Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hearing prog in the same year that it's released
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHearing prog in the same year that it's released

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hearing prog in the same year that it's released
    Posted: June 20 2013 at 07:26
Do you generally acquire and listen to a, say, 2008 prog rock album, in the year 2008?

I really fail to do this. I'm always discovering great prog albums about 8 or 9 years after their release.

Buying albums in the year that it's released, Pros:
Star If the band tour in your city, you'll know the songs and you'll have lots of fun being there seeing them live.
Star Ablility to make end-of-year lists.
Star The artists will be rewarded sooner rather than later.

Cons:

Confused Without the PA charts, hundreds of ratings and dozens of reviews during the first year, you don't really know whether it's good, great, masterpiece, or just good.
Confused New albums are more expensive.
Confused People like me wait for the "Tour Edition", "Anniversary Edition", "CD+DVD Edition". We don't buy new albums. What's the Rush?
Confused Have been a fan of Band A for 10 years and haven't bought any album! Waiting for that Box Set that includes everything. Gonna buy that either way, so why bother buying individual albums?
Confused I need the Internet to tell me just which songs from this album are the must-hears. And then I buy the songs on iTunes, skipping the full album.

My verdict:
Approve No prog band ever plays in my city. I don't make end-of-year lists. I'd like to buy albums as soon as they're out, to support the bands, but my priority is to make sure everything in my collection is top quality. As a result, I almost never buy prog albums in the same year they're released. I usually wait for 5+ years.

And yeah, the most amazing thing about this, is that they don't sound dated or old after all this time. I finally heard The Incident for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and it ROCKS. CoolCoolCool It's so, so ,so worth the wait.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 07:49
I don't have any kind of preference if that's what you're asking. I discover the music when I discover it and it's often the case obviously with older albums that I don't discover them until many years after their release.

In my teens I did hear all the Rush, Marillion, Hawkwind, It Bites, Yes and Genesis albums asd they were released (82 onward)
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 08:20
I rarely keep up with new releases.  I'm generally more interested in discovering obscurities from the past, prog or otherwise.  I think that since I've been a regular here, I've gotten more "hip" to the here and now, but my dominant focus is still on the past.  I think albums need some time to age.  I'm usually not the first guy to grab a new release and review it right away.  I've tried reviewing like that in the past, and those reviews have been mostly unsatisfying and not very good.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 09:30
I heard and bought all or most of the 'classic prog' when it came out between 69 and 80....but in the last 15 or 20 years I 'discovered'  many old and of course newer ones that I not heard of...some being obscure ones of course.
There were a few years in the 80's and early 90's where I didn't buy any prog for a while and mostly kept up with classic rock/pop bands. Then I met this guy locally who was really into prog from all over the world and he rekindled my interest.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
pfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 11:20
there is only a handfull of modern prog bands i actually like, so i rarely buy albums when they first release. 
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 11:41

I've only gotten 4 prog albums in their release years so far:

Frances the Mute by The Mars Volta

Octahedron by The Mars Volta

Viljans Oga by Anglagard

Shrine of New Generation Slaves by Riverside

So few I can actually remember each one vividly, but I'm sure that'll change thanks to how often I visit PA nowadays.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 11:47
I remember when Neurosis put out Through Silver in Blood. Every metal head I knew was going apefeces over it - including yours truly. 
Along with their 1992 album Souls at Zero, this album practically created the blueprint for post-metal. 

Thank ford for Ozzy's own Ozzfest though, because if it hadn't been for the live record cut that year with Neurosis playing Locust Star, I would never had bought TSiB. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 11:50
I buy a lot of stuff new and a lot of old stuff that I've not heard before as well.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 11:53
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I'm usually not the first guy to grab a new release and review it right away. 
How ironic then, that today I did just that. Embarrassed
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 12:01

AAAARARARRRRRRGGHHHHH I WANT THIS ALBUM NOW!!!!!!!!! 

Fantastic review my friend - you almost had me dancing thereBig smile 
10 euros for an immediate download and a black vinyl sent to your home! It's so cheap, but I still can't buy itLOLOuchDead
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 12:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Font

AAAARARARRRRRRGGHHHHH I WANT THIS ALBUM NOW!!!!!!!!! 

Fantastic review my friend - you almost had me dancing thereBig smile 
10 euros for an immediate download and a black vinyl sent to your home! It's so cheap, but I still can't buy itLOLOuchDead
''

What, what, what is this? What did you review?

Anyway, nowadays I buy what I like a short while after it comes out, thanks to Spotify, and to a minor degree to the tube. In the 60s and 70s I didn't have the money to keep up. We tended to buy one album each and then tape record from each other.
Thanks to PA I've discovered so much old and new music it's becoming rather expensive. LOL
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 13:37
It's a mix for me.  I got into prog around '74 so from then until around '80 I was buying them when they came out like clockwork.  It was exciting, you'd buy the new Genesis/Yes/Tull and knew a tour was always coming your way in a few months.  I didn't really buy much prog in the 80's.  In the early 90's prog CD reissues started coming and from then on it seems I'm always hunting for treasures from the past Wink
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 13:41
Probably about 50:50 as I have a big appetite for new prog although I'm still discovering music now that I ignored or didn't know about from years gone by. 

I suppose another question might be when did you last get excited about the thought of a new release and who would it be? I suppose for me that would have been Anglagard although probably its hard to get that excited at a certain ageTongue
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 15:39
Depends on the band/artist. When my favorite bands release an album, 9 times out of 10 I'm buying it blindly. Others, I wait for other people's reactions and reviews. And then others I don't care to explore until one day I have nothing new to seek out, and finally I check out an album or band.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 15:53
If it's a band I really like, I'll pre-order it usually.  I'd say I generally listen to other new releases that look good by the next year.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 17:12
You missed the one big pro, you can be enjoying great music as soon as it's available rather than miss out on it for years.

I'm split about 50:50, I rediscover prog about 7 years ago and have been filling loads of gaps in my collection from the 70's & 80's while also keeping up on a lot on new artists, it's been help by a renaissance in modern avant/zeuhl in recent years.

In fact I have three new releases from Rhun, Red Masque & Not A Good Sign sitting on my sofa right now that arrived today. I have listened to extensive samples of all three so know what I was getting.

2013 releases bought so far this year - Guapo, NAGS, Rhun, Red Masque, Blue Cranes, São Paulo Underground, Sanguine Hum, Jaga Jazzist, Djam Kharet, Pat Metheny, Setna, Archestra, Five Storey Ensemble, Herd Of Instincts, Steve Wilson.

As far as I'm concerned not a bad one amongst them and a few classics.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 18:10
Quote Without the PA charts, hundreds of ratings and dozens of reviews during the first year, you don't really know whether it's good, great, masterpiece, or just good.

But you can form an opinion yourself, thank God.

Edited by mister nobody - June 20 2013 at 18:10
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 21:39
For me the ideal thing would be to buy albums at the time of their release. However, there's so much earlier music that I still have to get that it's difficult to keep up.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 21:56
Unimportant, mostly (except for very fav bands). Often went to gigs without being familiar with the band/artist latest release, always found it interesting to hear music for the first time in concert.
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 23:13
Only when I am following news from the band that I acquire and listen to their album after it is released, otherwise it will take more time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>