Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg-Does The Recording Year Matter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 12:58
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

"1971 is only of interest when talking about Stairway to Heaven if someone claims that Rolf Harris's 1993 version was the first, or when someone (someone else hopefully) makes the claim that Uriah Heep's 'Come Away Melinda' was an original Heep song."

You mean, like people who think Guns'n'Roses wrote Knockin' on Heaven's Door....LOL.

Better version of this is ZELIG ... a German band, and it was the soundtrack of the German film of the same name that was ripped up badly later! And if you did not see the original, you missed the hilarious bit in the end!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 13:18
^ Wow...I always thought this was the original version of "In the Court of the Crimson King"...

Sean_96 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 13:54
Whilst the year it was made will not affect the purchase of an album for me, there is some examples where the date an album is released can be detrimental to the band.

The most notable example I can think of is the band 'National Health'. Their albums were released in 1977, '78 and '81. They are a Canterbury Scene band with a very similar sound to 'Hatfield and the North', who are at least in the prog rock community quite well known. But, I don't hear so much about them on 'Prog Archives' which is quite a shame.

If they released their albums around '71-'75, I think in the prog rock community, they would be more well known.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 14:59
Originally posted by Sean_96 Sean_96 wrote:

The most notable example I can think of is the band 'National Health'. Their albums were released in 1977, '78 and '81. They are a Canterbury Scene band with a very similar sound to 'Hatfield and the North', who are at least in the prog rock community quite well known. But, I don't hear so much about them on 'Prog Archives' which is quite a shame.

If they released their albums around '71-'75, I think in the prog rock community, they would be more well known.

A few years ago I went into Tower Records and picked up the double CD "National Health Complete".  This was before slimline jewel cases so it was a pretty big box.  The cashier (named Beau) was clearly the most knowledgeable in the store and I'm pretty sure outside he ran his own record collectors business and almost always had a comment for any prog CD that I bought.  He looked at this one and started laughing.  I asked him what was so funny.  He said something like, "A National Health complete?  They only have like 2 albums anyway".  

Seem's PA isn't the only place this band doesn't get any respect LOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 21:55
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Sean_96 Sean_96 wrote:

A few years ago I went into Tower Records and picked up the double CD "National Health Complete".  This was before slimline jewel cases so it was a pretty big box.  The cashier (named Beau) was clearly the most knowledgeable in the store and I'm pretty sure outside he ran his own record collectors business and almost always had a comment for any prog CD that I bought.  He looked at this one and started laughing.  I asked him what was so funny.  He said something like, "A National Health complete?  They only have like 2 albums anyway".  

Seem's PA isn't the only place this band doesn't get any respect LOL
I have the same cd box......and there is another cd called Missing Pieces that has some nice tracks.
Great band btw.
Cool
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345