FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSci-Fi in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 13:04
^ Dune is too sprawling for even a six-album set, that's why film & tv adaptions fall short. The more successful (and rewarding) adaptions have often been of short stories rather than full-blown novels, though I think some of Herbert's short stories (The Priests of Psi) or one of his self-contained novels could be adapted quite well to musical interpretation such as The Santaroga Barrier, or even one of the shorter series like the Consentient series (The Dosadi Experiment & The Whipping Star), for example . The problem therein is less people have read them so the stories are not as well known.

What?
Queytan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 13:12
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has further opinions on Magma's use of sci-fi, particularly to what extent Magma perform from the perspective of Kobaïans. I've always seen Magma's music as the telling of Kobaïan history, myths, and legends (hence "Mythes et Legendes" and the use of the Kobaïan language), which can sort of be seen in their subject matter - great wars and uprisings in a time of hatred (Theusz Hamtaahk), a legendary man's quest for enlightenment (Köhntarkösz), etc. Furthermore, a lot of it certainly has a feeling of religious music to it, and on a less subtle note several points in Köhntarkösz Anteria feature the word 'hallelujah' quite prominently.

In other words, I feel like a real point of interest in Magma's music isn't so much the epic tales they tell, but the image that builds of the strange, far-off culture that desires to tell these stories through this music. A little view of Kobaïan culture, interestingly constructed through music largely with lyrics we cannot possibly understand.

Anyone else get this impression?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 13:33
Originally posted by MustardSea MustardSea wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The OP commands "QUIET!!"  Pinch

What a rowdy lot!!  

However, I really appreciate your passion for the topic, AND your own bands, countries etc.!  

Which sci fi novel do any of you think would have potential for a prog composition?  I'd suggest "Ringworld"! 

A few years ago someone, somewhere here in this forum suggested a musical re-interpretation of the "Dune" series in the form of a six album spanning concept record in the style of Tangerine Dream's "Zeit" - now that's something I'd LOVE to hear! Cool

As would I!  There are many great sci-fi epics that would generate some excellent concept albums...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 13:36
Philip José Farmer's Dayworld would make a nifty concept album.
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 10:48
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 11:22
I see no one wants Shatner's books given the concept cd treatment.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 11:23
Originally posted by Knobby Knobby wrote:

I see no one wants Shatner's books given the concept cd treatment.

Maybe because he didn't write them.
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 11:28
Originally posted by Queytan Queytan wrote:

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has further opinions on Magma's use of sci-fi, particularly to what extent Magma perform from the perspective of Kobaïans. I've always seen Magma's music as the telling of Kobaïan history, myths, and legends (hence "Mythes et Legendes" and the use of the Kobaïan language), which can sort of be seen in their subject matter - great wars and uprisings in a time of hatred (Theusz Hamtaahk), a legendary man's quest for enlightenment (Köhntarkösz), etc. Furthermore, a lot of it certainly has a feeling of religious music to it, and on a less subtle note several points in Köhntarkösz Anteria feature the word 'hallelujah' quite prominently.

In other words, I feel like a real point of interest in Magma's music isn't so much the epic tales they tell, but the image that builds of the strange, far-off culture that desires to tell these stories through this music. A little view of Kobaïan culture, interestingly constructed through music largely with lyrics we cannot possibly understand.

Anyone else get this impression?

I love Magma, but relate to it purely on a musical / voice level. I know about the mythology but I just like the over-the-top nature of the music & vocals. They're such a f*ck'd up band (in a good way) that them being over-the-top is brilliant in a way that Yes (with Tales, etc) isn't. There's a sort of "serious fun" vibe to Magma's mythology and music (sort of like Sun Ra or Funkadelic) but I really don't think much about the story line when I'm listening to them; I just like the music and vocals.
jc
Queytan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 12:45
Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

I love Magma, but relate to it purely on a musical / voice level. I know about the mythology but I just like the over-the-top nature of the music & vocals. They're such a f*ck'd up band (in a good way) that them being over-the-top is brilliant in a way that Yes (with Tales, etc) isn't. There's a sort of "serious fun" vibe to Magma's mythology and music (sort of like Sun Ra or Funkadelic) but I really don't think much about the story line when I'm listening to them; I just like the music and vocals.

Yeah, I agree about the Sun-Ra and Funkadelic similarities in a way. I think it's important to remember that while we're all talking about prog and sci-fi, funk and jazz deal with sci-fi imagery as well, often predating the sci-fi prog epics but dealing less with the literary side of it. Magma seem to have a slightly more complex vision and a more serious way of projecting it. In particular I'd put the difference down to Funkadelic being truly about the funk: the characters in their mythology represent different aspects relating to funk. The Flashlight gives funk to the world, the Bop Gun is a more small scale method of quickly making something funky, Sir Nose D'voidoffunk is the unfunky antagonist, etc etc. With Magma it doesn't seem quite so, and the mythology seems like something that could potentially exist without the music there, however closely tied the two things are. It's more similar to actual mythologies, and I always get the impression there's something to be said about what it is to be a "Kobaïan" based on this. Vander definitely seems like enough of a monomaniac to have considered it on some level.

Perhaps I'm just looking into it a little too much though?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 14:06
Hmmm...we forget Wakeman's "Journey to the Center of the Earth"  Jules Vergne sure qualifies for the sci fi category! 

BTW, RIP Gary Pickford-Hopkins!  

bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 14:41

Perhaps I'm just looking into it a little too much though?

I dunno, maybe not. Even without focusing on what's being sung about (as if one could follow Kobaiin anyway), I agree with you that there is something almost religious and, certainly, apocolyptic & heavy (wars, struggles, combined with moments of sheer beauty) inherent in their music. So, maybe it does all come through even without knowing what it's supposed to be about.
jc
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 21:08
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Eloy from 1975 through to about 1983 did nothing else but sc-fi based prog. Time To Turn is my favourite but Ocean is probably their most popular album.
yeah agreed on all counts
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 21:28
how about the excellent Michael Moorcock penned "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" performed by Blue Oyster Cult on "For of Unknown Origin".  They also dabbled in horror with "Godzilla" and "Nosferatu"

Grobschnitt's "Rockpommel's Land" (maybe more fantasy?)

Alan Parsons Project "I Robot"

hey how about "Come Sail Away"by STYX?

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 22:42
^ I ROBOT for sure!

One of the best!

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 20:26
Earth & Fire - andromeda girl
Amin Bhatia - interstellar suite
Mike Batt -zero zero (Orwellian)
Tetelaestai  rare  early 80s  scifi US band
Artificial Intelligence - """"" (maybe I said this one already?)
Sturat Hamm - radio free Albemuth (Phillip K Dick)
Bevis Frond - miskatonic
Sternreiter  '82 germ
Pinhas - chronolyse (Dune)
Ramases - space hymns
12th Night - fact & fiction (big brother)
David Vorhaus - re-entry
FM - black noise, surveillance

GET DOWN ONNIT!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 16:09

I am not sure that Christian Vander is that interested in this at all. I think he knows and understands the connection to "science-fiction", or to any other literary link (Germanic Lore specially), to the point that if he has to sit and explain the wording and what he thought at the time, that the individuality and autonomy of the singing and work ... will lose its strength.

Somehow, it might be better if God is not going to be reached by anyone, and not "found" so we can go around saying that I am and you start laughing, or crying, or throwing stones!

I think it best to just let it lie, and not say anything ... and let people define/decide for themselves what it might, or might not mean ... and I personally think that is the greatest value of all this work!

I personally hope they never divulge anything! I have to tell you how many times I have laughed myself silly and off the couch by some folks attacking this music and stuff as "nazi" this or that. I seriously doubt that Christian is that interested in the political BS around his time, place and ... above all ... music! And Stella makes sure he does not deviate from it ... which is even better!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 20:19
has anyone mentioned Geoff Wayne's musical version of the war of the worlds?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 21:20
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

No, thanks!  Do you have any more information on it?  
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 11:14
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

No, thanks!  Do you have any more information on it?  

Justin Hayward sings Forever Autumn and the rest is crapTongue

ok I know some like it but for me a 'cast' that includes David Essex and some girl who was in a TV show called 'Rock Follies' does not a great album make imo
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 11:15
btw it's Jeff Wayne
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>