Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 12:44
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by zeqexes zeqexes wrote:

Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Dream Theater is one of those bands where you don't realize how long they've been around; 24 years and counting, with a new album coming this fall!  I think they're the kind of band that could be around practically forever, although their longevity is going to be contingent on how long it takes for Labrie's voice to go pop.

Actually it's closer to 28 years, if you count the years before the debut album. And I agree about LaBrie. If their newest album doesn't really show any spark or creative difference from their other albums, then I think a lot of people will say that they've reached the stage where the best is behind them.

It is 28. We cannot forget those majesty days and I'm like you guys where by I'm very excited to see what lies ahead. Dream theaters last album was nothing short of amazing. That track, Outcry is an immediate attack of the senses. Wow.
I believe I gave the album a 5/5

Yeah, I didn't know how long they had been together beforehand so just counted it from the debut.  I also loved ADTOE and think it's one of their best, but I do think they've reached a point where it's time to go in another creative direction; I'm thinking something like Six Degrees, where the band mingled a lot of other styles and influences into their sound while still sounding like themselves.  But because they're more mature composers now, I think they could manage to write an album that's more coherent and less sprawling than 6DoIT.

I really, really do hope that Labrie can hold his voice together.  He sounded great on the last record but from what video I've seen of live performances it sounds like he's trying too hard.  I think a more melodic, less "metal" direction for his vocals on the next album, with a bit of range adjustment, would make the live performances of the new songs better.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 13:57
If there are some musical ensembles to play Middle Age music, we can bet that some musicians would enjoy playing the repertoire of the 20th century's Rock music: we already have The Watch, Soft Machine Legacy, Mahavishnu Project, Zappa Plays Zappa...
Then, it doesn't sound crazy to think that some names would be carried towards the next centuries and that our children's children's children will queue to get tickets for the next concert of Yes - The 4th Generation or something like that.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 14:42
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I'm not so sure this a very good thing. LOL

A lot of the greats from the '70's drifted off into commercialits. Yes became very stale for me...

I wouldn't be surprised if Rush carries on as heads in jars like Futureama. LOL
LOL Oh yes, that sounds really typical!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 19:13

Originally posted by zeqexes zeqexes wrote:

Dream Theater is one of those bands where you don't realize how long they've been around; 24 years and counting, with a new album coming this fall!  I think they're the kind of band that could be around practically forever, although their longevity is going to be contingent on how long it takes for Labrie's voice to go pop.

Actually it's closer to 28 years, if you count the years before the debut album. And I agree about LaBrie. If their newest album doesn't really show any spark or creative difference from their other albums, then I think a lot of people will say that they've reached the stage where the best is behind them.

It is 28. We cannot forget those majesty days and I'm like you guys where by I'm very excited to see what lies ahead. Dream theaters last album was nothing short of amazing. That track, Outcry is an immediate attack of the senses. Wow.
I believe I gave the album a 5/5
Yeah, I didn't know how long they had been together beforehand so just counted it from the debut.  I also loved ADTOE and think it's one of their best, but I do think they've reached a point where it's time to go in another creative direction; I'm thinking something like Six Degrees, where the band mingled a lot of other styles and influences into their sound while still sounding like themselves.  But because they're more mature composers now, I think they could manage to write an album that's more coherent and less sprawling than 6DoIT.I really, really do hope that Labrie can hold his voice together.  He sounded great on the last record but from what video I've seen of live performances it sounds like he's trying too hard.  I think a more melodic, less "metal" direction for his vocals on the next album, with a bit of range adjustment, would make the live performances of the new songs better.

I agree about Mr. LaBrie voice. He needs to sound like he did on The Score: 25th anniversary live at radio city music hall. That was the best he ever sounded. He took the metal out of his voice and preceded to sound like the melodical juggernaut he is! My favourite performance from him live. My least was the DVD set of Chaos in Motion. It sounds like he trying to be a true metal voice, but he can't do it. It's just not him. He's not freakin Dave Mustaine. I found he tried to sound like him on the track 'the count of tuscany.'
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
bonestorm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 20:26
I think the age of the band is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is whether or not they're putting out good music.  Some bands can have members in their 40s and 50s still come up with ideas and something new.  Other bands of 20-somethings put out one album and then run out of inspiration even though they are quite young.  I know which I'd rather listen to.
Hibernal http://hibernal.bandcamp.com
"This is a stunning work of art" - Muzik Reviews
"A precious gem" - Dante's Prog
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 20:34

Originally posted by bonestorm bonestorm wrote:

I think the age of the band is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is whether or not they're putting out good music.

This. A thousand times this. Clap

brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 20:40
A lot of bands have made great music that had no longevity.  And when
some of them produced something after a while you almost wish they didn't.

Art is the only area in life where you can say nasty things about someone and
not feel like a scoundrel.  
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 23:28
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

I think the age of the band is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is whether or not they're putting out good music.

Yeah. Like DreamTheater. Those guys will probably last till their 60 and still put out great music. :)
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 14:20
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

What about Camel? After recovering from his serious ill, Andy Latimer is back on tour and has promised a new album soon. it's 40 years this year since the debut album was released
Agreed.  And, so glad that Latimer is back in good health...
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 15:32
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

If there are some musical ensembles to play Middle Age music, we can bet that some musicians would enjoy playing the repertoire of the 20th century's Rock music: we already have The Watch, Soft Machine Legacy, Mahavishnu Project, Zappa Plays Zappa... Then, it doesn't sound crazy to think that some names would be carried towards the next centuries and that our children's children's children will queue to get tickets for the next concert of Yes - The 4th Generation or something like that.

The Glenn Miller Orchestra are the granddaddy of this. Still going strong after reforming in 1956
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 22:38
I just worry about longevity because I feel, at a certain point, their names keep them going more than any innovation or musical genius.  Rush has kinda sounded the same for forever.  Dream Theater is probably the worst offender, though.  They haven't changed much at all in the past 20 years.  Yet, their fans still faithfully buy the music: More power to them if they like that sort of thing.  I guess stale prog is better than no prog at all.  Confused
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 23:16
I think you'll find that Rush have not sounded the same forever.
As for the fans still faithfully buying the music, that's mostly new fans buying the new music. For example, most early Pink Floyd fans who bought The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn in 1967 would have gone off the new sound of the later Pink Floyd heard on, say, Meddle. The new fans who bought that album when it was released would later mostly be replaced by another generation of new fans who bought The Wall. Later on again, The Division Bell was largely bought by another new generation of fans, many of whom thought that the band's first album was The Dark Side Of The Moon. I exaggerate, of course, but the point is that over a long period of time the people buying a band's albums are different people. There are loads of other examples of a band's sound changing over time

Edited by Stool Man - May 24 2013 at 23:16
Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 23:32
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

As for the fans still faithfully buying the music, that's mostly new fans buying the new music. For example, most early Pink Floyd fans who bought The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn in 1967 would have gone off the new sound of the later Pink Floyd heard on, say, Meddle. The new fans who bought that album when it was released would later mostly be replaced by another generation of new fans who bought The Wall. Later on again, The Division Bell was largely bought by another new generation of fans, many of whom thought that the band's first album was The Dark Side Of The Moon. I exaggerate, of course, but the point is that over a long period of time the people buying a band's albums are different people. There are loads of other examples of a band's sound changing over time

Good point.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 23:38
Originally posted by Second Life Syndrome Second Life Syndrome wrote:

Good point.  

Good bands like RUSH don't have to sound exactly the same as they did in the past. For example, geddy's voice is not as good as it was 15 years live. Neil Peart is not as fast as he was, but they still make quality music and they still sound great. My longevity, in prog rock music, vote goes to RUSH. 40 years! Wow
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 02:34

Good point.  

Good bands like RUSH don't have to sound exactly the same as they did in the past. For example, geddy's voice is not as good as it was 15 years live. Neil Peart is not as fast as he was, but they still make quality music and they still sound great. My longevity, in prog rock music, vote goes to RUSH. 40 years! Wow

me tooThumbs Up
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 08:20

Good point.  

I think they formed in 1968, so that puts them at 45 years. I bet they can reach 50. Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 11:19

Hi,

Djam Karet. 25 years ... and still going and their latest "The Trip" is as good as ever, and then some.

And they keep on representing "progressive music" a lot better than many bands mentioned here!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 11:25

Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Yeah. Like DreamTheater. Those guys will probably last till their 60 and still put out great music. :)

It has to be said that there are plenty of people who consider DT well passed their best and wished they had stopped a long time ago rather than put out mediocre album after mediocre album. Sometimes longevity isn't a good thing.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 11:27
Maybe someone here will start a "20th album" poll sometime.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 11:57
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

It has to be said that there are plenty of people who consider DT well passed their best and wished they had stopped a long time ago rather than put out mediocre album after mediocre album. Sometimes longevity isn't a good thing.

Agreed.

I do not think that DT is over. I do think that they need to "re-think" their music and their work ... and that they could use getting away from the "metal" thing, and create some really strong music. But it is really hard to see this happening, when you see one solo project and it is the worst metal out there in 3 minute songs, or just a guitar, doing the same thing it has been doing in other projects and experiments.

Makes you wonder who the visionary in that band really was ... but there is always hope that something new will come out of this, because it will look rather sad and weak at 60 ... unless the instruments are lip-sync'd ... you know what I mean! Somehow, hearing/watching Iggy doing the same thing he did 40 years ago, just is not as attractive or interesting ... and looks rather stupid!

Edited by moshkito - May 25 2013 at 12:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>