Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Where will your music collection go after you die?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere will your music collection go after you die?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 17:01
This has caused me a lot of worry.

As one who was never going to have children, and also being the only child of only children so having no known living relatives, it's not just my prog collection but my house, parrots, car, hi-fi and a very valuable collection of rare stamps that could be going to the Treasury if I'm not careful, which is why I made a will because they'd only squander it.

The stamps are going to a charity to help care for my parrots (assuming I die first), the car to a good friend who loves TVRs (unless I crash it first) and the house to a housing association - no problems there.

But my music collection (and my ex-partner's which I inherited when he passed away) amounts to over 2000 vinyls (about 60% prog) and a 100 or so CDs and I'd hate to see them all thrown away. I've left them to my local prog society so they can take any they want and sell the rest on fleabay for charity.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 17:01
I'll be buried with it, so I can use it in the afterlife.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 17:13
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

The stamps are going to a charity to help care for my parrots (assuming I die first), the car to a good friend who loves TVRs (unless I crash it first) and the house to a housing association - no problems there.

If your friend is unavailable, I promise to take good care of your TVR too! Man you know about cars!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 17:23
I will have my music collection donated to a library. Some surviving relative or friend can work out the details.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 17:30
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

If your friend is unavailable, I promise to take good care of your TVR too! Man you know about cars!

You'd be surprised how little I know! But I do love TVRs.

If you've ever seen that terrible John Travolta film Swordfish, the actual TVR Tuscan (W998 AFR) used in it resides in your country - near Brussels. I've met the owner (Pascal) and the car actually has been on my drive. The loudest car I've ever heard, by far - so loud that when I was following it, I couldn't even hear my own engine.

Watch out (or perhaps listen out) for it!

Sadly mine's just a Chimaera 4.5 - nothing flash. Own at least one TVR before you die.

Edited by Hercules - June 14 2013 at 17:47
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 18:16

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

You'd be surprised how little I know! But I do love TVRs.

If you've ever seen that terrible John Travolta film Swordfish, the actual TVR Tuscan (W998 AFR) used in it resides in your country - near Brussels. I've met the owner (Pascal) and the car actually has been on my drive. The loudest car I've ever heard, by far - so loud that when I was following it, I couldn't even hear my own engine.

Watch out (or perhaps listen out) for it!

Sadly mine's just a Chimaera 4.5 - nothing flash. Own at least one TVR before you die.

'just a Chimaera nothing flash'... ha, I wish I could say something like that! Love them all but I guess that the Cerbera will always be my favourite (doesn't need to be the Speed 12 though Wink).
Sure I've seen Swordfish, the only thing I remember from that movie is the Tuscan LOL
It's so sad such an iconic car manufacturer went down Cry

btw I'm also an animal lover so I would love to take the package of TVR + parrots Big smile

Edited by Gerinski - June 14 2013 at 18:17
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 20:11
Me and my best friend have agreed to merge our collections post-mortem. I'd hope to give it to one of my children, or his, if my children have bad music taste, but it really depends what happens in the next 30 years.

Although my parents never had great music taste, I still have a few records from them I love, particularly the Dire Straits and Supertramp ones, but when my dad passed, most of the records I got back were ones I bought him.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 20:13
But for my rarer ones (signed copies, first editions etc), I'd want to find someone who truly loves the music first, and I'll do that during my lifetime.

Some of my band t-shirts that I grew out of I gave to charities, but due to the fact you aren't allowed to wear a shirt without knowing the music, I supplied a memory stick with each shirt with the band's music on it.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 20:34
My oldest daughter who is into Porcupine Tree, Anathema and other more modern bands will get her pick. If my Brother-in-law is still alive he'd love to get my Krautrock, Psychedelic, Zeuhl, Electronic cds.
The rest could be sold on E-Bay.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 20:35
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Let my daughter have her choice of the collection then ship the rest to ROSfest in a big box market 'Free Please Take One' alternatively the local library.

Great idea!!!. My daughter says she wants it, so I think it's settled, but in case there are some CDs she doesn't want, the library would be a good option, or maybe send it to a festival (Baja Prog maybe?) in a box, with a note " FREE please take as many as you want".
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 22:37
Awesome posts, everyone--the funny and the serious. Definitely like the idea of taking it all with me and using it--and building upon it--in the 'next' world. But then, I'm expecting the music will be even better there. No more Kronos Quartet playing Hendrix or ELP playing Copeland or John Tout playing Rachmaninoff:  A-ron, Rach and Jimi will be jamming together, right?

Local library can have all the CDs. My daughters, for some reason, are really into vinyl--plastering their homes with original album covers from my 70s collection! (Not the 100% virgin vinyl Jap presses or Mobile Fidelities, though. Those are treasures!)

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 22:59
In a pit of despair 

unclemeat69 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 03:59
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I will have my music collection donated to a library. Some surviving relative or friend can work out the details.
Probably this.

Remember that music files that come with a license most will become unplayable after the licensee has died.
Any files with drm in them have self-destruction built into them.-
So this topic could only be about cd's, vinyl and such.
Follow your bliss
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 05:40
I believe that CDs have physical deterioration too, not sure for how many years they will still play faultlessly, I have already some recorded CD-Rs which do not play well anymore (let alone that at some point a CD player or turntable may become difficult to find and maintain technological relics).
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 05:53
Prog Heaven

But actually my kids can have em and do what they want - hopefully listen to em but not all are going to appeal so they can work that out. Same thing happened with my dad. He was into country and I am not but I grabbed a few of the better albums and occasionally listen in memory of him. But his 12 string electric acoustic guitar was a really great thing that I was able to take and play and I always think of him when I do. He wouldnt have had it any other way. I hope my kids will listen to my collection and remember me as its part of me. 
FLAC View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 06:05
I only have pirated cd's because in my country it's inpossible to find any original progressive rock cd's. So I don't know where to put them but in the end who the hell cares,those cd's will make it without me somehow
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 14:46
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I'll be buried with it, so I can use it in the afterlife.

Man. That's a great idea. I was thinking the same thing. Nobody in my family appreciates prog the way i do.
It's going to be with me. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 15:03
Tough question.
I got some prog friends, but they already bought the albums they like.
They know most of the albums that I own, because we let each other listen to our new music once or twice a year ( a tradition that exists since some 20 years).
But if they (or I) like something a lot, most of us tend to buy it.
So I don't know... towards family?
Maybe...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 23:03
To my son in law......maybe then he'll finally understand prog.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2013 at 10:49
Hi,

I don't know ... and ... I don't know.

I would have liked to will it to a Smithsonian or the like, but they are not interested in other things and the American side of my progressive whatever, is probably too small to be worth anything.

IF, Prog Archives had a "library" for these things, I would give it to them!

I have, shared, everything I know and don't know with all of you. I have not been a selfish jerk picking up the girls under the name of art, and the music. I have done my best to help solidify the place, the time, the music, and its art.

If the rest of the wrold doesn't care ... so be it ... who am I to argue with all of you?

The only concern I have is the control of the top ten thing, and how it is not helping define and show the arts as well as it could. All the media owns the same thing they are trying to sell, and even people here can not get off the top ten bandwagon, to the point of making the artist, their pet dog and cat and slippers!

Art has lost its meaning in this generation ... and to me that is far scarier than the great bonfire that my music collection will create after I die!

No one that listens to metal, will still appreciate AD2, Can, Banco, Capability Brown, Duncan Brown, Carmen, and hundreds of others ... so ... like everyone else ... we will all die, and no one will know, or care, any better!

It's really like a ROSE ... it blooms when it does, and then dies! Some seeds remain and might help the plant rejuvenate itself next year ... and another girl in love will come and pluck it and put it in a glass of water to inspire her for another day or so ... and then the flower dies!

So do you, and all the music!

No sense being angry ... enjoy, appreciate the beauty, the heart and the love ... that it was intended with ... and for crying out loud stop worrying about one bad song that you think is the end of the world ... your world, maybe! But even that, will die, soon, my friend ... soon ... much too soon for all of us!

I am not Melmoth, the Wanderer!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>