to be."

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 08:03
sarcasm just flies over your head methinks (it's a missile not a frisbee)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 09:11
Things may come and things may go but the I Pooh debate goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on ... And on and on and on and on....

No, they are not a Prog band, though the fount of all misinformation, wikipoodiah, says they are. They were/are a pop band that in the 70s made a couple of symphonic Prog albums in the RPI style and for that they qualify for addition here.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 09:17
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>