Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg-Does The Recording Year Matter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 11:02
Im getting more and more into everything sweet, not the healthiest development.
But actually I just love lakrids in every shape and form. 
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 11:13
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I'm sure Stairway is from before '74Ermm

1970 wasn't it? (From pure memory)

Or '71 maybe.Smile

For the record: Stairway to Heaven was released 8 November, 1971.

The recording year can give the listener the context in which the recording was made. What may sound dull or derivative today could sound very original and fresh years ago. IOW, was it a trend setter or follower?
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 14:05
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Maybe if it's a historic album, and it isn't made in 29, because 29 simply isn't 63 - like 88 isn't 72, and if it's on a tuesday, because then I only listen to 79s and 81s perhaps 36. It's all about the numbers. 68.

Thanks ... yep!

I like random-ness in my listening habits!

Btw, numbers upside down also works great!  

Embarrassed
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 14:07
Originally posted by SquonkHunter SquonkHunter wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I'm sure Stairway is from before '74Ermm

1970 wasn't it? (From pure memory)

Or '71 maybe.Smile

For the record: Stairway to Heaven was released 8 November, 1971.

The recording year can give the listener the context in which the recording was made. What may sound dull or derivative today could sound very original and fresh years ago. IOW, was it a trend setter or follower?

What a bunch of kooks we all are!   LOL     Wink    Embarrassed    Tongue

I put in the incorrect date on purpose! It was just like a puddle that you all were going to step in ... and for my next trick I'm going to get a big tub, fill it up with ____________ and then put money in it, and play "Something is in the Air" out loud ... for all the folks here!

This way, at least, we can have a laugh and get the point .... go get that money you fool!

Edited by moshkito - May 29 2013 at 14:08
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
admireArt View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 20:56
Those who ignore the past; will repeat it and call it their own. Time is an "un-erraseable" issue!
admireArt View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 20:59
Those who ignore the past; later will call it their own!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 16:55
I'm totally into the year and think it's part of the fun of having a prog collection.  When I discovered the PA "TOP list custom links and filter" search function I had a blast.  I get totally excited when I find a 70's prog masterpiece I never heard before (like Pentacle, Mona Lisa, Bacamarte, Kyrie Eleison, etc)...discovering buried treasure is a big part of the fun Thumbs Up
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 12:15
^ very true. I think when you discover a band that you really like and their music is from a certain generation like say the 80's or 90's, I kind of get excited to hear a highly regarded album if it's from the 80's or early 90's recording period.
Certain years and generations carry a certain style of sound.

Just an example. A while back I discovered PSYCHOTIC WALTZ's: A SOCIAL GRACE and I read up on the album before buying it and also saw the recording year was from 1988-1989.
I was immediately very excited. :) the 80's are a special time for me. Actually, still to this day 80's prog remains ageless with me. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 14:09
I am very suspect about the modern bands/modern sound.
First thing I want to know when it comes to a new band: is it some new inbred metalprog melodic dungus that is feeding off THE IMMEDIATE LAST GENERATION  of AOR/aggressive guitar/stupid simple in-your-face drumming OR...is it the rare new band that actually knows jazz chords and something beyond workstation-style keys?

Do they know something about actual composition /counterpoint/ syncopation/vocal harmonies like most of the 70s bands did? Or are they just sucking off the flaccid penis of the last watered-down prog fad.

If you are copying the copier, what product you expect to get?
Things become thinner & thinner, angrier & angrier.....shock becomes important.

There are good new bands there, but one has to dig much harder - experience more shoite.
Not sure  I'm willing to do that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 16:22
Originally posted by Knobby Knobby wrote:

First thing I want to know when it comes to a new band: is it some new inbred metalprog melodic dungus that is feeding off THE IMMEDIATE LAST GENERATION  of AOR/aggressive guitar/stupid simple in-your-face drumming OR...is it the rare new band that actually knows jazz chords and something beyond workstation-style keys?

Do they know something about actual composition /counterpoint/ syncopation/vocal harmonies like most of the 70s bands did? Or are they just sucking off the flaccid penis of the last watered-down prog fad.

^this.  It's very unusual for me to take the time to check out today's new prog bands...like the vast majority of "new" music, I don't find it original or interesting.  I just broke down my 1000+ album collection by decade and it confirms this...

60's albums   6%
70's albums 39%
80's albums 23%
90's albums 23%
00's albums   8%
10's albums   1%
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 23:18
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

^this.  It's very unusual for me to take the time to check out today's new prog bands...like the vast majority of "new" music, I don't find it original or interesting.  I just broke down my 1000+ album collection by decade and it confirms this...

60's albums   6%
70's albums 39%
80's albums 23%
90's albums 23%
00's albums   8%
10's albums   1%
That's a shame because there have been some very fine albums released in the 2010s (and the 2000s).
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 07:20
Yep - and, wot with being a prog masterman, I knows 95% of 'em.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 07:58
I am almost exclusively 70s in my prog focus and interest (with some late 60s and early 80s in the mix)
       Not to say that there isn't good music from more recent times, it just doesn't really interest me.
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 08:07
It SHOULD interest you.
You are missing out on a lot.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 12:18
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

60's albums   6%
70's albums 39%
80's albums 23%
90's albums 23%
00's albums   8%
10's albums   1%
That's a shame because there have been some very fine albums released in the 2010s (and the 2000s).

I'm sure you're right, but for me it's a numbers game.  I have limited resources and time to explore new bands so I focus on the decades that give me the highest probability of success Wink

prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 13:13
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I actually care more about the year if its the seventies than after 1979. I often get muddled after that but I have a feel for the seventies possibly because I grew up through it and want to place an album in context. Its also fascinating that so many great albums were recorded in 1973 and the genre has been in decline ever since but refuses to go awayWink
Couldn't agree more!  As they say about wine vintages:  "1973 was a very good year..."
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 20:01
I am very biased towards the 80's as only metal managed to sound good in that era recording-wise.
I used to select new albums to check out based on the release year hoping the sound quality would be better in the late 70's but that was foolish.

But certainly, fishing according to decade is something I'm pretty sure most of us did or do ^^
The Infinite Progability Drive, feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 15:03
Originally posted by freyacat freyacat wrote:

1.  The year helps me evaluate how innovative the music is compared to what was being made at the time, and what had gone before.  Is this the first time someone ever composed a 22-minute rock song, or did others do it first?  Is that melody being played like that because only monophonic synthesizers are available at that time?

Now, let's look at this ... the year that Beethoven wrote the 5th, or Mahler wrote his 3rd! So, you're telling me that on the year X, a 22 minute rock song is important, but on year Y, a 22 minute piece of music is not! And today, it would be rock/jazz, and not likely to be "classic" music as it is known.

It is not the first time a rock song was written that it was that long, and even engineers like Tom Dowd make some notes and thoughts about that. It is, almost exclusively, that the commercial side of records and then tapes and then CD's were almost all about selling to the public ... it had nothing to do with music, and a lot of music lost its flow because of it, and even the likes of Miles Davis used to get upset when told to cut it down.

FACT: Fillmore West, was known for its jams ... and such. Show me, how many pieces are on record and appreciated as such! Almost NONE! ... but the majority of the bands are known and still appreciated ... for the "hits" and small cuts!

Now, maybe you can see the appreciation for "music", instead of the controls for it!

There has ALWAYS been long cuts ... but because most of our listening habits and mind is so de-sensitized to smaller segments in music due to "radio" and then "tv" and then "hits", our appreciation for music has taken a serious hit in its implementation and definition.

2.  The year helps me better place the instrumentation and melodic vocabulary.  Actually, based on keyboard sounds alone, I can usually guess the year of a recording.

Ok. But it more tells about the time and place. We can all mention the romantic period of music, the baroque and the such ... and you can discuss the same thing about instrumentation and melodic vocabulary in those two periods of music.

In your case, knowing the keyboard sound (or the synthesizer that created it!) helps you define this even more ... but that's like saying that the Mozart Symphonies are all the same ... nope!  Nope ... there are just as many subtleties there .... that might even give away the same trickery that allows you to say ... that's an ARP Odyseey, that's a Prophet 5, that's a CS3.

3.  The year places the album in Socio-Politcal context.  Vietnam, Watergate, The Iranian Revolution, Star Wars, Reagan, and the advent of the personal computer all had wide-reaching cultural effects which shaped music.  When Yes composes "The Gates of Delerium," an epic about war, what experiences lay behind the music?

Ohhh ... my ... so no other piece of music, has ever indicated that to you? ... you have not heard a lot of 20th century music, then ... because it's full of music that are EPIC's about war, and its experiences, and give you an idea of what lays behind the music ... which of course, our spoiled minds in the media days, sometimes don't even believe they were true! Too much rock music ... is distorting your studying and history of music and any of the arts!

History has always been there ... and sometimes the music is there and sometimes not ... the difference is ... you see it or you don't! And you sjut showed it here, see?

Your post is actually very good, but I wanted you to see that there is more to time ... than just music! Literature, Paintings, Murals, Churches ... you name it ... and they were the epics of the time ... done in the way that was known then ... and this is the hard parallel for us to see.

We know today ... and does it have to stop there?

We conjecture on yesterday and rely on "history" to learn from it ... and then find some things here and there ... that also tell you the same thing as the history books. Ex: You only need to see Picasso's Guernica to know everything you need to know about the Spanish Civil War ... and you don't think there was music at that time? ... THERE WAS ...  A LOT OF IT TOO ... and some of it is an hour long and then some! ... but you don't know that, or associate that, or think that it is possible, see?

It always was. It is!

Edited by moshkito - July 03 2013 at 15:26
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2013 at 15:15
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I am almost exclusively 70s in my prog focus and interest (with some late 60s and early 80s in the mix)
       Not to say that there isn't good music from more recent times, it just doesn't really interest me.

I'm gonna have to lock you up with Djam Karet ... if you take the 1st 5 albums side by side with King Crimson, let's say ... there is no comparison ... oh well ... someday!
www.pedrosena.com
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2013 at 20:15
Originally posted by admireArt admireArt wrote:

Those who ignore the past; will repeat it and call it their own. Time is an "un-erraseable" issue!
I'm starting to believe that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>