Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPoetry of Progressive Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 12:22
Originally posted by Tubes Tubes wrote:

As a matter of fact, I'm only interested in an analysis of Gentle Giant lyrics because I look forward to a revelation of just "how absolutely awful," they ", really are." LOL

Looks like an agenda to me. The OP of this thread ought to be more interesting than your actual intentions, in my opinion.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 12:23
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Also. One last thing. Sammy Cool's Rime of the ancient mariner is one of my all time favourites.
I also especially like Iron Maiden's wonderful track adaptation of the poetic work itself.

Well done Bruce!!

I'm not usually big on Iron Maiden lyrics, but I concur. The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is fantastic.
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 12:30
Originally posted by Tubes Tubes wrote:

No offense to you yourself, but it seems to me that most members of this website who are familiar with Gentle Giant, are not interested at all in being shown, perhaps, that there isn't much to that band.

Correct. Would you like it if somebody said to you: "Hey, that band you really like? They actually suck."

Edited by HarbouringTheSoul - June 17 2013 at 12:49
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 12:45
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Also. One last thing. Sammy Cool's Rime of the ancient mariner is one of my all time favourites.
I also especially like Iron Maiden's wonderful track adaptation of the poetic work itself.

Well done Bruce!!

I'm not usually big on Iron Maiden lyrics, but I concur. The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is fantastic.

^this
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 13:28
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Well done Bruce!!

"This song's about what not to do if a bird s%$ts on ye"

Lol I love it when he says that before he belts out the live version on FLIGHT 666.
Great live album. Iron Maiden still got it even after all these years. B.D sings just as well as he did 20 years ago.
He is a true professional.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 13:30

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Well done Bruce!!

"This song's about what not to do if a bird s%$ts on ye"

Lol I love it when he says that before he belts out the live version on FLIGHT 666.
Great live album. Iron Maiden still got it even after all these years. B.D sings just as well as he did 20 years ago.
He is a true professional.
I haven't heard that live album - I was referring to the "Live After Death" album.  I guess the joke was funny enough to repeat. LOL
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 14:20
Hehe. Implying that lyrics are the most important part of prog. LOL
Thanks for the laugh OP! Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 15:12
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

oh man Scott, when bob Dylan sings it's like a rusty nail being driven into my ear.
He makes me wanna stick my finger in my eye-ball and swirl it around. Lol
The worst part is I can't understand him.

I'm the same, Nick....Can't stomach him, and worse still I don't relate at all to his words.

I remember someone once telling me `No, ignore his voice, listen to his words...', and I came back with something like `Yeah, but...kind of hard to ingore the voice when he's a SINGER, that's the whole point of what he's doing' lol!

Go back to the beginning ... put on "Blonde on Blonde" ... forget the rest! Listen to the whole double album ... and by the time you hear ... she knows what she needs and I know what she wants (something like that) ... you will understand the cynical and sometimes totally satirical voicing of his. This is not about "love" ... this is about crap and bs! ... just alike here on this thread already!

The words are well defined.

If you want to hear these better, you can always put on Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Sandy Denny, Bryan Ferry, Jimi Hendrix ... and then realize ... these are nice words!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 15:22
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

oh man Scott, when bob Dylan sings it's like a rusty nail being driven into my ear.

I'm the same, Nick....Can't stomach him, and worse still I don't relate at all to his words.

I remember someone once telling me `No, ignore his voice, listen to his words...', and I came back with something like `Yeah, but...kind of hard to ingore the voice when he's a SINGER, that's the whole point of what he's doing' lol!

Go back to the beginning ... put on "Blonde on Blonde" ... forget the rest! Listen to the whole double album ... and by the time you hear ... she knows what she needs and I know what she wants (something like that) ... you will understand the cynical and sometimes totally satirical voicing of his. This is not about "love" ... this is about crap and bs! ... just alike here on this thread already!

If you want to hear these better, you can always put on Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Sandy Denny, Bryan Ferry, Jimi Hendrix ... and then realize ... these are nice words!
Another factoid tying Jimi & Dylan.  One of the innumerable Hendrix bio's tells the story of his first time in the studio after moving to Britain.  He was super self-conscious about his voice and someone told him to listen to Bob Dylan...that if Dylan could sing on a record, Jimi surely could LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 15:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H26rfN5H8J0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

K guys. Watch this! It's funny.

Oh and Scott (ACR) sorry for the sh*tty link. Cut and paste is tiresome. :)
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 15:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H26rfN5H8J0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

K guys. Watch this! It's funny.

Oh and Scott (ACR) sorry for the sh*tty link. Cut and paste is tiresome. :)

What’s so funny with Server not found?

But come on, you’re all off topic. Forget that he doesn’t like GG, he wanted to hear if there are any serious analysis of prog lyrics. As far as I can see, only my brother has contributed to that debate yet.
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 15:36
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Another factoid tying Jimi & Dylan.  One of the innumerable Hendrix bio's tells the story of his first time in the studio after moving to Britain.  He was super self-conscious about his voice and someone told him to listen to Bob Dylan...that if Dylan could sing on a record, Jimi surely could LOL

That's a cheap Motivation tactic.   
I'm honestly considering that I'd rather listen to Barbara Strisand sing in the shower over Dylan.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 15:38

Sometimes, I just want to ... get mad.

Poetry is a LITERARY FORM that has history ... like THOUSANDS OF YEARS.

For you and I to sit here and say that "lyrics" for rock music and specially "songs", are poetry, is a bit facile, silly, and also ... more than likely a bit uneducated, in terms of the history of the art form.

From my point of view, a lot of "lyrics" will become the "new poetry", sometime about 100 years from now, but it is too difficult for almost all the posters in this thread to see a bit beyond their senility and drunken'ess ... not that I feel any different saying all this! ... that there could be something that one day will be called "poetry" and will be a part of that literary tradition ... you and I, have no idea, and will NEVER be able to make a proper distinction in our lifetimes ... but there is something that we can do ... create enough literary/essayist discussion about the lyrics of a piece or two ... but no ... the only thing that some folks can do is say GG is trash, and have no ability to break it down piece by piece as to why ... well, sheeeeeeepppp ddddiiiiipppp!!!! ... you know how many people were offended by "Our Lady of Flowers" ... and everyone upset that the French literatii were all excited that they got something over all the other intelectuals that were kissing T S Elliot's shorts? You got it ... same thing here!

It was, the perfect ... number one ... ooopppsss ... finger! (just like Mad Magazine that one time!)

I doubt that anyone here that is discussing FISH, PG and such, have ever read Peter Hammill away from the music, or Roy Harper away from the music, or Pete Sinfield away from the music to be able to make a decent evaluation of the written work that those folks created ... and that's a problem ... you will never read a Byron, a Shelley, a Shakespeare, a Milton, a Waldo, a Rabelais, a ... whoever ... but your "knowledge" of "lyrics" makes you qualified to discuss/compare it to "poetry"?

Weird ... your TA or professor will give you a D- with the difference being that you at least spent a little time typing it ... we hope! Now you know, based on the posts in this thread, why so much of rock music is not taken seriously ... because we behave like idiots and do not have the ability, or desire, to show it as much better than it really is ... prog or not is not the issue ... your attitude is!

Now, do me a small favor ... grow up and help make the music we love more important by discussing it correctly, not in terms of you like and you don't like!

Thanks

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 15:44

That's a cheap Motivation tactic.   
I'm honestly considering that I'd rather listen to Barbara Strisand sing in the shower over Dylan.

She has the voice ... but she has no words!

Sorry! I would think that if you said Mariah Carey you would be closer to it ... but what the heck!

www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 16:16

Sometimes, I just want to ... get mad.

Poetry is a LITERARY FORM that has history ... like THOUSANDS OF YEARS.

For you and I to sit here and say that "lyrics" for rock music and specially "songs", are poetry, is a bit facile, silly, and also ... more than likely a bit uneducated, in terms of the history of the art form.

From my point of view, a lot of "lyrics" will become the "new poetry", sometime about 100 years from now, but it is too difficult for almost all the posters in this thread to see a bit beyond their senility and drunken'ess ... not that I feel any different saying all this! ... that there could be something that one day will be called "poetry" and will be a part of that literary tradition ... you and I, have no idea, and will NEVER be able to make a proper distinction in our lifetimes ... but there is something that we can do ... create enough literary/essayist discussion about the lyrics of a piece or two ... but no ... the only thing that some folks can do is say GG is trash, and have no ability to break it down piece by piece as to why ... well, sheeeeeeepppp ddddiiiiipppp!!!! ... you know how many people were offended by "Our Lady of Flowers" ... and everyone upset that the French literatii were all excited that they got something over all the other intelectuals that were kissing T S Elliot's shorts? You got it ... same thing here!

It was, the perfect ... number one ... ooopppsss ... finger! (just like Mad Magazine that one time!)

I doubt that anyone here that is discussing FISH, PG and such, have ever read Peter Hammill away from the music, or Roy Harper away from the music, or Pete Sinfield away from the music to be able to make a decent evaluation of the written work that those folks created ... and that's a problem ... you will never read a Byron, a Shelley, a Shakespeare, a Milton, a Waldo, a Rabelais, a ... whoever ... but your "knowledge" of "lyrics" makes you qualified to discuss/compare it to "poetry"?

Weird ... your TA or professor will give you a D- with the difference being that you at least spent a little time typing it ... we hope! Now you know, based on the posts in this thread, why so much of rock music is not taken seriously ... because we behave like idiots and do not have the ability, or desire, to show it as much better than it really is ... prog or not is not the issue ... your attitude is!

Now, do me a small favor ... grow up and help make the music we love more important by discussing it correctly, not in terms of you like and you don't like!

Thanks

Hey great. You enjoyed the video.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 16:44

Nope ... I have read a lot of poetry and literature! And born in a house iwth 40k some books of Portuguese, Spanish and Brazilian literature ... I guess that I could not give a merde about most "lyrics"!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 16:53

Nope ... I have read a lot of poetry and literature! And born in a house iwth 40k some books of Portuguese, Spanish and Brazilian literature ... I guess that I could not give a merde about most "lyrics"!

I studied Romantic and Victorian literature in college, so I'm not aloof or obtuse when it comes to extensive poetry analyzation. Personally, I do not care too much for the lugubrious, bleeding heart and swan song attitude.
I laugh it off really.....and it's exactly what I am doing now. Has nothing to do with education because I just choose to laugh. Life is more fun that way then being a weiling wall of a pussy.

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 17:38
The End.

Epilogue: what's a swan song attitude?

[red curtains closing]

Now let's discuss prog literature/poetry.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 17:55
Goo goo ga joob
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Tubes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 18:09
No offense, intended to you yourself mokito, but you do ALMOST sound like a condescending elitist douchebag; 1 Corinthians 3:18: Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>