Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTony Banks or Rick Wakeman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Poll Question: Who do you like better all around, group work and solo?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
58 [52.73%]
52 [47.27%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 14:17
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by NickHall NickHall wrote:

Wakeman way ahead of Banks in technical ability.

I've read that Genesis used to skip the piano intro of "Firth of Fifth" because Banks couldn't play it live. I don't know whether this is true or not, although I doubt it as the keyboard player from tribute band Los Endos has no trouble playing it.
Wakeman is technically better but doesn't always pick the best keyboard sounds.
I'm going to go for Wakeman for the glorious church organ section of "Close To The Edge" and the instrumental section of "And You And I".

I had read something similar about the intro to Firth of Fifth... but I think it had more to do with him not being able to find the right sound on his keyboards in order to play that, though I'm not really sure.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 02:32
I saw a Genesis tribute band mess up that intro a few years back. They had to stop and go again. Obviously it's very tricky but on the flipside of the coin also shows what a great composer Banks is.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 10:41
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I've read that Genesis used to skip the piano intro of "Firth of Fifth" because Banks couldn't play it live. I don't know whether this is true or not, although I doubt it as the keyboard player from tribute band Los Endos has no trouble playing it.
I'm going to go for Wakeman for the glorious church organ section of "Close To The Edge" and the instrumental section of "And You And I".

I had read something similar about the intro to Firth of Fifth... but I think it had more to do with him not being able to find the right sound on his keyboards in order to play that, though I'm not really sure.

I doubt it's because he couldn't play it because he always played the interlude anyway, which is a repetition of the intro.  Yeah, it's probably the tone or something like that. 
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 11:57
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I doubt it's because he couldn't play it because he always played the interlude anyway, which is a repetition of the intro.  Yeah, it's probably the tone or something like that. 
I also heard it was the tone.

Slightly disappointed not to hear the intro at a recent Hackett show.  And I know Roger King can play it, because I've seen it on a Hackett video.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 01:43
I really don't like comparisons between fine musicians, in the end, it's all down to personal taste, but if I must choose, I would say Rick, because of virtuoso technique.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 08:31

I seriously doubt it too---Hackett's band often skips the intro and I think like Genesis it is long and I think it was more a time saving measure in a long live concert rather than a difficult thing to play---Lamb Lies down Intro is also difficult but he always played it live---
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 08:40
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I also heard it was the tone.

Slightly disappointed not to hear the intro at a recent Hackett show.  And I know Roger King can play it, because I've seen it on a Hackett video.

They played the intro when I saw them a few weeks ago.Big smile
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 09:24
Banks!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 04:48
Wakeman. Because of the capes.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 06:04
Of course, Wakeman was an incredibly ambitious individual who created such an incredibly over-the-top work as 'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth'.  It would never have worked without the over-blown pomposity.  This is the very essence of Prog which, a) summed it all up, and b) gave it a bad name........Confused.  Rick nailed it, either way and both ways.  Too much talent can be friend or foe..................
jacek1969 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 11:20
Rick Wakeman
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
That a vegetable will respond to you
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 19:50
More folks need to discover Rick's 'Silent Nights' album - such an overlooked and underappreciated album - on the surface it's poppy, but below shows a certain mastery of blending accessibility with prog chops and subtle complexities.  It also features one of the better vocalists (Gordon Neville) to grace a Wakeman album Thumbs Up
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 22:51
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

More folks need to discover Rick's 'Silent Nights' album - such an overlooked and underappreciated album - on the surface it's poppy, but below shows a certain mastery of blending accessibility with prog chops and subtle complexities.  It also features one of the better vocalists (Gordon Neville) to grace a Wakeman album Thumbs Up

Cool Tom. Sounds really interesting. Loving keyboardist solo projects lately.

Love Micheal Pinella's solo work from symphony x. Oh and just recently purchased Clive Nolan's ALCHEMY album. Look forward to getting that one.

Actually. Come to think of it. I'd choose Clive Nolan over Wakemen and Banks. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 23:17
Banks by far. He was all about style and selective playing, something Wakeman could never do. To be quite honest, Wakeman's style is just way too over the top, at least for me anyways. Mind you, I haven't listened to these guys in such a long time, my tastes have changed, so probably my opinion has too.
Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 17:30
I enjoy both keyboardists immensely. They each have their own definitive style and have contributed greatly to progressive rock. My vote goes to Wakeman because I feel though both are musical equals, Wakeman generated a showmanship that  epitomized the grandeur and maybe over indulgence of prog. He was much more of an ambassador for prog than Banks ever was. Most people would not even recognize a picture of Banks but few prog fans or general music lovers would not recognize the man with the long blond hair and flowing cape. The image & musicality Wakeman brought was 'instrumental' (pun intended) in bringing prog to the uninitiated.
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 04:12
Again a contest of taste versus technique; though Rick can be tasteful too at times. Rick for me.
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 15:54
Rick Wakeman.  His vast solo collection, albeit patchy, contains some real gems.  Also he is a great bloke whereas Tony Banks is a bit pompous.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 19:15
Rick Wakeman is a big celebrity in the UK for non-musical things..  That's a pretty unique position among proggers. Can you think of any others?   I wonder in the non-English European countries....I think maybe someone in France is also like that that was also from prog. 

Edited by brainstormer - June 14 2013 at 19:16
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 19:38
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

Rick Wakeman is a big celebrity in the UK for non-musical things..  That's a pretty unique position among proggers. Can you think of any others?   I wonder in the non-English European countries....I think maybe someone in France is also like that that was also from prog. 

What kind of things does Rick do on TV there?
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 19:44
He's done a cooking show, stand up comedy, was part of a team called Grumpy Old Men,
I'm not sure of all of it because unfortunately haven't spent much time there.  
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>