FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLongevity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 14:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Djam Karet. 25 years ... and still going and their latest "The Trip" is as good as ever, and then some.

And they keep on representing "progressive music" a lot better than many bands mentioned here!

I'm always amazed Djam Karet garner so few ratings and mentions on this site. While prog was in its late-80s hibernation, those guys flew their prog flag high and made a name for themselves in true DIY fashion. Where's the love?

And I agree with your suggestion. They seem to be in this game for life.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 00:29
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Originally posted by bonestorm bonestorm wrote:

I think the age of the band is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is whether or not they're putting out good music.

This. A thousand times this. Clap

Yeah. Like DreamTheater. Those guys will probably last till their 60 and still put out great music. :)
It has to be said that there are plenty of people who consider DT well passed their best and wished they had stopped a long time ago rather than put out mediocre album after mediocre album. Sometimes longevity isn't a good thing.

Well those people would get a piece of my mind. cause
In my mind, there is nothing mediocre about Dream Theater, especially the musical output of their last album. They are definitely on to something. I can't wait to see what comes next late this year. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 04:38

I think the age of the band is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is whether or not they're putting out good music.

Yeah. Like DreamTheater. Those guys will probably last till their 60 and still put out great music. :)
It has to be said that there are plenty of people who consider DT well passed their best and wished they had stopped a long time ago rather than put out mediocre album after mediocre album. Sometimes longevity isn't a good thing.

In my mind, there is nothing mediocre about Dream Theater, especially the musical output of their last album. They are definitely on to something. I can't wait to see what comes next late this year. :)

I think I gave the last album 1 and 1/2 listens before giving up. I'm with moshkito (Shocked) if they want to garner wider ranging respect to go with their longevity they'll need to mix things up somewhat. Sadly I can't see it happening.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 10:10
Originally posted by Floyd Steely Floyd Steely wrote:

Djam Karet. 25 years ... and still going and their latest "The Trip" is as good as ever, and then some.

And they keep on representing "progressive music" a lot better than many bands mentioned here!

I'm always amazed Djam Karet garner so few ratings and mentions on this site. While prog was in its late-80s hibernation, those guys flew their prog flag high and made a name for themselves in true DIY fashion. Where's the love?

And I agree with your suggestion. They seem to be in this game for life.

The issue, from the way I see it, is that too many of the fans here are simply top ten induced and crammed and influenced ... and when you can not look past the fingers in your hand onto the horizon, you are not going to find a whole lot ... and if you do, it's just a one shot wonder ... that the person likes!

That's not to say that we do not have intelligent people here, we obviously do, but the attention span for most, are almost always "hit" or "radio" defined, not "progressive music" defined, which tells you, once again ... that the ear is not as delicately and politely appreciative of the whole thing as those folks think they do ... !  Go listen to some of the progressive music rock stations ... 3 to 4 minute format ... with a token something every 2 or 3 hours ... but the same sounding thing otherwise!

You have to let go of the ideas, and the opinions ... in order to hear something different ... but you see it here all the time ... people asking for suggestions and ideas ... instead of having their own feel for wanting to check something out on their own.

Sometimes, it makes me feel that many folks just don't know, or have an opinion unless someone else does, so you have someone to agree with ... and mannnnn, that was soooooooo anti-progressive 40 years ago! ... you have no idea! All they have to do is listen to KC's first ... or maybe even read Childhood's End!

Edited by moshkito - May 26 2013 at 10:12
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 10:23

I think I gave the last album 1 and 1/2 listens before giving up. I'm with moshkito (Shocked) if they want to garner wider ranging respect to go with their longevity they'll need to mix things up somewhat. Sadly I can't see it happening.

The one thing that scares me silly, is how radio and hit oriented we are and sometimes we do not see the green grass on the other side, any better than we do the green grass under our own feet!

If the guitar player was a violin, he would be thought of as a master ... but because he is playing an electric guitar ... Dream Theater is a hack band for many folks ... and I find that unfair to the musicianship involved. Now if you tell me that the guitar player has no idea what I'm saying, I'm ok with it (I doubt that, btw!!!), but there are many virtuosi out there that don't give a damn about an electric guitar ... and they are not better than he is!

I learned this, btw ... 40 years ago when I saw Ian Anderson could make Jean Pierre Rampal look and sound like the buffoon that he was ... and on the next day, I got to see Andres Segovia make the next 99 guitarists (including the God!) look like idiots ... a string broke, and he still continued playing his piece for another 12 minutes before he finished ... when he did ... he politely asked ... did that sound alright to you? He got a standing ovation!

In rock music, we take the ability for granted way too much ... because of an effect, or loudness, or metal, or some other BS, we do not see another picture that has to do with "music", and not with song, or hit! And until we separate the two, I'm not sure that "progressive" will come alive like it needs to ... but a lot of "hit" bands, in "prog" will fall by wayside because of it, and the work, simply, is not developed, or deep enough to be worthy of consideration!

It's not really "elittist" like some folks love to discuss around here to defend their favorites that others might not like as much ... but it is a valuation based on music and its definition ... and ... sadly ... the vocals are NOT an instrument ... because around here, lyrics either stink, or they are more important than the music!  What's the point in singing, then? Just to get things off your chest? ... should tell you that there is not enough appreciation for "music" all around!

Edited by moshkito - May 26 2013 at 10:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 10:24

I think what we have here is a case of 'been there, done that' scenario. I really do see your point. Dream theater, to me, have really remained true to the progressive metal genre for countless number of years and have really explored along with diversifying the prog metal genre up to the teeth! I just felt their last album had some differences from their previous 2. I admit, systematic chaos and blacks clouds really don't stray away from each other. To me, those albums sound a lot a like. Like you, I was getting worried and I believe I gave black clouds a 3/5 because the difference just wasn't there. Moreover, a dramatic turn seemed to have far more versitillity to the overall sound of the album and james LaBrie sounded more melodic once again by stripping that metal crap out of his voice.

Anyway. My question to you would be how could dream theater really make an album sound totally different without straying away from from the prog metal genre itself???
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 10:43

Anyway. My question to you would be how could dream theater really make an album sound totally different without straying away from from the prog metal genre itself???

I think it has to start without "ideas" ... and a simple jam ... maybe even develop it into something bigger. Possibly give John and Jordan more space for composition. I am not sure that James LaBrie is the problem, though I tend to think that he is partly disconnected from the whole thing in one way or another, and you see that when the band plays and he goes behind the stage ... when you imagine that he could pick up an accoustic guitar and join in, or a tamborine, or something else to augment the music even more.

I don't really want to superimpose my own ideas, but I'm thinking that it needs to be much more than just lyrics for a song, and a song for some lyrics ... and until that is resolved, I am not sure that any band can get off the same stuff that they continue doing ... that still sells.

I think, you have to go inside ... or simply just let it all out ... and that is the one thing that is missing for me in this band.
www.pedrosena.com
Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 12:50

The one thing that scares me silly, is how radio and hit oriented we are and sometimes we do not see the green grass on the other side, any better than we do the green grass under our own feet!

If the guitar player was a violin, he would be thought of as a master ... but because he is playing an electric guitar ... Dream Theater is a hack band for many folks ... and I find that unfair to the musicianship involved. Now if you tell me that the guitar player has no idea what I'm saying, I'm ok with it (I doubt that, btw!!!), but there are many virtuosi out there that don't give a damn about an electric guitar ... and they are not better than he is!

I learned this, btw ... 40 years ago when I saw Ian Anderson could make Jean Pierre Rampal look and sound like the buffoon that he was ... and on the next day, I got to see Andres Segovia make the next 99 guitarists (including the God!) look like idiots ... a string broke, and he still continued playing his piece for another 12 minutes before he finished ... when he did ... he politely asked ... did that sound alright to you? He got a standing ovation!

In rock music, we take the ability for granted way too much ... because of an effect, or loudness, or metal, or some other BS, we do not see another picture that has to do with "music", and not with song, or hit! And until we separate the two, I'm not sure that "progressive" will come alive like it needs to ... but a lot of "hit" bands, in "prog" will fall by wayside because of it, and the work, simply, is not developed, or deep enough to be worthy of consideration!

It's not really "elittist" like some folks love to discuss around here to defend their favorites that others might not like as much ... but it is a valuation based on music and its definition ... and ... sadly ... the vocals are NOT an instrument ... because around here, lyrics either stink, or they are more important than the music!  What's the point in singing, then? Just to get things off your chest? ... should tell you that there is not enough appreciation for "music" all around!

I haven't listened to a radio show in years.  I think you might be assuming too much.  I don't give a rat's gonad about hits or mainstream crap.  Hence, why I dislike DT and Rush.

Edited by Second Life Syndrome - May 26 2013 at 12:51
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 13:17

I think what we have here is a case of 'been there, done that' scenario. I really do see your point. Dream theater, to me, have really remained true to the progressive metal genre for countless number of years and have really explored along with diversifying the prog metal genre up to the teeth! I just felt their last album had some differences from their previous 2. I admit, systematic chaos and blacks clouds really don't stray away from each other. To me, those albums sound a lot a like. Like you, I was getting worried and I believe I gave black clouds a 3/5 because the difference just wasn't there. Moreover, a dramatic turn seemed to have far more versitillity to the overall sound of the album and james LaBrie sounded more melodic once again by stripping that metal crap out of his voice.

I felt An Undramatic Continuation of Events (Wink) was more an attempt to return to what they were doing on Images and Words but without the quality of song writing (more formulaic now) or sense of adventure that came from pushing forward a formative genre. Progressive Metal has got much more to it than just DT and it's excessive number of clones (and I'm not counting the Exp/Post and X/Tech subs here as well) with the likes of Riverside, To-Mera, Sieges Even and Psychotic Waltz all sounding completely different from each other and showing that there's plenty of space to move and do knew things for those willing to try, of which I admit there are far too few.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 00:22

I think it has to start without "ideas" ... and a simple jam ... maybe even develop it into something bigger. Possibly give John and Jordan more space for composition. I am not sure that James LaBrie is the problem, though I tend to think that he is partly disconnected from the whole thing in one way or another, and you see that when the band plays and he goes behind the stage ... when you imagine that he could pick up an accoustic guitar and join in, or a tamborine, or something else to augment the music even more.

I don't really want to superimpose my own ideas, but I'm thinking that it needs to be much more than just lyrics for a song, and a song for some lyrics ... and until that is resolved, I am not sure that any band can get off the same stuff that they continue doing ... that still sells.

I think, you have to go inside ... or simply just let it all out ... and that is the one thing that is missing for me in this band.

James LaBrie playing an acoustic guitar or a tambourine?? Agh Pedro, your killing me!

Actually, now that I think of it, james does the tambourine live in budokan.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 00:27

I felt An Undramatic Continuation of Events (Wink) was more an attempt to return to what they were doing on Images and Words but without the quality of song writing (more formulaic now) or sense of adventure that came from pushing forward a formative genre. Progressive Metal has got much more to it than just DT and it's excessive number of clones (and I'm not counting the Exp/Post and X/Tech subs here as well) with the likes of Riverside, To-Mera, Sieges Even and Psychotic Waltz all sounding completely different from each other and showing that there's plenty of space to move and do knew things for those willing to try, of which I admit there are far too few.

Ummmm...I see. Well, I thought a dramatic turn's sound was more closely related to the AWAKE album, but anyway you're absolutely right about prog metal being more than just a DT typical sound. Not ever gonna fight ya on that one, but I respect your opinion and let's hope that dt's next album can put a On your face.
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 01:40

James LaBrie playing an acoustic guitar or a tambourine?? Agh Pedro, your killing me!

Actually, now that I think of it, james does the tambourine live in budokan.

He has actually played keyboards live at least on Octavarium (I think it was the Score dvd). He had this tiny two octave thing with the note names written on stickers on each note LOL I wonder why they didn't show too much of it on the actual dvd...
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 08:04
I want to see James Labrie play mellotron and flute on the next album Big smile
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 15:07
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Or the harp! Tongue

But how much could Dream Theater change their sound without pissing off thousands of fans? Unfortunately, they have a much bigger following in the world of heavy metal than they do in the world of prog. However, based on their last album, the next one very well could be a much different mold than Systematic Chaos or BC&SL.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 15:16
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Or the harp! Tongue

But how much could Dream Theater change their sound without pissing off thousands of fans? Unfortunately, they have a much bigger following in the world of heavy metal than they do in the world of prog. However, based on their last album, the next one very well could be a much different mold than Systematic Chaos or BC&SL.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but when I think about DT branching out, I think of Six Degrees.  So many influences, so many different sounds went into that album; stuff like "The Great Debate," "Misunderstood," and "Disappear" was so idiosyncratic and interesting.  I think they're in a good place compositionally right now, coming off what was, in my opinion, the best-composed album they've ever made.  If there was any fault with Six Degrees, it was that some parts (like the overture to side 2) were emotionally profound but lacked the compositional coherence and maturity that could have made them perfect.  If they're willing to expand their sound a bit - which I hope they are - I think they can come up with something even better than Six Degrees, something that could please both the metal and prog fans.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 15:40
Mark E Smith.  Big smile  I only mention him as I am reading his autobiog at the moment and at the beginning of his book he says that with the Fall he soon realised that what he wanted was Longeivity not (like the Pistols etc) one album and that's it.  So he set out to produce music that would last and I guess a career that would last.  It worked still going started in 1978 so thats..... uh...... lots of years.   One or two minor changes in the line up as they went along though. 

I know they're not on this site..  But I think they should be!!!  

Its a good book too
Help me I'm falling!
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 17:02
I love The Fall
rotten hound of the burnie crew
dsk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 11:49
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

I love The Fall

They have been highly recommended to me a couple of times now any tipps on what to start with? The Fall has been on my "Prog I'll have to check out"-list forever, only I kind of never really got to it...
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 12:30
The Fall would not really fall (no pun intended) into any description of 'prog' common around these parts.  They are usually bracketed in 'post punk' although some call them punk because they formed very early on in 1976.  Anyhoo, my favourites are Hex Enduction Hour and Live at the Witch Trials.  You could also try This Nation's Saving Grace which a lot of people rate very highly. 

Good Luck

Help me I'm falling!
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 16:56
did anyone mention Magma ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>