Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

In A Glass House vs. Wind & Wuthering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: In A Glass House or Wind & Wuthering?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
59 [51.30%]
56 [48.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Mustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In A Glass House vs. Wind & Wuthering
    Posted: May 24 2013 at 13:11
Random observation I made when listening to classical music. In a Glass House seems more Baroque influenced with the counterpoint and overall complexity, while W&W is probably more Romantically charged. Both are amazing, but which one do you like more?
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 13:19
W&W has been one of my absolute favorite albums ever, so I have to give it my vote.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
proggy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 13:36
Not even close...Gentle Giant is generic...Wind is a stone cold masterpiece. Beautiful playing by Hackett
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 14:30
In A Glass House.
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 14:34
In a Glass House.

I stopped listening to Genesis after TOTT.
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 14:42
Originally posted by proggy proggy wrote:

Not even close...Gentle Giant is generic...Wind is a stone cold masterpiece. Beautiful playing by Hackett
Confused
Pardon me, what makes GG generic ? No other band sounds remotely close to GG... The amount of instruments played by each member alone makes this band anything but generic, and we're not even talking about the intricate vocal arrangments, and I could go on...

While Wind and Wuthering is a good album, my vote goes to Gentle Giant's Glass House...
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 14:50
Neither is my favorite by them, but I'll go with GG, barely.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 15:07
Glass
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 15:10
Glass House is real good, but it's overrated in my eyes.
Wind and Wuthering is a masterpiece.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 15:15
WAW. No contest.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 15:30
Went with Wuthering.  I've never liked the production on Glass House, it always sounds "thin" to me where Wuthering is incredibly lush and atmospheric.  I much prefer the live version of "The Runaway/Experience" on "Playing the Fool" to the studio version.  

Besides, "Blood on the Rooftops" is one of my top 3 favourite Genesis songs.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 15:31
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

In a Glass House.

I stopped listening to Genesis after TOTT.

Why do that if W&W is a 5* album and Trick is a 2*
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 15:59
More like a 5* album and a 4.5*
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 16:08
For me, Wuthering could never be a 5* with "Your Own Special Way".  Now if they'd swapped that for "Inside and Out" it would be a different story Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 16:18
I think Your Own Special Way, although a bit cheesy, is a very beautiful song
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 16:38
It's a great song. 

Trick is a snorefest. :P
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 16:41
Originally posted by proggy proggy wrote:

This.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 17:48
In a Glass House: 5/5
Wind and Wuthering: 4.5/5

I give them a tie.
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earthmover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 18:12
Meh. I listened to Wind and Wuthering once and it was pretty meh.
On the other hand, In a Glass House is one of my Gentle Giant favorites.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainstormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 18:22
I think a lot of 70's bands were still in the "crunchy rock" sound engineering mode.  I admire GG but its kind of like VDGG, it doesn't have a "sonic vision" like even King Crimson seems to have. There is something about the way some bands just expect the notes to carry the vision, without the engineering kicking in, which in the 70's was only happening in a select few bands, perhaps those who were early adapters of all the in's and outs of new recording/processing technology.  GG and VDGG are great bands, but sound more like listening to some classical music today.  They just don't have the sweeping engineering work that a lot of prog bands have.  Even Novalis, Gong and Hawkwind I think were better engineered. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>