FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSci-Fi in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 23:27
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Uh...although I didn't look at all 11 pages of this thread, I'm guessing that at least one sci-fi prog band is missing.  My avatar is probably the only truly sci-fi concept album in prog.  (Though some of Parsons' stuff comes close.)

Not sure how many of these were mentioned, but I would also add EJ's "Rocket Man" and "I've Seen the Saucers"; The Reggie Knighton Band's "Rock and Roll Alien" and "UFO"; Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein"; and Styx's "Mr. Roboto."

Peace.

Long Live Politzania!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 06:51
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

"The Return of the Giant Hogweed" by Genesis is a nice bit of satire on B-grade sci-fi films!   I like the drama that Gabriel evokes with his vocals....
I guess strongly inspired by The Little Shop Of Horrors.

actually the song is based on a real plant. have a look at this wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracleum_mantegazzianum

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 07:47
I am surprised Amon Düül 2 have not been mentioned yet; many of their songs deal with SF-themes, like "Apocalyptic Bore", "Archie the Robot", "Mr. Kraut's Jinx", "Lost in Space", even "Syntelman's March of the Roaring Seventies".

Jack Lancaster's album "Marscape" has to be mentioned as well.

Flaming Youth had a whole album based on a Sci-Fi idea (mankind leaving earth in a gigantic spaceship named "Ark 2")

Omega had the album "Time Robber".

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 09:57
Cyril
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 22:13
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

"The Return of the Giant Hogweed" by Genesis is a nice bit of satire on B-grade sci-fi films!   I like the drama that Gabriel evokes with his vocals....

actually the song is based on a real plant. have a look at this wikipedia entry:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracleum_mantegazzianum

Yup. All true. Actually, Hogweed is a nickname I use often for many people I know. What a name. Lol
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 23:44
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

actually the song is based on a real plant. have a look at this wikipedia entry:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracleum_mantegazzianum

Yup. All true. Actually, Hogweed is a nickname I use often for many people I know. What a name. Lol

I thought Phil Collins was the primary vocalist on that song...

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 10:28
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

I had never heard that Collins sings ROTGH, I always assumed it was Gabriel....sounds just like him! 

Here's a bit of an article I found:

After a brief instrumental (subtitled "The Dance of the Giant Hogweed"), the song ends in a crashing climax where the hogweed reigns victorious over the human race. “Mighty hogweed is avenged. Human bodies soon will know our anger. Kill them with your hogweed hairs, Heracleum mantegazziani. Giant hogweed lives”
===

....sounds like sci-fi to me!  I think it was typical Gabriel tongue-in-cheek humor.  Quite a wonderful song! 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 10:53

Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

I had never heard that Collins sings ROTGH, I always assumed it was Gabriel....sounds just like him! 

Here's a bit of an article I found:

After a brief instrumental (subtitled "The Dance of the Giant Hogweed"), the song ends in a crashing climax where the hogweed reigns victorious over the human race. “Mighty hogweed is avenged. Human bodies soon will know our anger. Kill them with your hogweed hairs, Heracleum mantegazziani. Giant hogweed lives”
===

....sounds like sci-fi to me!  I think it was typical Gabriel tongue-in-cheek humor.  Quite a wonderful song! 

I've seen giant hogweeds, they're disappointingly unspectacular. Gabriel based the song on the true account of the introduction of the hogweed into Britian by Victorian plant collectors as described in the Wikipedia entry for the plant. Based upon the simullarities to The Day of the Triffids it's a fair bet that John Wyndham used the same source story - both come from Russia, both were actively cultivated for positive reasons and both have a toxic venom that can cause blindness. That Gabriel's version also results in victory for the plants it's quite likely that he had Wyndham's version in mind when he wrote it.
What?
janyolter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Spamkistani

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 07:07
Great review!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 07:12
Mostly I tend to hear the real Sci fi qualities of prog in the synthesisers. The robotic laser beam of the moog perfectly illustrates an "otherworldliness" that we have come to associate with sci fi. just listen to the soundtracks of old sci fi movies.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 09:52
Alan Parsons I ROBOT is pretty great. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 22:12
Some more based on actual stories:

The Byrds - Space Odyssey. From "The Notorious Byrd Brothers". It was directly inspired by the Arthur C. Clarke short "The Sentinel" which was the basis for "2001". And it even came out several months in advance of the movie. How cool is that?

Pearls Before Swine - The Rocket Man, which, unlike that *other* Rocket Man song, was inspired by the Ray Bradbury short. It's on "The Use of Ashes", and on the next album "City of Gold", they dipped in the Bradbury bag again with "The Man".

So did Barclay James Harvest with their classic Medicine Man, inspired by the Mr. Dark character in Something Wicked This Way Comes.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 21:03
^Great contributions, thanks!!  

ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 04:37
Check out the set-list for the "Prog Rock & Sci-Fi" series I did for my radio show:

Part I

Part II

Part III
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 10:25
I'm sure this was mentioned  but I'm too tired to read the whole thread right now.....I just saw a review of Julians Treatment on the home page so ......
Savarin is also a sci-fi writer though I have not read any of his novels which is odd for me since I'm an avid sci-fi fan but never came across any of his novels.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 17:22
Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

Check out the set-list for the "Prog Rock & Sci-Fi" series I did for my radio show:

Part I

Part II

Part III

Thank you, that is a fine contribution to our thread!  I forgot "Machine Messiah" by Yes!  Doh! Ouch
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 23:21
While not necessarily prog, Roy Wood's “Boulders” contains a song called Miss Clarke and the Computer in which he sings from the POV of the latter in a nasal, inflectionless tone about his growing emotional attachment to his female handler. It’s pretty hilarious now because of the way-outdated views on computer technology. And it’s even all-acoustic to boot. (pun intended)

Another one inspired by an actual story: Hawkwind - Damnation Alley, from the Roger Zelazny novel.

Edited by AreYouHuman - September 04 2013 at 20:25
mawgojzeta View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 23:06
Originally posted by MustardSea MustardSea wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I remember a novel by John Varley (or John Shirley maybe) in which something was happening at a concert of Blue Oyster Cult. Sci-Fi Quoting Prog(related) instead of vice versa.

I don't remember the title of that novel, it was about a "living city" and was published around the end of the 80s.

wasn't that a trilogy set on a kind of living, hollow world around Saturn or Titan? I think the first one was even called "Titan" if I'm not wrong but it's been a while since I've read it so I could be completely wrong LOL

The trilogy is composed of Titan, Wizard, and Demon.  Love those books.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 03:00
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Another one inspired by an actual story: Hawkwind - Damnation Alley, from the Roger Zelazny novel.

If the movie ever gets the remake it deserves, they ought to use Hawkwind's song AND make the central character a tool the way Zelazny wrote him. I've no doubt John Carpenter's Snake Plissken was inspired by Hell Tanner.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 11:58
Hi,

In Search of Ancient Gods. The album had Bill Bruford and a couple of folks from Brand X, I think! Very nice album, too!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>