Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs your Prog Collection too big?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is your Prog Collection too big?
    Posted: June 01 2013 at 13:07
When I discovered Prog I went through a phase where I kept on  buying, buying, and buying, only sometimes curtailed by financial constrains. In the meantime my purchasing has slowed down tremendously (despite my purchasing power having increaesed), despite a lot of bands and albums being out there that have not yet found their way into my collection.. I kind of feel I have enough music now in my collection. I have actually so much good stuff that I feel a bit sad that I dont have enough time to listen to many of the great albums regularly. According to my itunes, it would take me 52 days of non stop listening to get through all of my albums.

I now made a concious decission to stop buying music. The only exception are some of my favourite bands who are still atcive. So when Rush, Spock´s Beard, Phideaux, Transatlantic, Galahad, IQ, and some more bring out something new, I buy it. But I actually don´t want to discover new artists anymore.

Any simmilar sentimenst out there? How do you feel about your collections? Have they reached a point of saturation in terms of quantity?

Edited by King Manuel - June 01 2013 at 13:38
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 13:25
You are a kindred spirit although I put the brakes on partially because of space considerations partly because of finances.  You might say I have developed a Fear Of Music.  At least new discoveries with exceptions of course.  Best to discover new artists without too many albums.  The past year I have discovered The Samuel Jackson Five, Stereokimono, Nadav Remez, and The Tea Club.  I've got a bunch more artists than you do that are on my must get when new list.  I make it a point that if I'm going to have something in my collection then I'm going to listen to it sooner or later.  To that end I do various kinds of cycling through the titles.  I think my last cycle took about three years.  Right now I am on a travel back in time cycle and doing new music and/or releases from 2001.  I also used to give the new stuff heavy rotation for about a month, but now that I am collecting less I don't worry about that as much.  I have a twenty or so title flipper that I keep in the music room.  The rest of the collection is stashed in the library room at the opposite end of the house.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 13:55
Prog Mastermen needs must have formidable collections at their back.
Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 14:38
same here man, however recently I've made the decision to get rid of all my CDs and just buy vinyl from now on, and re-buy what I have on cd on vinyl
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 14:39
Too big? Never!  As the missus once said, "You can never have too many books or too much music."  That was before she really knew me and discovered just how much music there is out there.  At the moment, I am in a similar situation to Slartibartfast - I am running out of room, something the missus keeps reminding me of.  Too big for my living situation, yes.  But for my thirst for good music, no, not ever.  While I am open to new music, I do not seek it so avidly as I used to, which is ironic because I listen frequently to new releases on  Progstreaming, which is what I am doing right now.  Lots of good RPI on that site.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 14:41
Originally posted by Prog_Bassist Prog_Bassist wrote:

same here man, however recently I've made the decision to get rid of all my CDs and just buy vinyl from now on, and re-buy what I have on cd on vinyl
I find this very interesting since for decades collectors, including myself to a small extent, were doing just the opposite.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 15:12
Absolutely not.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
10mb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 15:20
My collection has become quite large over the years (since I started in the mid 60s). I have over 500 old vinyl albums and no idea how many cds (close to a thousand). I switched to electronic files a few years ago due to storage issues. I have 650GB and 1 TB external drives for storage, so the 400GB of music I have now is no problem. Between my books and music I ran out of room to store the physical media. I know some of you will criticize about sound quality, but my ears are now so old it makes little difference. It's also much easier to access.
So I guess my answer would be no. My collection will never be too big. There's just too much good music being created and I don't want to limit one of my true passions- life is too short.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 15:41
Originally posted by 10mb 10mb wrote:

life is too short.

...to ever listen to all of it.Wink
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 15:50
My mp3 discography collection: 1.1157 bands.
But I listen to the album at my computer a few times, if I like it, I buy it (if I find and when I have money). Yeah, I think I will never stop buying albums...
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 15:59

Originally posted by King Manuel King Manuel wrote:

I actually don´t want to discover new artists anymore.

Any simmilar sentimenst out there?

No. Never. The more I discover, the more my tastes involve and the more broad a basis of inspiration I have for my own writing.

To stop expanding your horizons is to stagnate, both artistically and in any other domain of life. I will never stop searching for music that could potentially be better to me than that which I've already heard. That's the whole reason for me spending so much time on PA in the first place and exactly what brought me here.

I never thought my tastes would change the way they did after listening to so much stuff I never would have found if not for this site, and now I can't imagine my life without these artists. I had never heard of Opeth, Discipline, or Riverside and possible never would have. Why not keep looking? I have no reservation having my favorites change further. I like change.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 16:41
I have most of what i want already, and have become very picky and selective about what i will actually purchase in the future. And i find i spend more time on listening to my favorites (for instance, Triumvirat, Passport, Historical Bruckner) with some things unfortunately getting ignored. I guess now when i think of adding something new to my collection, i have to have a really strong reason to want it to go thru with it. Being super picky can have advantages, i guess. I pretty well have just the right amount of selection, so i don't need much more. Not many more will get through my picky, new additions process.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 17:07
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Absolutely not.

What he said. 
If I have to, I'll throw away the cutlery for more storage room.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 17:23
I have to keep re-thinking my CD organization/storage to allow for its growth.  It's a labor of love, so I don't mind.  My goal is to have something akin to a library, not just a collection.  Within reasonable financial limits, of course.  But I've been collecting for over 30 years, and I've never NOT been into music, so I don't see it stopping.
And I'm always on the lookout for new groups I missed - both brand new artists and old obscurities, bands fitting a certain mood I'm in.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 01 2013 at 17:25
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 17:29
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I have most of what i want already, and have become very picky and selective about what i will actually purchase in the future. And i find i spend more time on listening to my favorites (for instance, Triumvirat, Passport, Historical Bruckner) with some things unfortunately getting ignored. I guess now when i think of adding something new to my collection, i have to have a really strong reason to want it to go thru with it. Being super picky can have advantages, i guess. I pretty well have just the right amount of selection, so i don't need much more. Not many more will get through my picky, new additions process.
I'm not being totally candid, here. I find i can't go without buying music, yes, i am more picky, but i find i always find something to buy anyway.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 17:54
My Prog collection? No.
My records collection, if looking at my tiny flat, that I must share with my brother? Yes.

Frankly, if I had the budget AND the available space, there are some Italian Progressive records I would buy right now (not to talk about some missing masterpieces such as nearly all albums by Genesis, Jethro Tull or ELP!)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 17:54
^^LOL
I know exactly what you mean - even when I'm broke I buy music.

Edited by Guldbamsen - June 01 2013 at 17:54
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 18:08
My collection of RPI obliged me to remove meat for two years. That was very hard for the spaghetti bolognaise Sick
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 18:21
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

My collection of RPI obliged me to remove meat for two years. That was very hard for the spaghetti bolognaise Sick

Well, cook them a la carbonara! Clown
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 18:24
Isn't there meat in a carbon ara?Tongue

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>