Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs your Prog Collection too big?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 12:09

I keep the collection in boxes.

Box #1...British Blues Boom era. This box contains everything under the sun except Alexis Corner. Keef Heartly Band, The Yardbirds, John Mayall, Fleetwood Mac, Blodwyn Pig, Taste, Juicy Lucy, and lots of solo releases and off shoot bands. It's a very detailed collection and I have some rarities that "Lord Saklas" charges a hundred dollars for on Amazon.

Box#2....All original Blues masters starting with Robert Johnson , covering some of the delta style and many Chicago Blues releases.

Bo#3...Frank Zappa

Box4.....Jazz....Swing, Progressive, and Jazz/Fusion

Box#5...Classical and many recordings by 20th century avant-garde/experimental composers.

Box#6...Prog....Mostly underground European Prog and a few popular Prog bands from the 70's.

Box#7....Space Rock/Krautrock, Electronic,

Box#8...The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Rolling Stones and The Kinks..so it's basically many British Invasion type bands extending from 64' to 1970..(if they lasted) and a few American bands from the early 60's.

Box#9..Hard Rock and Psychedelic.

Box #10....Folk....Fairport Convention, Sandy Denny, Steeleye Span, Pentangle, Strawbs, John Renbourne, John Faey and many obscure releases of traditional Irish Folk.

Each box contains about a hundred cd's.

javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 07:38
Great topic!  I have hit a plateau where I am less interested in finding new bands.  I have such a huge collection of bands that I follow, that I find it hard just keeping up with their new releases.

I buy both CDs and Music Downloads, probably 50/50 at the moment.  There was a time when I was buying mostly downloads, but the increase in price and the increase in encoding blemishes has turned me off a bit.  I do not need the CD, but would like the best sound available.  If CD Baby or Bandcamp has the FLAC version, that is my first choice.  I store my CDs in jumbo case logic books, and I put the paperwork in ziplock bags.  I keep the unique packaging CDs in original format, but this has really shrunk my collection into a smaller space.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 07:45
I like to think of it as right sized.  It is getting hard to add new stuff these days though.  There were monetary restraints for a few years and they still haven't gone away completely.  I've trickled down to about 10 new additions a year.  My peak year was 2004 when I added 131 new CDs, mostly prog.  I have shelf room to go though. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 07:54
My shelf-space is too small.
What?
JellySucker View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 06:19
Sometimes i thought i have too many collections i don't know whether i should choose to expand more or not Unhappy
I print dank quality M E M E stickers ° ͜ʖ ͡ -
last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jellypanini
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ProgRockTime

menawati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 13:16
Years ago I would buy stuff that I thought was merely ok but now I'm much more choosy. Maybe I'm too old and jaded but I don't get excited by new prog music that often any more and tend to buy a lot more stuff outside the genre than I used to.
Then I hear something like that new Major Parkinson album and get all enthusiastic about prog again.
They flutter behind you your possible pasts,
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 15:14
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Yes, the problem is not with my collection, it is with my wife complaining the sprawl is overtaking the house. She'll have to move. LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Chimaera View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 16:21
It would be if I had any money.

Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 16:35
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Yes, the problem is not with my collection, it is with my wife complaining the sprawl is overtaking the house. She'll have to move. LOL
Now thats funny! After i became single those complaints are no longer a problemSmile

Edited by Kentucky_Hawkwindage - February 23 2014 at 16:36
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 16:41
Yes, I need to throw a bunch of in to the back creek to make room for modern pop music. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 09:39
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Yes, I need to throw a bunch of in to the back creek to make room for modern pop music. LOL
You've mentioned in the past ..many rarities that you own. I recall seeing a picture of a tall cabinet loaded with cd's. I'm almost certain you did post it once. But again..a lot of titles you sometimes mention are difficult to obtain and you must have an impressive collection.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 16:53
Originally posted by Kentucky_Hawkwindage Kentucky_Hawkwindage wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Now thats funny! After i became single those complaints are no longer a problemSmile

Absolutely! At this point anyone I settle down with will have to accept the collection. It's a package deal. Cool
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 17:19
My CD collection is too big. My prog collection not that much so though it's still larger than it should be, considering how many albums I have that I have listened to only twice. 
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 01:01
Used to hunt everything down. Now I find it is best to research first. First there is the quality factor. There is the old pure analogue versus pure digital argument. What is better 24 bit hi hi res audio or the vinyl equivalent? This stuff was also compressed but in a different way to digital compression (they had to squeeze stuff onto a record) rather than just ensure sonic consistency. There's either well done, or not so much... it all comes down to the master tape (for old remasters).

Anyway many classical labels embrace digital easily, SACDs are very popular; no problem there apparently. Perhaps we need to adjust our listening styles... rather than make mistakes that will cost mega bucks. I've a few records usually because there is no CD or DVD so needs must.

The quantity factor.  When you get King Crimson selling their bootlegs (they still doing that? I gave up a while back) and everyone else doing so, and all the unofficial bootlegs, the multiple versions of everything... I gave up even more. I like my collection and occasionally check out something but frankly I get the feeling I have heard it all over the years. I enjoy a lot of other music than prog rock (romantic and modern classical and bebop and cool jazz as well as other rock).

But now... it has to be something that compels me that I know will continue to do so. The deluge of music and multiple formats and versions is diluting the idea - the cash grab that is prevalent in the music biz kind of turns me off. The fun is going out...

The days of beer crates full of records stacked around walls floor to ceiling (or CDs on shelves occupying flats) are over. Well, nearly. I should invest in a new (ortofon) player that plays everything so it can all sit on hard drives.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 01:16
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Used to hunt everything down. Now I find it is best to research first. First there is the quality factor. There is the old pure analogue versus pure digital argument. What is better 24 bit hi hi res audio or the vinyl equivalent? This stuff was also compressed but in a different way to digital compression (they had to squeeze stuff onto a record) rather than just ensure sonic consistency. There's either well done, or not so much... it all comes down to the master tape (for old remasters).

Anyway many classical labels embrace digital easily, SACDs are very popular; no problem there apparently. Perhaps we need to adjust our listening styles... rather than make mistakes that will cost mega bucks. I've a few records usually because there is no CD or DVD so needs must.

The quantity factor.  When you get King Crimson selling their bootlegs (they still doing that? I gave up a while back) and everyone else doing so, and all the unofficial bootlegs, the multiple versions of everything... I gave up even more. I like my collection and occasionally check out something but frankly I get the feeling I have heard it all over the years. I enjoy a lot of other music than prog rock (romantic and modern classical and bebop and cool jazz as well as other rock).

But now... it has to be something that compels me that I know will continue to do so. The deluge of music and multiple formats and versions is diluting the idea - the cash grab that is prevalent in the music biz kind of turns me off. The fun is going out...

The days of beer crates full of records stacked around walls floor to ceiling (or CDs on shelves occupying flats) are over. Well, nearly. I should invest in a new (ortofon) player that plays everything so it can all sit on hard drives.
Clap
What?
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 17:51
I think the common theme here is that according to us, we don't have too many albums and never could, but according to our family members we have way too much, no matter what the actual size of the collection. LOL Personally I have an obsession with acquiring music (CDs), but money comes in the way. Luckily I will be graduating soon and then hopefully working, so I'll have more money to buy music with (but less time to listen to them... Unhappy) But no, there can never be too much.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 11:52
Yes. No. I mean yes. Or is that no? 
OK, I'm confused.

My collection only fills up only part of my RAID array, which fits into its case just fine, so perhaps it is too small.
Then again, the RAID array cannot fit into the computer to which it is connected. So does that make it too big?
Or since the computer and RAID work well, perhaps the collection is exactly the right size.

I'm confused. Size just isn't what it used to be.   Dead

What was the topic of this thread?
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 01:15
I'm on the brink of running out of real estate. I think if I tried to move all my CDs and audio equipment from one place to another, the Canadian government Would slap a 'land transfer tax' on me.
I need to make a trip to Ikea and let those Sweeds help me out. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 05:43

When I consider it, my collection is not nearly as big as it was when I held onto the same music in multiple formats. I had LP's in the 60's & 70's (lost them all in a flood in my home over 20 years ago), cassette format through the late 70's and 80's (sold them off years ago) and cd's in the late 80's through present.

But, even now I own multiple versions of the same music always buying what I love when there is a new remaster or added bonus takes. I mean, I own Close to the Edge in Remastered Rhino Records Mini LP Format, Audio Fidelity Gold, Japanese HDII Mini LP and Atlantic Records Remastered versions. Or Santana's Caravanserai in MFSL Gold, SHM Mini LP, Sony Remastered and Analog version. Or Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow in Japanese Mini LP, Columbia Gold Picture Disc, Remastered US version. The list goes on and on. I won't even mention The Allman Brothers Live at The Fillmore East versions or ELP's Brain Salad versions. I may just have a problem.

Deafmoon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789