Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs your Prog Collection too big?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 15:04
Originally posted by Knobby Knobby wrote:

Excellent post there ,Surrealist.

Too bad he has never seen anything about music to see that he is confusing the computer with the bathtub of the mind!

The computer is just another tool to clean things up ... of course, if you have to use 10 different soaps and 5 shampoos, I think that some of us might think .... that it is stupid!

Of course, if I use 10 microphones, one for my nose, one for my mouth, one for my armpits, one for my butt, one for my _______ and so forth, we might thing we're overdoing it, too, and then ... the whole thread about a "prog collection" really takes a wash! But at least we know that, hey?

Btw ... 1600 LP's/1600 CD's and over 1000 hrs of Cassettes, now all MP3'd, and some of these were from 1974 on!

Edited by moshkito - June 03 2013 at 15:07
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 15:34
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

Short answer is yes, too much music.  The dilemma lies in the good and bad in your collection. Not enough time to listen to the good stuff and too much self flogging over the bad stuff that you spent good money on and rarely listen to.If someone could coordinate a huge prog swap meet where all us proggers could get together in one place with all our music and we could trade, then it's problem solved. Someone get on that. Let's shoot for Vegas in the fall.

Self flaggation over stud we can't get into! So true!

Couldn't we start an online swap meet? Maybe a subforum here?
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 15:53
I try VINYL swaps on various prog forums.
No one ever sincerely responds. No one interested.

"That's an interesting trade offer list." is about all I get.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 16:00
My collection is probably too big, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to continue to add to it and enjoying the effort of trying to give all the old stuff a listen on occasion while trying to also get to know the new stuff. 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 16:22
I am on a current "buy anything with Kristian Schultze" bent. Those kind of buying urges are still fun.

Edited by presdoug - June 03 2013 at 16:51
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 03:04
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Originally posted by samdelrussi samdelrussi wrote:

In my case and I suspect with many other people as well, there is a certain aspect of it which loosely falls into the "addiction" category. If I am passionate about something, in this case Progressive Music, then I am compelled to explore it to the maximum degree possible and as with any art form or any other worthwhile human endeavor the wealth of great music yet to come is most likely endless so although I too feel the heat from years of collecting and a music library approaching 5000 albums, I just can't stop. What if I miss something? Digital music has proven to be a lifesaver as far as space concerns go and although I was once an avid audiophile who can no longer afford the luxury, I have found that with a good set of external speakers and an equalizer properly adjusted one can more or less come up with sound that's pretty decent though far from perfection. I'd much rather be able to say that I've seen a halfway decent reproduction of the Mona Lisa than to never have seen it at all. I do however see the other side of the "Quality" argument as well.

the problem with addiction is that one is always trying to recapture that first, ultimate high.  unfortunately, those moments are few and far between.  what i'd give to hear Close to the Edge for the first time again.Big smile

Yes, I can understand! I once had a good meditation, I stood up and watched a while a my record collection and suddenly though; this is madness. How much can a man want all for himself?

Somehow I feel like a lot of collectors are living by the illusion that they are somehow responsible for what they collect. It gives them a feeling of importance. This is however an artificial feeling, and letting go of this buying- and listeningfrenzy gave me a great feeling.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 04:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Too bad he has never seen anything about music to see that he is confusing the computer with the bathtub of the mind!

The computer is just another tool to clean things up ... of course, if you have to use 10 different soaps and 5 shampoos, I think that some of us might think .... that it is stupid!

Of course, if I use 10 microphones, one for my nose, one for my mouth, one for my armpits, one for my butt, one for my _______ and so forth, we might thing we're overdoing it, too, and then ... the whole thread about a "prog collection" really takes a wash! But at least we know that, hey?

Btw ... 1600 LP's/1600 CD's and over 1000 hrs of Cassettes, now all MP3'd, and some of these were from 1974 on!

That's fantastic!

No idea what it means, but a very enjoyable read. Wonderful imagery. One minute we're in the bath with a large collection of soaps and shampoos. Then we're sticking microphones in every orifice..

Incredible.

Edited by Blacksword - June 04 2013 at 04:46
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 07:35
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Somehow I feel like a lot of collectors are living by the illusion that they are somehow responsible for what they collect. It gives them a feeling of importance. .

I AM important.
I am a Prog Masterman.

A vasty collection deludes the owner into thinking he will live much longer than the average man.

This can only be a proper, healthy misconception - just think of the power of positive thinking.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 10:05

Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Originally posted by samdelrussi samdelrussi wrote:

In my case and I suspect with many other people as well, there is a certain aspect of it which loosely falls into the "addiction" category. If I am passionate about something, in this case Progressive Music, then I am compelled to explore it to the maximum degree possible and as with any art form or any other worthwhile human endeavor the wealth of great music yet to come is most likely endless so although I too feel the heat from years of collecting and a music library approaching 5000 albums, I just can't stop. What if I miss something? Digital music has proven to be a lifesaver as far as space concerns go and although I was once an avid audiophile who can no longer afford the luxury, I have found that with a good set of external speakers and an equalizer properly adjusted one can more or less come up with sound that's pretty decent though far from perfection. I'd much rather be able to say that I've seen a halfway decent reproduction of the Mona Lisa than to never have seen it at all. I do however see the other side of the "Quality" argument as well.

the problem with addiction is that one is always trying to recapture that first, ultimate high.  unfortunately, those moments are few and far between.  what i'd give to hear Close to the Edge for the first time again.Big smile

Yes, I can understand! I once had a good meditation, I stood up and watched a while a my record collection and suddenly though; this is madness. How much can a man want all for himself?

Somehow I feel like a lot of collectors are living by the illusion that they are somehow responsible for what they collect. It gives them a feeling of importance. This is however an artificial feeling, and letting go of this buying- and listeningfrenzy gave me a great feeling.

Wise words.  I'm in the middle of moving and feel compelled to sell a bunch of CDs that I Know I will never get into.  Alas, it's hard to let go, for some reason.  I think that someday I will get into these CDs.  If it hasn't happened yet, then it probably won't.  Oh Well.  All things are impermanent.   Approve  That to me is a liberating thought.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 10:34
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

That's fantastic!

No idea what it means, but a very enjoyable read. Wonderful imagery. One minute we're in the bath with a large collection of soaps and shampoos. Then we're sticking microphones in every orifice..

Incredible.
The Bathtub of the Mind - that's a prog concept album if I ever heard one.

I have no idea what it means either, or why he has a microphone up his butt. LOL
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 10:37
Collecting Prog on LP back in the 70's and going overboard with cd's for years has put a bad taste in my mouth. I made bad choices. If you're a newcomer..the wise (obvious), procedure is to research a Prog band. Sample as much as you can, find out which founding members of Prog bands departed  and observe a change in the band's writing style. Attempt to decide what time period of the band you like before purchasing a entire back catalog recommended by a majority of hardcore fans. Besides...unless we are talking about Frank Zappa...you will become jaded over a short period of time with a Prog band that has 10 releases because you bought them all in one day. Foolish and very moronic of me to buy so much and appreciate so little.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 12:21
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

That's fantastic! No idea what it means, but a very enjoyable read. Wonderful imagery. One minute we're in the bath with a large collection of soaps and shampoos. Then we're sticking microphones in every orifice.. Incredible.

The Bathtub of the Mind - that's a prog concept album if I ever heard one.

I have no idea what it means either, or why he has a microphone up his butt. LOL

I ca see the Storm album cover now; a woman in a bath tub on a building site, as black clouds billow over head.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 12:29
I can see the Storm album cover now; a woman in a bath tub on a building site, as black clouds billow over head.

NICE ... you do Stormm (and me!) proud!

Actually I did that at work ...we were selling telephone real hard, and I had the idea of a cartoon with a phone receiver on your left ear, another one on the right, one receiver on the left nostril, another on the right one, one in your mouth ... and the boss said ... ohh we have one more to go ... bend over!

It's where the idea came from for me.

The idea was ... that the computer digitizing or "editing" (which was his term) ... was wrong ... and that's like telling you that if you used a soap that was 50 years old, you could not clean yourself, or that if the situation was reversed you would not ever hear the old stuff again!

Come to think of it ... maybe that's where the history of music went ... all washed away by bad editing and computers ... with music by Vangelis and Roy's last line, OF COURSE! How could I forget! Ohhhh please ... we have to call is SCI-FI, too!

Edited by moshkito - June 04 2013 at 12:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 12:31
"Bathtub of the Mind" 
That is cool.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 12:33
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

"Bathtub of the Mind" 
That is cool.

Am I getting too cynical or weird for everyone?

The expression was a natural sentence for me! I think I'm becoming a mix of Burroughs and the Magic Theater! Or is that way yyyyyy too proggy for here?

Edited by moshkito - June 04 2013 at 12:33
www.pedrosena.com
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 13:18

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

"Bathtub of the Mind" 
That is cool.

Am I getting too cynical or weird for everyone?

The expression was a natural sentence for me! I think I'm becoming a mix of Burroughs and the Magic Theater! Or is that way yyyyyy too proggy for here?
Hey, I said I liked it!  Please relax. Cool

Edited by HolyMoly - June 04 2013 at 13:19
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
ScorchedFirth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 14:34
I sold almost all of my CDs when I ran out of money a couple of years ago Cry

I still have all the MP3 files though, and listen mostly on my computer anyway. Plus I kept the really important ones. I will never part with my Fish-Era Marillion albums, for example.
breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 17:43
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I have most of what i want already, and have become very picky and selective about what i will actually purchase in the future. And i find i spend more time on listening to my favorites (for instance, Triumvirat, Passport, Historical Bruckner) with some things unfortunately getting ignored. I guess now when i think of adding something new to my collection, i have to have a really strong reason to want it to go thru with it. Being super picky can have advantages, i guess. I pretty well have just the right amount of selection, so i don't need much more. Not many more will get through my picky, new additions process.

I agree on a ton of what you said here. I think being 'picky' represents a person who knows and understands their 'sound' very well and that is a huge advantage. You most likely don't make the mistake of buying something you completely don't like; thus, wasting your money. We all gravitate towards a certain sound we really enjoy that gives us goosebump city and some of us have a core of bands that we gravitate towards as well. All in all, I'm like you where I am picky and I have high standards as a listener because ultimately I know what I like and it sounds to me you do as well.
Now sometimes we take a 'risk' here and there by buying something from a band that we don't know much about, but I gotta tell ya 9/10 I end up liking it cause I at least know what kind of sound that band produces or if it's similar to some of my all time favs. This is very interesting and I'd have to say overall that my prog collection is well oiled and organized machine cause everything gets a spin now and then, but my cd stack is massive. It takes time to go through it all, but I get around to everything cause i average at least 4 albums a day. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 17:54
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

My collection is probably too big, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to continue to add to it and enjoying the effort of trying to give all the old stuff a listen on occasion while trying to also get to know the new stuff. 

Same for me.....I have plenty of lp's and cd's (can't possibly play them all..) but there are always new things that one likes.....but these days I hold it down to just those I really like from the samples I hear.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 17:56

Somehow I feel like a lot of collectors are living by the illusion that they are somehow responsible for what they collect. It gives them a feeling of importance. .

I AM important.
I am a Prog Masterman.

A vasty collection deludes the owner into thinking he will live much longer than the average man.

This can only be a proper, healthy misconception - just think of the power of positive thinking.

Just curious Knobby......what's in that can you are drinking from ?

Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - June 04 2013 at 17:57
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>