Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink Floyd Vocalists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Who's vocals do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [25.71%]
44 [62.86%]
8 [11.43%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 04:15
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Man, only if Syd stayed with the band. Gilmour included. Who knows where they would have taken off. Big smile

Nah - with Syd not becoming ill and staying in the band, he'd stay as the lead singer & songwriter.  Therefore the songs on their next albums would largely be those on Syd's solo albums (since those are the songs he wrote).  No Ummagumma, no film soundtracks, no exploratory experimentation, no Dark Side Of The Moon, no megastardom  - and maybe the band would've broken up in about 1970 or so.

Stern Smile Yeaaah truuee. Maybe if his role in the band wasn't so dominant, things might have been different.
Different indeed.  Without the loss of Syd, there'd be no themes of madness and loss for Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, or The Wall.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 10:22

Man, only if Syd stayed with the band. Gilmour included. Who knows where they would have taken off. Big smile
Nah - with Syd not becoming ill and staying in the band, he'd stay as the lead singer & songwriter.  Therefore the songs on their next albums would largely be those on Syd's solo albums (since those are the songs he wrote).  No Ummagumma, no film soundtracks, no exploratory experimentation, no Dark Side Of The Moon, no megastardom  - and maybe the band would've broken up in about 1970 or so.
Stern Smile Yeaaah truuee. Maybe if his role in the band wasn't so dominant, things might have been different.

Different indeed.  Without the loss of Syd, there'd be no themes of madness and loss for Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, or The Wall.

I am thankful for all three of them. Wow. To think you have a band where 3 guys can sing exceedly well.
Lol I think that one ups genesis. ;)
To answer the question though, if syd was with the band Pink Floyd would have been a very different sounding band for the years to come under syd's reign. It's true. I don't imagine an album like THE WALL ever being created.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 10:27
Absolutely 100% for David Gilmore.

I've also said this before where I even got a lot of joy out of Gilmore's officia full take over with the band in, A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON. some incredible guitar and vocals on that album.
SORROW, TERMINAL FROST and NOT YET ANOTHER MOVIE still remain as some of my dear favourite PF tracks of all time.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 21:27
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I am thankful for all three of them. Wow. To think you have a band where 3 guys can sing exceedly well.
To answer the question though, if syd was with the band Pink Floyd would have been a very different sounding band for the years to come under syd's reign. It's true. I don't imagine an album like THE WALL ever being created.

It was definitley better for the band that Gilmour took over for Syd, without him we would never have heard those excellent classic albums from Dark Side to The Wall... nor the ones that preceded them. Surely, Pink Floyd would never have become the legends they are today.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 21:30

Absolutely 100% for David Gilmore.

I've also said this before where I even got a lot of joy out of Gilmore's officia full take over with the band in, A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON. some incredible guitar and vocals on that album.
SORROW, TERMINAL FROST and NOT YET ANOTHER MOVIE still remain as some of my dear favourite PF tracks of all time.

Yeah, I'm not really sure I can really complain about Waters splitting from the rest of the Floyd,I really like those songs you mentioned, and "The Division Bell" couldn't have been any better if Waters had been part of the band.
mongofa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 22:02
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by mongofa mongofa wrote:

Come in here dear boy
Roy Harper?!

The obvious choice
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 22:47
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

It was definitley better for the band that Gilmour took over for Syd, without him we would never have heard those excellent classic albums from Dark Side to The Wall... nor the ones that preceded them. Surely, Pink Floyd would never have become the legends they are today.

You know what. Everything happens for a reason. Poor syd though.
Anyway, WISH YOU WERE HERE was a great tribute to him. Omg Syd walked into the studio while they were recording that album and just broke the bands heart to see him the way he was. They barely recognized him!
So so sad.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 22:36

You know what. Everything happens for a reason. Poor syd though.
Anyway, WISH YOU WERE HERE was a great tribute to him. Omg Syd walked into the studio while they were recording that album and just broke the bands heart to see him the way he was. They barely recognized him!
So so sad.

Indeed, too bad that for such a titan of a band to be able to grow, a man had to be broken
Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 06:16
Of course my vote goes to David. Calling Waters a vocalist is a joke. He either whispers or screams, there's nothing in between.
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 02:49
Has to be Roger Waters (he would say so too!).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 14:08
Gilmour over Waters although I like the contrasting vocals especially when used in the same song ie Comfortably Numb.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 21:38
Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

I'm not sure about Waters having that opinion. Not given their vocal abilities in the present at least. A few years ago Gilmour and Waters appeared together on some sort of charity concert, and it was actually Gilmour who was trying to convince Waters sing with him. Waters was rather reluctant, specially because something of the song Gilmour wanted to play (some cover from someone else), the thing is that I remember some interview, or excerpt of one, in which Waters said he didn't want to sing that song because Gilmour had such a beautiful voice and Waters himself couldn't stand up to it. In the end, Gilmour convinced Waters by offering to play Comfortably Numb in one of The Wall shows Waters has been presenting. Back then, I guess both Gilmour and Waters knew perfectly well which parts fitted which singer better, and that's the beauty of the team (including Wright), each one sounds the best on the parts they sing.
Josef_K View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 04:41
A hard one, voted for Waters though. Listened to a version where he and Clapton does "Wish You Were Here" recently in some charity concert and man... what a voice. The other two are incredible as well though, and of course much more technical. Syd is a wonderful singer as well, but comparing him to anyone about anything is simply not possible. Waters, Gilmour and Wright are very talented musicians. Syd was Syd. I guess no one ever understood him, least of all himself.

I also agree that they did their parts better than anyone else could have done them. The problem with Final Cut imo wasn't that Waters took over what should have been Gilmour parts. The problem was that no "Gilmour parts" were written, which is why that album lacks the diversity of previous ones, while still being a masterpiece in it's own right.

Edited by Josef_K - July 03 2013 at 04:42
Leave the past to burn,
At least that's been his own

- Peter Hammill
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 14:46

Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

I'm not sure about Waters having that opinion. Not given their vocal abilities in the present at least. A few years ago Gilmour and Waters appeared together on some sort of charity concert, and it was actually Gilmour who was trying to convince Waters sing with him. Waters was rather reluctant, specially because something of the song Gilmour wanted to play (some cover from someone else), the thing is that I remember some interview, or excerpt of one, in which Waters said he didn't want to sing that song because Gilmour had such a beautiful voice and Waters himself couldn't stand up to it. In the end, Gilmour convinced Waters by offering to play Comfortably Numb in one of The Wall shows Waters has been presenting. Back then, I guess both Gilmour and Waters knew perfectly well which parts fitted which singer better, and that's the beauty of the team (including Wright), each one sounds the best on the parts they sing.

You're right, Waters has no illusions of being the better singer. The charity you're refering to was the Hoping Foundation, to raise money for schooling of Palestinian children. The song Gilmour wanted Waters to perform was To Know him, is to Love Him, a piece they used to play while sound checking back in the day. Both thought it was effing hilarious, giving all the writings about all the bad blood between them.

I also agree on the production skills of the pair. They made the most of the diverse voices in the band. Something I think is missing in TFC, too much of Waters angst to make me stand the album in one go.
However, today when they perform the old classics on their own, I prefer Gilmour's voice since I don't think Waters can sing at all.
It's also worth to notice that on the recordings you always hear Gilmours backing vocals when Waters is credited with the vocals. Like in Shine On...

And the greatest performances of them all is Roy Harper's. LOL

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 07:39
No Syd is an omission. Quite significant I think.

But no Seamus either.Wink
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 08:00
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

No Syd is an omission. Quite significant I think.

But no Seamus either.Wink
On stage Seamus was replaced by Madmoiselle Nobs Big smile
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 17:20
Roy Harper and Clare Tory.
Codera the Great View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 10:49
I really enjoy the manic theatrics of Waters on The Wall and stuff like that a good deal, but I think I'm going to have to go with Gilmour overall, since he is a better "singer", displaying a greater range and showing much more consistency. Love his voice.

Edited by Codera the Great - October 21 2013 at 10:51
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 11:14
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

This poll includes the vocalists in Pink Floyd's most famous lineup.

Syd Barrett!

His inflections were very theatrical and clean, and well done, while also being quite stirring and satirical.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234