Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hearing prog in the same year that it's released
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHearing prog in the same year that it's released

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 13:13
Honestly I think the only prog album I've listened to on its release was Clockwork Angels. At the moment I'm awaiting new stuff from three or so bands, so by the end of this year I'll hopefully have more albums I bought the year they were released.
New2prog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 04:45
I think it's more expensive to tour these days for bands than in the past?

Also, I think the younger kids in general are going to techno shows more than live music, so bands
don't do as well as they used to.

It's good that they can make their own records at home and not have to have big backing to make a great record.
A band today doesn't really need to press anything.  If they just upload it, their fans can download it for a fee that mostly goes to the band if they have their own website.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 08:13
I always seem to enjoy music more when it's from the past. It has an added mystique, being not-of-this-time. I'm also more easily disappointed if I rush out to buy something new, like I did with The Incident.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 10:33
Originally posted by New2prog New2prog wrote:

I think it's more expensive to tour these days for bands than in the past?

<br ="webkit-block-placeholder">
Also, I think the younger kids in general are going to techno shows more than live music, so bands
don't do as well as they used to.
<br ="webkit-block-placeholder">
It's good that they can make their own records at home and not have to have big backing to make a great record.
A band today doesn't really need to press anything.  If they just upload it, their fans can download it for a fee that mostly goes to the band if they have their own website.

First and foremost...welcome to PA!

Secondly. It's incredibly expensive to tour and contract, record company negotiations are just the pits!! Also, your right about a band Using the Internet to promote their albums cheaply and somewhat successfully.
Their are a lot of great tools in the age of computers to do so. An example is SoundCloud.
:)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 10:55
I always buy a lot of new and old releases, mainly prog, fusion, hard bop, and classical. As I get older, I find myself buying more and more recordings that were released before I was born (1960).
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 14:00
I don't care whether or not I keep up with the new releases, and frankly, I just don't care for them. Keeping up is not important to me. So much good music out there from different times. I'd try to look for some truly original, fresh progressive stuff of today, and I would probably fail.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 02 2013 at 14:02
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 14:20
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Well what makes it special, discovering a great prog album in the same year it was constructed is that, most likely the band will be on tour to promote and play the album live! That's the best.

Nice.

In my generation (that one is the same one, btw!), ot would only add credence to the time and place and arts of the time and place.

And this is something that you can see when you step away from it ... Woodstock doesn't makes sense today ... it wouldn't sell 1/10th the number of tickets today, and the interest would be marginal ... but the scene at the time, and the value associated with many of those bands, were too important. Thus you can see why/how, some of the things that we look at as "progressive", also seem more important than they might have been ... specially in a musical way ... when broken down and discussed, it comes off as ... same as anything else today or yesterday!

It could be me, but today's bands, when I look at Lolapablabla and other events, are too damn trivial and unimportant to make more sense of the time and place! But, yeah, I admit that it could be my seeing of it when you look at 50 years, instead of 5 or 10! But in "history" ... time has a way to disappear ... and let's step back 100 years and take a look, and now you know that your listening is SLANTED ... and heavily so, and that takes away its soul, strength, and sometimes, its beauty!

Edited by moshkito - July 03 2013 at 14:25
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 14:39
I check out reviews, listen to samples, etc. and then buy the album, regardless of whether it was made in 1972 or 3097. I still have yet to find the latter, but I assure you I'm looking.
ShW1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 10:28
It's a great plesure to discover and listen to an album at the very same year it came out. However, for me, it rarely happen. As others, I returned to prog along with the 'information explosion' caused by the internet. So there are still many gaps to close, with records from last 20 years or so.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 10:45
Originally posted by ShW1 ShW1 wrote:

It's a great plesure to discover and listen to an album at the very same year it came out. However, for me, it rarely happen. As others, I returned to prog along with the 'information explosion' caused by the internet. So there are still many gaps to close, with records from last 20 years or so.

Yeah. Good point cause I tend to gravitate towards music that was a little out of my time.
Love a lot of 80's bands, so I dont have it happen for me very often as well.
And yes! Internet helps. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123