Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe interconnected modern prog scene?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The interconnected modern prog scene?
    Posted: June 15 2013 at 06:46
I've never really listened to The Tangent, but for some reason today I was reading about their upcoming album (Le Sacre du Travail) on these forums, and noticed that Rikard Sjoblom of Beardfish is contributing spoken voice- a cute little response to Alex Tillison providing a spoken intro to Beardfish's The Void last year, one would assume.

It got me thinking about the apparent interconnectedness of the core of the modern prog scene, where a great many musicians seem to have a large number of collaborative links and projects with members of other bands, ultimately exemplified by such 'supergroups' as The Tangent, and perhaps more so than in other genres. Even more particularly, this includes, or even features, members of the classic bands and all their projects becoming involved with the projects of the modern prog scene (ie, David Jackson in The Tangent; the various forms of Fripp/Wilson collaboration) or vice versa (Jon Davison of Glass Hammer joining Yes), bringing together musicians of different eras in this kind of creative coalescence.

This largely applies only to the symphonic/eclectic core of the scene (as opposed to RIO/metal/post rock, etc subgenres, and regardless progressive music as we broadly define it doesn't have a delineated scene per se), but it's an interesting phenomenon, and I think an makes an interesting topic for general discussion. So, thoughts?
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 14:39
In some cases, it is to build a CV (not too many would say NO to having "Played with Yes" on their resume).  In others, it is simple respect for each other in the industry...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 16:34
I don't know why you discount the RIO scene with many bands having relationships with each other, there's the recent Aranis-Present-Univers Zero, One Upon A Time In Belgium collaboration. Yugen's last studio album had a bunch of Thinking Plague guests. Dave Kerman & Pierre Chevalier (Present) appeared on the 2010 Aranis album. Henry Cow & Slapp Happy famously collaborated.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
phlake View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 17:08
CV is a good point, yes, but most important is the friendship that builds! Almost every prog musician or fan I've met are great, nice, non-aggressive, open minded and funny people, and one gets inspired by hearing others play - and lust to play together!
madmike View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 17:25
Additionally, I think it's a good point to remember that, in smaller creative communities, artists may find strength in numbers, frequently networking for moral support, creative inspiration, or possibly somebody to collaborate with.

You see this networking effect even more strongly in the prog scenes in smaller countries - the list of connections between prog bands in Norway, for instance, seems to more resemble a spider web than anything.  :)
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 18:14
It's also pretty cool to see members of newer bands play in older bands, like Mikael Akerfeldt doing vocals on Steve Hackett's revisited version of Supper's Ready. Or older prog musicians playing in newer bands, like when Fripp toured with Tool.
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 23:35
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I don't know why you discount the RIO scene with many bands having relationships with each other, there's the recent Aranis-Present-Univers Zero, One Upon A Time In Belgium collaboration. Yugen's last studio album had a bunch of Thinking Plague guests. Dave Kerman & Pierre Chevalier (Present) appeared on the 2010 Aranis album. Henry Cow & Slapp Happy famously collaborated.

Good point, I hadn't really considered that- but even more interesting would be how many connections there are between the RIO scene and the 'core' prog scene?

Originally posted by madmike madmike wrote:

Additionally, I think it's a good point to remember that, in smaller creative communities, artists may find strength in numbers, frequently networking for moral support, creative inspiration, or possibly somebody to collaborate with.

You see this networking effect even more strongly in the prog scenes in smaller countries - the list of connections between prog bands in Norway, for instance, seems to more resemble a spider web than anything.  :)

Exactly!

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2013 at 05:00
Most prog bands are heavily interconnected. This is nothing new and something that has been heavily remarked upon since the 70's. The one thing I will say is that it's mostly bands within a sub genre that are linked, you don't get so many links from bands in different sub genres (the three metal subs aside), though that doesnt mean there arent any.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2013 at 06:23
Also, for many fans, having guest musicians featuring in an album makes it more attractive, it creates some extra curiosity as for how will the collaboration sound like, and it probably will expand the potential buyers of the album to the fans of the guests musicians bands as well, increasing the sales potential.
Everybody wins.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2013 at 06:35
May also have something to do with the players wanting to branch out. Going way back to the end of the sixties, the musicians who pushed the envelope were those who dared to venture out beyond the norm. We know it as "prog", but it was just as much the huge gang bang happening between all these different music styles. 
By jumping sonic ship you get to challenge your abilities and widen your musical horizon, simple as that, and who wouldn't do that in order to grow as an artist? 

Edited by Guldbamsen - June 16 2013 at 07:06
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2013 at 10:19
Hi,

I keep thinking that this connection is no different than any other connection, to film folks, to literature, to the arts in general. All you are saying is that you are surprised that people know, hear, see, other things out there?

This is an issue for the top ten concerns in this board ... this article, kinda takes away the intelligence that these musicians have and are next to in a big city like New York, London, Paris, Tokyo ... but for some reason, you can only think of their ability as something that is ... not possible, or strange, or weird.

It is MORE IMPORTANT for you to find out and learn the artistic connection than it is for you to be surprised ... but somehow, the idea and concept itself, appears to not be interesting to you?

Many of us are confounded, though it is his wife, at the connection between Robert Fripp and his wife ... but we do not give her the credit she deserves as a woman, artist, and wife ... and Robert has been a part of many different things ... either because he was bored, or he wanted to try something else!

Inspiration is just that ... inspiration. And more often than not, there is no "reason" as to why it happens ... it just does!

LET IT BE
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 19:53
Anyway, I think most of the comments here are spot on.  

Another aspect that hasn't been discussed yet is how these collaborations can literally introduce a listener to a new genre.  For example, after hearing Ayreon's The Human Equation (symphonic rock) and being impressed by Eric Clayton's vocals, I immediately looked up the band that he was in.  And thus I discovered Saviour Machine and symphonic gothic metal, a genre which I had had no contact with before.  And this led me to check out other gothic metal artists like Tiamat and ...Into the Woods.  Another example is Jon Anderson appearing on Kitaro's album Dream.  This was my first real encounter with new age music, and it prompted me to check out other artists like Enya and Gandalf.

The possibilities seem endless...

Edited by Earendil - July 03 2013 at 20:00
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 20:08
Originally posted by Earendil Earendil wrote:

Another aspect that hasn't been discussed yet is how these collaborations can literally introduce a listener to a new genre.  For example, after hearing Ayreon's The Human Equation (symphonic rock) and being impressed by Eric Clayton's vocals, I immediately looked up the band that he was in.  And thus I discovered Saviour Machine and symphonic gothic metal, a genre which I had had no contact with before.  And this led me to check out other gothic metal artists like Tiamat and ...Into the Woods.  Another example is Jon Anderson appearing on Kitaro's album Dream.  This was my first real encounter with new age music, and it prompted me to check out other artists like Enya and Gandalf.

How nice that AYREON's HUMAN EQUATION Lead you to the wonderful ERIC CLAYTON. This makes me happy to hear.
So how do you like SAVIOUR MACHINE ?
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 20:16
You know what keeps me connected to the modern prog scene or 21st century prog if you will, is PA baby.
For such a long time I've been an 80's and early 90's prog dweller. PA helped me discover so much new music.
I am eternally grateful. I also really like the forum BANDCAMP recommendations here on PA. You can discover some pretty interesting bands. Modern of course. ;)

But what is my take on modernity in prog overall? I still enjoy the classics much more.
It was a different time. Music sounded different or had certain hallmark sounds that defined a generation of music. In the 80's it was the age of electric. I love the birth of clever synth. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 20:33
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

In some cases, it is to build a CV

Fist I thought you meant 'creative venue' until I realized it was 'curriculum vitae' .    Frankly it should be to build a creative venue  Smile .

Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 20:37
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Earendil Earendil wrote:

How nice that AYREON's HUMAN EQUATION Lead you to the wonderful ERIC CLAYTON. This makes me happy to hear.
So how do you like SAVIOUR MACHINE ?

I was obsessed with them enough when the limited edition picture disc came out to drop $50-60 on it LOL

Legend I is my favorite then Legend III:I then their debut.
Imogenering View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

WOW - Spam !

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2013 at 01:06
It's also fairly neat to find out members of more recent groups perform throughout older groups, like Mikael Akerfeldt doing words on Dorrie Hackett's revisited sort of Supper's All set. Or older prog musicians actively playing throughout more recent rings, similar to any time Fripp toured using Instrument.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2013 at 10:43
Pete Frame would have a sizable headache, I reckon.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2013 at 15:06
Hi,

What's weird to me is that the extension of the "connection" is probably too small, to even help lift the work further up.

I wonder how many people even noticed the quote about Kerouac ... in the middle of all this ... and what it says ... there is some inter-connectedness ... that went right by everyone.

It might mean something to some and nothing to others! But as the pig in the slop would say ... I love my mud and the swine that give me more!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
warrplayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 01:30
It just gets easier and easier to collaborate. And cheaper. The move to a common recording file format was probably the last big hurdle. Dropbox even took care of waiting for file downloads. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>