Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavorite Muse Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What is your favorite studio album by Muse
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
4 [15.38%]
15 [57.69%]
3 [11.54%]
3 [11.54%]
1 [3.85%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Muse Album
    Posted: May 20 2013 at 20:44
What's your favorite album by Muse. Muse is rarely discussed here, and I'm curious about the proggers' input.

My favorite is the Resistance, easily. Bellamy's vocals fit nicely with the mood of the music, and there's not a song on it that is less than decent. Their most recent album was okay, and quite eclectic which was nice. Some of it wasn't quite my taste though, a little too electronic sometimes.

I know many people can't stand the bombast which is Muse, though frankly I don't mind it. Smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 20:45
Absolution > Black Holes > Resistance
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 21:20
Resistance > Absolution > Origin > Black Holes > Showbiz >>>>>> The 2nd Law
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 23:51
I enjoy them all, bombast lives lol I have to pick the Resistance as my fave though.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 00:02
Black holes and revelations.

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 01:48
Absolution is the album that got me into them. Takes no prisoners. The follow up Black Holes and Revelations saw some nice experiments with traditional prog on Take A Bow and Knights Of Cydonia. Quite a nice balance of ideas but a little unfocused. The Resistance is merely a pop album and a very average one at that . Second Law is a return to form albeit with more plagarism than normal but I like it. The debut is overlooked but has some good raw rock tracks that should be turned up loud. Origin does nothing much for me but I expected it to get some votes as its quite popular.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 05:54
Absolution, a near masterpiece. I'm surprised at all the votes for The Resistance, that album bores me silly as it's Muse without the bombast which is an integral part of their sound IMO.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 09:44
I've been meaning to get another Muse album but didn't know which one to go for, so this poll might help me.
Anyway... I have only two, I like Origin better than Absolution.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 14:25
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Absolution is the album that got me into them. Takes no prisoners. The follow up Black Holes and Revelations saw some nice experiments with traditional prog on Take A Bow and Knights Of Cydonia. Quite a nice balance of ideas but a little unfocused. The Resistance is merely a pop album and a very average one at that . Second Law is a return to form albeit with more plagarism than normal but I like it. The debut is overlooked but has some good raw rock tracks that should be turned up loud. Origin does nothing much for me but I expected it to get some votes as its quite popular.

Resistance a pop album? Aside from the first couple tracks, I'm having trouble seeing the pop on this album.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 14:34
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Resistance a pop album? Aside from the first couple tracks, I'm having trouble seeing the pop on this album.

I have heard so many arguments on why the Resistance is terrible, but to me it just sounds the same as them before, with a bit more overproduction. You can't seriously tell me "MK Ultra" and "Unnatural Selection" aren't two of their best songs.

Resistance is great, and their best in my opinion.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 14:53

I should have put the words 'Excepting Exogenesis' after the Resistance but otherwise I stick to my comments. Its just too much like driving with the hand brake on. Perhaps 'Pop' is a bit too general a description and what I really mean is 'safe' but nevertheless its not doing it for me. 

BTW does anyone recognise my avatar?Wink
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 15:16
1 - Absolution
2 - Black Holes and Revelations
3 - Origin of Symmetry
4 - The Resistance
5 - Showbiz

Don't even mention that ugly, disgusting pile of garbage of an album that is The 2nd Law...
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 19:06

I should have put the words 'Excepting Exogenesis' after the Resistance but otherwise I stick to my comments. Its just too much like driving with the hand brake on. Perhaps 'Pop' is a bit too general a description and what I really mean is 'safe' but nevertheless its not doing it for me. 

What, like recognising that it comes from the video for Sing for Absolution. No, not in the slightest!Tongue

Actually, I seem to remember commenting on it before when you first used it, which would be some years back now I think. And yes, safe is exactly how I'd describe Resistance.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 10:31
Origin, with Absolution very close behind. Not a big fan of their other releases, but these two are pretty ace.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 13:11
Absolution
This night wounds time.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 14:54
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

What, like recognising that it comes from the video for Sing for Absolution. No, not in the slightest!Tongue

Actually, I seem to remember commenting on it before when you first used it, which would be some years back now I think. And yes, safe is exactly how I'd describe Resistance.

Cool
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 18:50
1. Absolution
2. Black Holes & Revelations
3. The 2nd Law
4. Origin of Symmetry
5. Showbiz
6. The Resistance
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 19:03
Absolution
Origin
Resistance
Black Holes
Showbiz
That awful sh*t.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 22:42
Other than the 2 awful dubstep tracks, I really like 2nd law.  They try something new in every song.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 22:48
I couldn't enjoy it at all. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>