Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe interconnected modern prog scene?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2013 at 06:46
I've never really listened to The Tangent, but for some reason today I was reading about their upcoming album (Le Sacre du Travail) on these forums, and noticed that Rikard Sjoblom of Beardfish is contributing spoken voice- a cute little response to Alex Tillison providing a spoken intro to Beardfish's The Void last year, one would assume.

It got me thinking about the apparent interconnectedness of the core of the modern prog scene, where a great many musicians seem to have a large number of collaborative links and projects with members of other bands, ultimately exemplified by such 'supergroups' as The Tangent, and perhaps more so than in other genres. Even more particularly, this includes, or even features, members of the classic bands and all their projects becoming involved with the projects of the modern prog scene (ie, David Jackson in The Tangent; the various forms of Fripp/Wilson collaboration) or vice versa (Jon Davison of Glass Hammer joining Yes), bringing together musicians of different eras in this kind of creative coalescence.

This largely applies only to the symphonic/eclectic core of the scene (as opposed to RIO/metal/post rock, etc subgenres, and regardless progressive music as we broadly define it doesn't have a delineated scene per se), but it's an interesting phenomenon, and I think an makes an interesting topic for general discussion. So, thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12