Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavorite Proto-Prog Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 17:27
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I'm sure someone must have had a similar thread before but I couldn't  bring one up on search.

So what is your single favorite Proto-Prog album  of all time from the early days when prog was still in it's infancy between 1967 and 1970...?
As much as I like the Beatles-Pepper, The Doors-Strange Days, and Jefferson Airplane-Crown of Creation, and many others.....I find myself over the years playing 'Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus' by Spirit more than any other proto prog record. When I first heard it in college in 1970 at IU Bloomington, IN I was knocked out by the quality and variety of songs.
What's your story?

Cool

Still, Sgt. Pepper's. The album had it all, string sections, harps, sitars, trons, found sounds, calliopes, psychedelic lyrics, and one of the best album endings ever!

Clap
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 17:29
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Sigh.....the point of my thread was about people listing their personal favorite proto prog lp...what ever that meant to them. It was not about best or how various people define proto prog, which is subjective anyway, or another thread to argue categories and classifications.

Ermm

Sorry Doug, I derailed your thread somewhat - my appologies.

My first post here gave my favourite Proto album: Kaleidoscope's A Tangerine Dream - this was one of the first albums I ever bought all those years ago (The Move's debut was the other) and it is still one of my favourite albums. The cover is a little dog-eared and worse for wear but albums are made to be played, not just to look at. Superficially it's a relatively simple psychedelic pop album, and a bit twee in parts, (then in 1967 that was to be expected), but there's more to it than that in terms of composition and song structure that pushed them ahead of their psyche-pop contemporaries.

No problem...................btw, both of those are fine lp's from the early days. I always liked the Move and  I picked up the Kaleidoscope collection on cd a few years back. Time to play it again.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 18:17
Originally posted by Knobby Knobby wrote:

"multi-tagging", "pidgeonholing","categories and classifications."

You two gentlemen have not had the decency to READ my words. I am not asking for a protoprog cubby AT ALL on this forum, like you deem it I am.

I repeat: protoprog is just a dealer term to link certain bands to a distinguishable sound. It is NOT A GENRE which need coverage or pidgeonholing here.

Sheesh!  How many more times I gotta pound this in your heads. You just do not want to listen. You want to argue.

I call raging bigotry against the Masterman!
You should do the right thing and give  a Masterman's words the regard they  necessitate.

Have an open mind.

Not  "tl;dr".

And its not "psychE-pop", it is "popsike"!!

Proto Prog is not a genre here, nor is it a stylistic category and I don't have a dealer or much interest in them to worry about what they call things. Here it's a place we put bands that weren't quite Prog (by some undefined subjective measure that no one can articulate but they know it when they hear it), bands that didn't quite fit comfortably in the main database but we felt deserved a mention for, well, being there at the beginning I guess and for influencing those who would later produce Progressive Rock albums in the two or three years following their release. We unofficially have a cut-off date of 1969, purely arbitrarily of course and completely meaningless, but you've got to draw a line somewhere and there is as good as any,even if we do break that unofficial cut-off when we feel like it. Many of the bands at that time who also made albums that pedants would call proto-prog went on to be part of the Progressive Rock scene and make albums that are called Progressive Rock albums (somewhere, not necessarily just here), which is why we list those bands in different subgenres or categories or pigeonholes (as I said, if you fret over that too much then, umm, there are better things to fret over). At worse you'd call them transitional, but that would be unfair and inaccurate (Love Sculpture or The Beatles were never transitional, but they were never Prog or Proto-Prog either; The Parlour Band were transitional, they just didn't transition into Prog that's all, they became A Band Called "O" instead).

If we've purloined a terminology that you feel applies to something completely different, then such is life, the world will end shortly and everything will be fine after that.

Odd though, I don't recall abrieviating psychedelic (pop) to psych-with-an-E pop but thanks for the tip, but that does sound like a dealer term to me. [edit: ah, I see I that did in a different post, my error, I stand corrected]

Edited by Dean - June 19 2013 at 18:22
What?
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 19:28

[Here it's a place we put bands that weren't quite Prog (by some undefined subjective measure that no one can articulate but they know it when they hear it), bands that didn't quite fit comfortably in the main database but we felt deserved a mention

I have nothing against this.

All I'm saying is re-name the entire section, taking out the word "proto".

Call it    "Bands That Weren't Quite Prog But... and Prog-Related Lounge".

Call it    "Rudimentary-Prog and Prog-related..."

Please.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 19:32
Ermm nope.
What?
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 19:58
I like proto.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 21:18

Well ...the PA 'guys' consider The Moody Blues and Procol to be crossover/prog rock and not proto prog per se....but those are certainly 2 early bands with an early prog sound...and I might have chose In Search Of The Lost Chord which we played the crap out of also in college.

I don't go by PA's bewildering categories. the question regarded favorite proto-prog albums, and I consider The Moodys and Procol proto-prog, as in prog-like sensibilities before such sensibilities were defined, cast in stone and given arcane designations that only Dean can explain to me. LOL

But please, let us move on. This runaway train has been derailed enough.

How's about HP Lovecraft's first album:

or their second album, for that matter:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 22:13
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Well ...the PA 'guys' consider The Moody Blues and Procol to be crossover/prog rock and not proto prog per se....but those are certainly 2 early bands with an early prog sound...and I might have chose In Search Of The Lost Chord which we played the crap out of also in college.

I don't go by PA's bewildering categories. the question regarded favorite proto-prog albums, and I consider The Moodys and Procol proto-prog, as in prog-like sensibilities before such sensibilities were defined, cast in stone and given arcane designations that only Dean can explain to me. LOL

But please, let us move on. This runaway train has been derailed enough.

How's about HP Lovecraft's first album:

or their second album, for that matter:

Love HP Lovecraft....always thought of them as psych rock, but they could certainly fit in with 'proto-prog'..

.oh...wait a minute, they aren't on Mr Knobby's list....sorry.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 22:26

Love HP Lovecraft....always thought of them as psych rock, but they could certainly fit in with 'proto-prog'..

.oh...wait a minute, they aren't on Mr Knobby's list....sorry.
Wink

Well, there are certainly prog elements amidst the detritus of psychedelia. Maybe we can call it psych-proto-prog and conduct a letter writing campaign to get it put on Mr. Knobby's pretentious list.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 07:57
Now that's a new one:
Prog-luver using the "pretentious" word on another fellow prog luver's arris.
 Despicable.

I call BAN.

Edited by Knobby - June 20 2013 at 08:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 19:47

Now that's a new one:
Prog-luver using the "pretentious" word on another fellow prog luver's arris.
 Despicable.

I call BAN.

I am a lover of a wide range of music, not merely progressive. I don't make exclusive claims and Domesday lists regarding what should and should not be in a music genre that did not even exist during the time frame we are discussing.

I call a flagrant misuse of the English language with colloquialisms and net-speak. 

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 20:01

[Here it's a place we put bands that weren't quite Prog (by some undefined subjective measure that no one can articulate but they know it when they hear it), bands that didn't quite fit comfortably in the main database but we felt deserved a mention

I have nothing against this.

All I'm saying is re-name the entire section, taking out the word "proto".

Call it    "Bands That Weren't Quite Prog But... and Prog-Related Lounge".

Call it    "Rudimentary-Prog and Prog-related..."

Please.

Friggin labels.....WTF?

Proto works just fine
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 20:59
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

. I don't make exclusive claims and Domesday lists regarding what should and should not be in a music genre that did not even exist during the time frame we are discussing.

I

This is more than The Knobster can bear.

This must be the 5th time I be reiterating this in this thread alone: PROTO IS NOT A GENRE. PROTO IS NOT A GENRE. PROTO-PROG IS NOT A GENRE!

What...just what is THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE?

Edited by Knobby - June 20 2013 at 21:09
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 21:09
Is this really worth yelling about?  Confused
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 22:29

Terje Rypdal as Proto-Prog act Big smile
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 22:32

This must be the 5th time I be reiterating this in this thread alone: PROTO IS NOT A GENRE. PROTO IS NOT A GENRE. PROTO-PROG IS NOT A GENRE!

Proto Prog is maybe my favorite genre on the site,
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 22:36
Proto-Prog is the reason why i created a profile here in the first place.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 05:11
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Proto Prog is maybe my favorite genre on the site,

LOL
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 05:37
Genre(s) is/are made for Promotional comfort and/or to make boxing easy for the Music Press.

As a listner its compleetly irrelevant, everything is entangled and at the same time uniq, nothing will fit in a box.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 06:41
Now this is a goodie methinks......We Are Everything You See by Lokomotive (UK, Birmingham)

Not listed on the archive but given the huge range of influences assimilated by Prog, were we to include everything that may have shaped the beast, the progenitors would have outnumbered the descendants?

Edited by ExittheLemming - June 21 2013 at 06:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>