Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Residents are now on the archives.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 19:02

Great addition - to quote no less an authority than myself, if Faust had come from Louisiana this is what they'd have sounded like.

There is a RIO connection - Chris Cutler of Henry Cow was the first to write about them in the UK music press and I think Recommended Records were the first to distribute their music in the UK. He and Fred Frith also played on some of their releases, such as Commercial Album. Having caid that, classifying them is almost impossible - post punk was when they took off, but they were doing their thing several years before punk started. I was lucky enough to catch their 13th anniversary show at The Hacienda - one of the strangest and most memorable gigs I've ever seen.

I'll probably submit a review or two myself, if I get time.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 00:22
the Residents are an avantgarde band, and there is an avantgarde section in the archives. they rightfully belong there. the meaning of "progressive" would become very shallow if we couldn't include artists like the Residents, IMHO. "Eskimo" is my favorite album of them. what a great hoax!

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 01:47

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

the Residents are an avantgarde band, and there is an avantgarde section in the archives. they rightfully belong there. the meaning of "progressive" would become very shallow if we couldn't include artists like the Residents, IMHO. "Eskimo" is my favorite album of them. what a great hoax!

I have to admit the inclusion of The Residents is correct if the requiremet is having at least one 100% Prog' album, it was my mistake judging a band without listening all their albums.

Just a few minutes ago I finished listening a copy of Eskimo a friend who works still in a radio gave me, and even when I still find the Punk and/or Post Punk influences and I don't like the album at all, it's a Progressive release IMHO.

I don't change my opinion about the rest of the material I heard (Proggish with Post Punk main influence), but this album justifies their inclusion.

Iván

Retrovertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 01:57
I didn't expect a Genesis fan to really dig them anyways.  
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 02:04

Well, I'm digging, or not?

In my case is different, I worked on a radio some years ago and was exposed to various kind of music and very unknown artists who send their material (Well the label sends the material to be honest), so I like to dig sometimes.

Casually a friend who still works there is a Residents lunatic (I remember he usedto drive me crazy), so I called him after reading Baldie's post and of course sent me a copy in  a few hours.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 02:14
you'd be surprised, I like Genesis AND the Residents. my prog taste is very eclectic. my taste tends towards bands with a weirder or rougher edge than Genesis, but they certainly have their moments. and I can't forget I grew up listening to them, because my parents did. so yes, it is a feeling of nostalgia, in a way. being born at the end of the 60s, at the beginning of prog, and in SF too, as a kid of two hippies, and growing up among bead curtains, incense sticks and other sweet smokes, love-ins and lots of psychedelic and progressive rock is quite educational

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 03:31

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

you'd be surprised, I like Genesis AND the Residents. my prog taste is very eclectic. my taste tends towards bands with a weirder or rougher edge than Genesis, but they certainly have their moments. and I can't forget I grew up listening to them, because my parents did. so yes, it is a feeling of nostalgia, in a way. being born at the end of the 60s, at the beginning of prog, and in SF too, as a kid of two hippies, and growing up among bead curtains, incense sticks and other sweet smokes, love-ins and lots of psychedelic and progressive rock is quite educational

wow BaldJean likes Genesis......never saw that coming in a million years

good for you

Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 03:32
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 04:48

Originally posted by Velvetclown Velvetclown wrote:

I thought you liked Genesis as well?

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:27
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

(Proggish with Post Punk main influence)

How can they be post punk influenced if they predate punk by about a decade?!

Edited by Trouserpress
Retrovertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 13:23
Post-punk means bands who after 1977 took the raw sound of punk and mixed it with experimentation.  The fact that The Residents are one of the bands who spawned punk (The Residents' Satisfaction single predates punk and has the style) is probably why they're listed under that.  However The Residents supposedly haven't listened to any other music since the early 1970's so any influence of punk is non-existent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123