Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 07:06
Heres some I like

masterblaster81 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 23:12
Anybody familiar with this poster? I found it second hand framed like that. Pretty cool. Not super familiar with Roger Dean. Maybe someone can help me out Confused

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 04:31
QUOTE=masterblaster81]Anybody familiar with this poster? I found it second hand framed like that. Pretty cool. Not super familiar with Roger Dean. Maybe someone can help me out Confused

[/QUOTE]
You can see it in the first page of this thread, according to my info it's called Morning Dragon. Nice one.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 13:28
An absolutely great thread!  Thanks Gerard for sharing these.  The one below is used on London Symphony Orchestra does Pink Floyd: Us and Them which I really enjoy and have not heard it in a while and now am queing it up for the drive home!  Here is the link about this album if curious.

King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 08:05
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

the London Symphony Orchestra does Pink Floyd: Us and Them which I really enjoy...

Jaz Coleman from the UK post-punk band Killing Joke did all the orchestrations on that Pink Floyd symphonic album.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 08:50
Yeah! i remember this thread - I love all that art of Deans and he is not going to ban the thread after all it seems. thanks Roger!
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 15:20
Roger Dean is a fantastic artist, really like the paintings.
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
JWexler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 18:38
Truly amazing. I've always found progressive rock album art to be very appealing. Sometimes i'll grab a record just based on the artwork, whether I know the artist or not.. thanks for these shares! so cool
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 19:53
It's too bad that Dean is as egotistical as he is with his artwork - art should be enjoyed by the masses, and his rampant obsession with "owning" every little thing even related to his art (e.g. suing James Cameron because Avatar had floating islands) is really detrimental to the beautiful atmospheres he creates with his art. And those print prices... $9.6k for a print of TFTO? Good god...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 23:07
Originally posted by masterblaster81 masterblaster81 wrote:

Anybody familiar with this poster? I found it second hand framed like that. Pretty cool. Not super familiar with Roger Dean. Maybe someone can help me out Confused

This lovely design adorns a dbl YES live album I own (bootleg ). Main reason I bought the bloody thing - it sounds like sh*t and doesn't deviate much from the 'Yessongs' set. Great cover though.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 12:40
Hi,

I love the artist's work ... but I have to tell you that I liked the music in MANY MANY MANY of these albums that came with this art.

Both RD and ST (Hipgnosis) were very good at giving us an idea what the music was about, and Hipgnosis was a veritable "editorial" for almost ALL of their album covers. RD's was more pictorial, but in many ways, it told us about that band's work just as much!

Weird that we get stuck on the picture, and the band is nothing! Or vice versa, of course.

I have been a Hipgnosis listener, since about 1971 or so. I started on the "progressive" thing by following all the artists that had their covers, and some were weird and I didn't get it then, like the meat market cover for the Edgar Broughton Band, but it is quite valuable today, when you take a look at the meat/soldiers thrown at so many wars, something that went over my head then! Even after knowing/listening to KC's first albums!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 15:53
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

RD's was more pictorial, but in many ways, it told us about that band's work just as much!

Great cover art draws you in. It's safe to assume Dean's paintings gained Yes many fans who otherwise might have passed right over them. It's not like Yes is one of the best-named bands.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 02:32
I have to admit that I don't like several albums which were presented in RD covers. Sure, visually stunning artworks like his are very attention-grabbing, but you can never judge a book by its cover.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 11:52
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I have to admit that I don't like several albums which were presented in RD covers. Sure, visually stunning artworks like his are very attention-grabbing, but you can never judge a book by its cover.

Hipgnosis had a lot more covers that seemingly did not help explain the music, but they still had a nice touch to it. But it always had a "comment".

For me:
Quatermass -- it may look pre-historic, even now, but man, is that ever a great album! AND cover! One of the first albums I bought because of that cover. It was awesome!

Capability Brown -- Voice. Still one of my favorite albums of all time and that cover and inside opposite satire is excellent. And the album is just as good!

Edgar Broughton Band -- Meat Cover album (I think that is EBB named album). I never understood this cover until I heard their anti-VietNam song. I kept thinking this had a connection to the famous Beatles cover that was never used, and perhaps a satire on it, but it was much more serious that that.

10CC -- Sheet Music. Awesome cover pulling the sheet into the mirror.

Caravan -- Cunning Stunts. We can not state here the reverse title that is funny as heck, on this one, but that cover is nuts and a lot of fun to look at!

Flash -- First album. Guess why I got it. Still have that picture in my wall. And still think that the model was none other than Sherry that posts here. Regardless, the comparison of the two is still a valid description for that album. Her time and efforts are 2nd to none. The picture itself, might be considered a bit sexist, but in the end, I find it artistic, unless we want to call the music exploiting the whole thing, which I do not believe is the case. I find the music on par with the attraction in that album.

And then there are other covers that are ... different. Of all the YES covers, the only one that I really love and have the poster in my wall is Tales From Topographic Oceans. I liked Close to the Edge, but that art work was not as nice for me inside my head as the one from TFTO was, which was more intelligent and meaningful for me.

Of the other RD covers, the ones that never "matched" for me, were the ones for Budgie. I never made a connection to the music itself.

(Updated later)
Osibisa, believe it or not I have not heard that I am aware of.

Babe Ruth -- First Base. Still love that album and I enjoyed seeing them at the Whiskey a Go Go with Iggy and the Stooges. It was this album that got me to go get the 1st Frank Zappa album, though I had heard his stuff before. Chunga's Revenge!

Btw, when you look at Everquest, and World of Warcraft, they ripped Roger Dean left and right. I can only hope that he got a nickel out of it. And jerk Cameron ripped him off even more!

Edited by moshkito - January 05 2014 at 15:24
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 14:39

Something tells me Osibisa and Babe Ruth are on your list.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 19:21
Roger Dean thead continues... any new books out on his artwork?
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 11:48
Absolutely loved his work since I saw "Demons and Wizards" on c-cassette forty-four years ago.

"Relayer" as an album cover is the worst. Dull and gray like its contents. Perfect.

"Tales from Topographic Oceans" is his finest album cover. Colourful and mysterious like its contents. Perfection.

I have always admired "Demons and Wizards" and "The Magicianīs Birthday". Fantastic like their contents. 

Roger Dean truly is a genius.
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
Blank Reg View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2016 at 13:15
A bit of trivia for anybody that is still watching this thread. The Roger Dean artwork that adorns the Yessongs album was actually originally painted for Dark Side Of The Moon until Pink Floyd decided to stay with Hipgnosis. The rest they say is history.
I am a man of few words... all of them sarcastic!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2016 at 13:57
Saw the "Demons and Wizards" painting from that Uriah Heep(?) album at an auction here in L.A. back in the '90s (along with the Relayer painting), and it was stunning. No real secret that the wizard's wings were actual butterfly wings glued to the canvas.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 20:37
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Something tells me Osibisa and Babe Ruth are on your list.
I love the BABE RUTH, I love OSIBISA debut album, but not W)oyaya, great cover, didn't get the music much.
Also I dig the Clear Blue Sky work.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>