FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSynths vintage article 1974

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Synths vintage article 1974
    Posted: May 27 2013 at 04:42
Quite by chance I stumbled upon this article about 'low-cost synths' published in the January 1974 edition of Popular Mechanics.
I thought it may be interesting to some of you.

King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:38
Thanks for posting this! 

I love the sound of ARP equipment. I would love to own an ARP2600 but they are hard to find where I live and extremely expensive.

ARP Odysseys are expensive too but less than the 2600 so I might be able to buy one someday.

I'm also very interested in the new BOOMSTAR 4075 which is manufactured by a company called Studio Electronics, it's a modern analog synth which has a replica of the ARP2600 filter in it.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 17:53
Neat, love this kinda stuff -

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 20:04
Thanks for posting, very interesting read.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 15:42
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

Thanks for posting this! 

I love the sound of ARP equipment. I would love to own an ARP2600 but they are hard to find where I live and extremely expensive.

ARP Odysseys are expensive too but less than the 2600 so I might be able to buy one someday.

I'm also very interested in the new BOOMSTAR 4075 which is manufactured by a company called Studio Electronics, it's a modern analog synth which has a replica of the ARP2600 filter in it.

It's better to buy the Arturia software, than it is to buy the synth ... you would not be able to find anyone to fix anything that went bad in the knobs or switches! It's a headache!

I have the Jupiter 8v software from them, and it is by very far, one of the best pieces of software I have ever bought. And it is quite a bit better than the actual thing itself, as there are a myriad of things you can do with the sequencer side of the software that were not physically possible with the hardware. Same with the Arp!

Highly recommend checking out those samples.  They are insane, and crazy, and the sequencer in the Jupiter 8v can make it so dirty and nasty, as the guy on the videos says!

Edited by moshkito - June 09 2013 at 15:47
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
pitfall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 17:54
I have fixed several old Moogs and ARPs. the knobs and switches are not a problem.
Some of the IC's can be hard to source, but it's still do-able.
It's well worth the effort, because the software imitations, I find, always sound weak, gutless and 2 dimensional in comparison.
Of course, if someone has no real understanding of what the real thing is actually like, then they may be perfectly happy with a simulation of an instrument.
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 23:30
Yeah, I have a lot of hardware synths and they don't break down so often if you take good care of them.

Also, where I live (Tokyo), it's easy to get vintage synths fixed and not too expensive. I can understand that in other cities/countries it would be hard to get things fixed though.

Software definitely has a lot of advantages such as instant recall, it's much less expensive and it doesn't take up space. Also, I think software is great if you want to make really complex arrangements or automated fade ins, fade outs and modulations. But personally I love hardware and real analog. And I like to make music without using a computer. I use a Doepfer Dark Time for sequencing and play chords and melodies by hand.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 10:05
Interesting article.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 11:21
Great article.  FYI: I recently learned that Tony Banks solo synth parts in the early to mid 70's were played on an ARP Pro Soloist (improved version of the ARP Soloist mentioned in the article).
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 11:58
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Great article.  FYI: I recently learned that Tony Banks solo synth parts in the early to mid 70's were played on an ARP Pro Soloist (improved version of the ARP Soloist mentioned in the article).
Yes, the Pro-Soloist was the classic Banks solo synth, in this series of clips his gear is reviewed (link to the 1st chapter, then you can go to the next ones)

Post Reply Post Reply