Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWere the Doors progressive?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 09:23
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

made a couple of symphonic Prog albums in the RPI style and for that they qualify for addition here.
I missed those albums. Did Jim sing in Italian and all?
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 14:46
I say it again, the Doors are bigger than Psych, asid and whatever. They are the DOORS, nuff said.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 23:18
Yes they were very progressive in those days...
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 23:19
Their placement in proto-prog is as much justified as it is for The Beatles..
NYSPORTSFAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 19:38
Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

Their placement in proto-prog is as much justified as it is for The Beatles..

Not even close when you consider The Beatles influence on the early progressive rock movement were so much more tangible than The Doors. What significant progressive rock band did the Doors influence to form in the first place that equals King Crimson, Yes or even Can?

Really even early Pink Floyd were more Beatles influenced than the Doors. The Doors were a very good band but The Beatles influence dwarfs the Doors let's be realistic and not try to downplay the obvious influence The Beatles had.

Edited by NYSPORTSFAN - July 24 2014 at 19:43
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 01:37
I've always believed that the Doors were more influential to the so-called Post-Punk bands like Echo & the Bunnymen, the Banshees, Joy Division, the Fall and the Cure et al rather than the vast rump of early 70's Proggers.
For me, the Doors first album was as influential and far reaching for the heavier and darker end of the rock spectrum as the Beatles were to pop music. Praise indeed, I'm sure you'll agree.

Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 03:22
Uh? I like the Doors and U2! (And because of the U2 bashing here, I tell you that my favourite albums of them are the first three ones Boy, October and War.)
Both were influential for rock music in their ways, but none of them I see belonging to the musical genre of 'prog rock', IMHO.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 03:54
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Silly question really. The Doors were perhaps the ultimate progressive rock band, that is without ever playing 'prog'.
They were among the very first acts who brought the arts into the rock template. Nietszche, Baudelaire, Kerouac, Ginsberg, ancient Greek tragedies, Native American spiritually and etc etc etc - and that is just in the lyrics.
The music mixed rock with classical piano sprees, cabaret, circus themes, folk, free improv, jazz, blues and flamenco.

One of the most progressive bands of all time imo.

The question was not so silly because it gives you the chance to show the difference between being innovative and playing prog rock unless you find it silly that we could not argue that it's the ultimate progressive band, which i doubt looking at the end of your comment that said imo...
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 05:30
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Silly question really. The Doors were perhaps the ultimate progressive rock band, that is without ever playing 'prog'.
They were among the very first acts who brought the arts into the rock template. Nietszche, Baudelaire, Kerouac, Ginsberg, ancient Greek tragedies, Native American spiritually and etc etc etc - and that is just in the lyrics.
The music mixed rock with classical piano sprees, cabaret, circus themes, folk, free improv, jazz, blues and flamenco.

One of the most progressive bands of all time imo.
The question was not so silly because it gives you the chance to show the difference between being innovative and playing prog rock unless you find it silly that we could not argue that it's the ultimate progressive band, which i doubt looking at the end of your comment that said imo...

I was being tongue-in-cheek.
The Doors were never a "prog band", which I did mention earlier, but they were incredibly progressive for their day.....and they played rock. Ergo rock that is progressive
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 01:10
I have to agree with Guldbamsen. It depends on how to define progressive. If progressive as in "prog", they don't meet it. If progressive as in push the boundaries in rock, then definitely.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234