FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIOEarth & singer Linda Odinsen part company

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOEarth & singer Linda Odinsen part company
    Posted: May 29 2013 at 11:12
Linda Odinsen was announced as the band's singer at the beginning of May 2013: http://www.progrockmag.com/news/ioearth-confirm-new-singer/, but although a few members mentioned this in posts within other threads back then, I didn't find a dedicated thread for the announcement anywhere on the site, and I felt that it most definitely warranted one. Embarrassed

From the progrockmag.com website (link above):

IOEarth have confirmed Linda Odinsen as their new singer, after they parted ways with Claire Malin.

Odinsen, 25, stepped in at the last moment after Malin’s health issues threatened the band’s appearance on Yes’ Cruise To The Edge event.

They say in a statement: “Linda jumped into the breach and saved the day when IOEarth thought their Cruise To The Edge concert would have to be cancelled. She performed on the biggest stage in progressive rock with only a 4 hour rehearsal.

“Her dedication, devotion and guts at such at young age is amazing – to step up to this huge commitment at short notice deserves huge respect. IOEarth are so proud to announce she will be the band’s new vocalist from now.”

Odinsen says: “I’m proud to be joining such a talented and professional band. Not only are they great musicians, they are wonderful people too. The support from the band and fans all around the world has been unreal.”

Co-founder Dave Cureton comments: “Linda is truly a great find. Her voice and presence fit IOEarth perfectly – she adds a whole new dynamic to the band.

“She flew from Norway to Birmingham, had a four-hour rehearsal, then flew to the USA, performing at the biggest gig of the band’s career. It’s just unbelievable. Thank God our co-manager Wendy Vissers-Hagenbeek made me call her.

“The past few weeks have been very stressful for us and the uncertainty as been unbearable, but we know we have made the right decision in bringing Linda into the band.”

Odinsen will make her first official appearance at the Celebr8.2 festival on May 11-12. Cureton says: “We can’t wait to get on stage. I’d like to thank all our wonderful fans for sticking with us through this difficult time. Rest assured IOEarth are firing on all cylinders.”

Full concert at 'Cruise To The Edge' March 27th, 2013:

Big smile

Edit: She has now announced her departure from the band, so the wording of the first paragraph has been slightly altered, the topic title amended, and a dead video has been removed.

Edited by yam yam - November 08 2016 at 19:56
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 13:35
Well, IoEarth are one of the foremost of modern prog bands, IMO. Just see my reviews to get a flavour of how highly I rate them. 

Claire was a big part of that for me, so I earnestly hope that Linda can step up to the plate. I will watch the videos now to get a better idea, so thanks for posting David.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 13:51
  I am also a huge fan, IO Earth's two discs are modern prog masterpieces! When I am approached by prog-ignorant music fans, I always hand them these 2 discs and they return completely stunned! I have little doubt that they will be the next big thing in prog........Welcome Linda 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 15:25
Apparently this lady needed just a four hour rehersal before the 'Cruise To The Edge' gig, and if so then I think the future of the band is pretty secure with her out front. This takes nothing whatsoever away from Claire, who was also a superb front lady, so here are three vids that feature her, as a tribute to her wonderful contribution to a really excellent band:

'Harmonix' Live @ Summers End 2009:

'Live Your Life Pt1 & Pt2' @ The Peel 02.11.12

'Come With Me' @ The Peel July 2010

Lots more tubes from IOEarth on their official YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/IOEarth/videos

Cool
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 20:56
It's interesting, at the IOEarth "Storytellers" session on CTTE there was mention that Linda was still in school (grad school, I can only assume!) and didn't have any particular plans for a future in music.  Guess she changed her mind on that front!  (I think there was a comment "school can wait!")

For all who continue to be amazed at her performance after only four hours of rehearsals, it must be said that she did "sit in" for Claire at some shows a few years ago when Claire was pregnant.  Still, amazing.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2016 at 10:04
But sadly the journey is now over... Cry

IO Earth Announcement 7 November 2016:

Hi Everybody,
Just a brief note to let you all know that, as of this week, IO Earth and Linda Odinsen have decided to part ways. It has been a difficult decision, but necessary in the end due to the difficulties of the band being based in the UK, and Linda living in Norway.
‘It has been a pleasure working with you Linda and we wish you all the best. Thank you for giving your wonderful voice to the New World album. You'll always be part of the IO Earth Family’.

Linda Odinsen:
‘At the end of last year I decided to make a big change in my life, I needed to be home in Norway. Sadly the distance makes it difficult for me to continue my cooperation with IO Earth. I want to thank the fans for the love and support you've shown me and the band throughout the years, I can't express how much this has meant to me. I will always look back at my time in IO Earth with pride and feel thankful to have been a part of the journey. I wish the band success in the future’.

For our fans: 
Please note IO Earth tour dates will not be affected and are still going ahead as planned! Thank you for your love and support! See you on the road!

Peace, everyone at IO Earth x

She will indeed be a hard act to follow.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2016 at 22:21
Unhappy
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2016 at 01:42
Sad news indeed. I really liked their last album (which was listed #8 in my top 10 of last year).
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2016 at 12:13
That's the way it is, musicians come and musicians go ... anyhow, the thread title is somewhat misleading now ...

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2016 at 19:50
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

... anyhow, the thread title is somewhat misleading now ...

Indeed it was, but now I've made it a bit more accurate... Embarrassed
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 09:11
IO Earth's new vocalist is Wolverhampton (UK) singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Rosanna Lefevre: More details here: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109658

Edited by yam yam - December 12 2016 at 09:52
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 10:32
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

IO Earth's new vocalist is Wolverhampton (UK) singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Rosanna Lefevre: More details here: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109658

This is a great band, and she clearly has a good set of pipes. IO Earth now clearly require a period of stability to take them to the next level.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 16:30
Big fan of IO Earth.  My only regret is that I haven't seen them live.   I'm sure they will continue to wow me.
 Post Reply Post Reply