Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs your Prog Collection too big?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 18:35
Oh yeah, I forgot about the ham...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 18:43
Not big enough !!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 20:33
I have quite a selection of music, and it took me about 3 months to convert it to MP3. I bought an external hard drive (2T) just for music, so I have plenty space for more music.

As many mentioned before, over the years I have become more picky of what music I buy. If it makes it to my hard drive, it's because I like it, and most likely I'll keep the CD as well. If not, it'll be a nice present for somebody who might enjoy it.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 22:13
I have around 1000 albums and still have a major compulsion to buy music, around 10 to 15 a month. There's so many gaps in my collection of old stuff and so much good new stuff I just love exploring. Space is an issue since I moved to a smaller place but there's always the garage.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 23:31
I would have space issues if my collection blew up to the proportions of some of the veterans on this website.  At the moment it is not.  But while I am always interested in new music, I am content to get through barely a few new albums a year (and mostly, NEW new rather than new for me).   Yes, life is too short and since it is not possible for me to listen to all the music in the world in a lifetime, I prioritize and enjoy my heart's content of what albums I do have.  I am in  my 20s and I have lots of time to 'catch up'   Enjoying the experience is more important to me than 'collecting'.
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 01:53
Music edited on a computer has zero interest to me.  I like to feel the music in a more human way.. original.. not homogenized with preconceived plugins, digital filters and quantitizing of rhythm tracks.  The compressed digital formats are even worse to my ears.  CD's are horrible.. MP3's even worse. 

My collection is 100% vinyl.  I listen to every record I own from time to time.  My search for music is much more focused upon finding better copies or better pressings of the great stuff the real prog legends left behind for us to discover and enjoy. 

The golden age was very prolific, and there is a lifetime of stuff to listen too if you know what to look for and where to find it.

Most of the new prog I hear is either just rehashing of the old stuff, ideas and concepts.. or over produced computer manipulated garbage that dies on my ears faster than I can switch to a different recording.

I don't want to have to question the honesty of a recording.  Pre digital age I don't have too. 
Most all the modern vinyl releases have been simply dumped from Pro Tools onto the vinyl format.  That makes about as much sense as serving a frozen pizza at a 5 star restaurant. 

I prefer the age of quality over the age of convenience.  GPS to me stands for too lazy to learn celestial navigation and topography. 

Generation lazy followed by generation head down.
Floyd Steely View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 02:00
My CD collection numbers over 4200 titles, but only about 400 or so are prog/post-rock. I need more! So any of you out there looking to part with your CDs, you just give ol' Floyd a shout!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 02:25
I have reduced my purchasing pace a lot, for several reasons, but I still buy a few selected albums a year, maybe between 15 to 30.
The first reason is time to listen, I like to re-listen to most of the albums I have from time to time and I have already so many that I hardly find time, many don't get spinned for years.
Another reason is that with getting older I seem to get less receptive to digesting new music with the enthusiasm I had when I was younger, I may like a recently discovered album a lot but rarely it will become a favourite competing with the classics I got to love when I was young.
My new purchases are either new releases by a few selected bands (e.g. Rush), unknown albums which PA ratings and reviews suggest that should fit my taste, and now and then some missing gap in my collection, some old album I know but I do not own yet.
For some strange reason I do not enjoy computer music in the same way as if I have the physical album, it's like the music will not sink in in the same way, so space is becoming a consideration as well.
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 02:59
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

hardly find time, many don't get spinned for years.
Another reason is that with getting older I seem to get less receptive to digesting new music with the enthusiasm I had when I was younger, I may like a recently discovered album a lot but rarely it will become a favourite competing with the classics I got to love when I was young.

Yeah, I guess it has to do with age! 10 years ago when someone would recommend to me a crazy mathrock album with growl vocals and tempo changes every two seconds, I would have been immediately shown interest and bought it. Nowadays I feel: Please leave me in peace so I can enjoy listening to Hold your Fire for the 50th time   

Edited by King Manuel - June 02 2013 at 02:59
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 08:02
Excellent post there ,Surrealist.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 08:54

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 11:12
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Isn't there meat in a carbon ara?Tongue
Nice macaw!

Is he/she yours?
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 11:24
Hi,

I don't have a collection of Prog or Progressive music ... I just have a collection of excellent composers of music, and I don't care if anyone in this groups calls it prog or merde!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 11:53
Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

Music edited on a computer has zero interest to me.  I like to feel the music in a more human way.. original.. not homogenized with preconceived plugins, digital filters and quantitizing of rhythm tracks.  The compressed digital formats are even worse to my ears.  CD's are horrible.. MP3's even worse. 

My collection is 100% vinyl.  I listen to every record I own from time to time.  My search for music is much more focused upon finding better copies or better pressings of the great stuff the real prog legends left behind for us to discover and enjoy. 

I prefer the age of quality over the age of convenience.  GPS to me stands for too lazy to learn celestial navigation and topography. 

I assume that your tongue is at least a little in your cheek? Do you travel by horse & carriage? Do you read by candlelight? Convenient inventions are just that, convenient, there's no need to take the hard road on a point of some backward looking principal.

I totally understand the love of vinyl and would probably be with you if I had the money & time to support that habit. But you don't have an ipod or walkman or any form of transportable music? That essentially mean you only listen to music where you have a turntable, that cuts out a huge chunk of the time I listen to music, in  the car, in the office, out of the house.

The convenience way outweighs the sound quality at least to me, but hell each to their own.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - June 02 2013 at 11:54
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 12:32

The golden age was very prolific, and there is a lifetime of stuff to listen too if you know what to look for and where to find it.

Most of the new prog I hear is either just rehashing of the old stuff, ideas and concepts.. or over produced computer manipulated garbage that dies on my ears faster than I can switch to a different recording.

I don't want to have to question the honesty of a recording.  Pre digital age I don't have too. 
Most all the modern vinyl releases have been simply dumped from Pro Tools onto the vinyl format.  That makes about as much sense as serving a frozen pizza at a 5 star restaurant. 

We're not going to restart the 'analog vs digital' discussion here, but of course I agree that listening to music on a good hi-fi system makes a big (not to say huge) difference compared to listening to mp3's on an iPod or on earbuds connected to your computer. Expensive things are expensive for something, just as a professional photo camera can take better pictures than a throwaway one, or professional skis can give better control than cheap entry-level ones, that's the way everything goes. CD on a decent hi-fi system is good for me though, either with decent speakers or decent headphones.

I would say that if music is one of your passions you should indeed spend some resources in order to get a reasonable quality playback system, within each one's economical possibilities of course. I do not have a massive audiophile system with 300 euro speaker cables but I have always had decent hi-fi systems and decent headphones for when listening on loudspeakers is annoying to others. As a rough guideline I would say that if you are a music fan you should be ready to spend at least 1.5 times your monthly net salary in your audio system (of course I understand that a computer or an iPad can do more than just playing music, but I think that they do not yet compare to dedicated hi-fi systems for that purpose).
Convenience for listening while on the road is something altogether different, that's like saying 'in studio I use a Moog Modular but for live touring I can live with a sample, the convenience wins on the quality difference'. Convenience is a reasonable argument but it does not substitute quality.

I know what you mean, but one could argue that getting things automatically done for us frees capacity of our minds to endeavour in other (hopefully higher) subjects. You might say that cultivating vegetables and domesticating animals killed our ability to hunt and to search for eatable plants, primitive humans were surely much better at wild survival than us, but we have developed other skills. The same with calculating machines having reduced our ability for mind-calculating. So maybe future generations will not be very good at superficial orientation because of GPS but hopefully they will compensate by better ability at other subjects.

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 13:00
This is a great topic!  I tend to be quite compulsive and obsessive about music; what I listen to, how I listen to it, what I own, what format, etc.  I remember in the 80s it was a toss up between cassettes and vinyl.  Then in the 90s it was cassettes or CDs.  Now its vinyl, CD or digital.  It's nuts.  I'm actually at a loss as to what the best format is.  I tried doing vinyl last month and gave up.  The impetus was the fact that lots of new prog and remasters are so loud and ear fatigue has gotten to be a problem.  The other thing was how to decide what to get on vinyl and what to get on CD or download. 

One thing I don't care for is the streaming services.  At first thought, it seems awesome to have all the music in the world at my finger tips.  In reality, it's quite overwhelming.  I don't know what to listen to!  i tried going digital a few years ago, but even that was not working.  I like artwork and liner notes.  My hope against hope idea is lossless, super dynamic downloads that come with full album artwork.  That would be the best of both worlds and negate the need for the CD.  

I feel I'm kind of done discovering something new.  I've had stints with mostly all the genres, not including nu-country and hip-hop.  My tastes continue to be eclectic, but I've settled on a few main artists as favorites and some second tier artists that I pay attention to.  I'm no longer a completist.  Just because a favorite band puts out an album doesn't mean I must buy it and force myself to like it, if i don't initially.  For example, I really like the Flower Kings, but I find some of their stuff unlistenable.  Ironically, this is stuff that most fans find to be classic.  

I too am developing a criteria for buying CDs.  If it's good and I can see myself loving most of the album, I'll get it.  If I'm just not feeling it, I'll just download the tunes I like.  That being said, I find myself listening to stuff that's easy to listen to.  Mostly stuff from the 70s and some new jazz.  Of course, I love some new prog; Dream Theater, Spock's Beard.  But that stuff is just so damn loud!  The majority of new prog just sounds the same and suffers from questionable 80s production relics and bad mastering.  I definitely enjoy listing to 70s Yes, PF and Rush much more than the newer stuff.  I wish I could get into new stuff, but it's just not happening and I don't have the cash or need for CDs sitting on my shelf that I only listen to once every 5 years.  

Peace
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 13:04
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I would have space issues if my collection blew up to the proportions of some of the veterans on this website.  At the moment it is not.  But while I am always interested in new music, I am content to get through barely a few new albums a year (and mostly, NEW new rather than new for me).   Yes, life is too short and since it is not possible for me to listen to all the music in the world in a lifetime, I prioritize and enjoy my heart's content of what albums I do have.  I am in  my 20s and I have lots of time to 'catch up'   Enjoying the experience is more important to me than 'collecting'.

Totally agree!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 13:08

Hey man, innovation means better!!    Tongue

Great post.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 14:36
Since most 14 year-olds on Last.fm have scrobbled over 10,000 artists, I will have to say no. 
samdelrussi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 14:46
In my case and I suspect with many other people as well, there is a certain aspect of it which loosely falls into the "addiction" category. If I am passionate about something, in this case Progressive Music, then I am compelled to explore it to the maximum degree possible and as with any art form or any other worthwhile human endeavor the wealth of great music yet to come is most likely endless so although I too feel the heat from years of collecting and a music library approaching 5000 albums, I just can't stop. What if I miss something? Digital music has proven to be a lifesaver as far as space concerns go and although I was once an avid audiophile who can no longer afford the luxury, I have found that with a good set of external speakers and an equalizer properly adjusted one can more or less come up with sound that's pretty decent though far from perfection. I'd much rather be able to say that I've seen a halfway decent reproduction of the Mona Lisa than to never have seen it at all. I do however see the other side of the "Quality" argument as well.
Sam Del Russi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>