Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Yes Is The Answer"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 12:30
The thing is progressive rock fans poke fun at themselves just like Spinal Tap parodied the whole genre of rock 'n' roll in one swipe. But this guy isn't even funny. I mean even Rick Wakeman bashes progrock in his book Grumpy Old Rock Star ans Other Wondrous Stories but the difference is that Rck is possesion of wit & intellect.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 19:34
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

The thing is progressive rock fans poke fun at themselves just like Spinal Tap parodied the whole genre of rock 'n' roll in one swipe. But this guy isn't even funny. I mean even Rick Wakeman bashes progrock in his book Grumpy Old Rock Star ans Other Wondrous Stories but the difference is that Rck is possesion of wit & intellect.

...and musical talent!  Wakeman's "Grumpy Old Rick" blog is a must read!  

If you want to see him lambast his own band, please see:

"We were playing a gig at the Manchester Free Trade Hall when I realised quite how different my lifestyle was from that of the other members of Yes.

Tales From Topographic Oceans, our grandiose 1973 album, was regarded by fans and critics alike as our most 'challenging' and I was really struggling with the tour.

Not because it was hard work - quite the opposite, in fact. As the keyboard player, there were quite a few passages where I had nothing to do or was just holding down one key."  

etc.  Enjoy!  

HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 03:01
Quote While we are aware that Kanye West has sampled King Crimson, we plead ignorance to the fact that ASAP Rocky or 2 Chainz might harbor a secret love for Caravan and Gentle Giant.

I must admit I chuckled.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 03:45
Troll journalism
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 11:25
^ Mhm, that's what I've figured.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 21 2013 at 11:25
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 15:27
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

...and musical talent!  Wakeman's "Grumpy Old Rick" blog is a must read!  

If you want to see him lambast his own band, please see:

"We were playing a gig at the Manchester Free Trade Hall when I realised quite how different my lifestyle was from that of the other members of Yes.

Tales From Topographic Oceans, our grandiose 1973 album, was regarded by fans and critics alike as our most 'challenging' and I was really struggling with the tour.

Not because it was hard work - quite the opposite, in fact. As the keyboard player, there were quite a few passages where I had nothing to do or was just holding down one key."  

etc.  Enjoy!  

'Take a left here, Rick, climb over that giant mushroom, past the spaceship and just behind, beyond that cloud, are your keyboards.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1045969/Yes-original-Spinal-Tap-says-Rick-Wakeman-Seventies-prog-rock-supergroup.html#ixzz2Wsu1deUy 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
LostWaxMuseum View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 10:24
Let's take a look at Rob Sheffield's recent contributions to rock journalism. A book about karaoke and a book about Duran Duran. Of course he's going to be derisive about music with any sophistication. There was a great interview with the book's author and Nathan Larson on WNYC's Soundcheck a few months ago. It should be available to listen to in their show archive.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 08:56
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Those who don't understand progressive rock are just jealous.....they don't get why we worship huge, fiberglass mushrooms onstage, why we sit, transfixed, listening to double-album after double-album, and why we worship musicians who play notes faster than human comprehension.  

Screw 'em.  I started with King Crimson in 1969 and lever looked back. 

The part that is scary is the newspaper actually printing something that is rude and out of line and disrespectful.

Insanity. I may joke about something but putting it down like that is uncalled for. I make fun of the fans, but that is a way to get them to look in the mirror and make a call ... not to tell them they are screwed up!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2013 at 18:12
Great letter. Sounds like the reviewer is one of those who derides that which he does not understand.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12